Rise of the Tomb Raider [XO, XOX, X360, PS4, P4Pro]

I actually prefer her low poly hair style more. :3 Simple ponytail. Just too bad it looks like garbage closer-up. (Should have made it more like Underworld.)

Last edited:
Here's a more proper comparison.
Difference is not nearly as big as the one above.
But is HDR exclusive to the X?
HDR is not exclusive.
From the actual 'advertisement for the 1X' variant, the only changes from 4Pro are
a) HairFx
b) Higher textures
c) More AF
d) Native resolution vs CBR (4K mode + HQ assets + AF), 4K* vs 1080p (enhanced mode + hair, textures, AF), 60fps mode (resolution and quality not yet defined)
e) possibly in some higher quality specular/lighting/environment/shadows

Though, as written above, it's best to wait for DF to weigh in. Without adding PC into the mix with different settings, you won't be able to gauge the differences between the two.
Not to say you couldn't spot differences, but you'd be left to say, marginally better, same, better; vs 4Pro runs at X, 1X runs at Y according to our PC settings.

Last edited:
HDR is not exclusive.
From the actual 'advertisement for the 1X' variant, the only changes from 4Pro are
a) HairFx
b) Higher textures
c) More AF
d) Native resolution vs CBR
e) possibly in some higher quality specular/lighting/environment/shadows

Though, as written above, it's best to wait for DF to weigh in. Without adding PC into the mix with different settings, you won't be able to gauge the differences between the two.
Not to say you couldn't spot differences, but you'd be left to say, marginally better, same, better; vs 4Pro runs at X, 1X runs at Y according to our PC settings.
Wait, they added HDR to ROTR on the Pro??

Wait, they added HDR to ROTR on the Pro??
I think I read an old DF version that had HDR rendering, and then upon release, it was disabled?
DF writes about it here (now that this new article is out)

We actually saw HDR running on the PC version of the game way back in March 2016 at Nvidia's GTX 1080 launch (there's even a blog post from Nixxes about it), but for reasons unknown, the feature never made its way to users. With this in mind, we're hopeful that HDR support will roll out to all Rise of the Tomb Raider users, regardless of platform.
In one of the older videos, I forget who, not Richard, made mention that 4Pro was likely higher in gamma because of HDR. Well, I guess they were wrong, since it didn't make it to release.

edit ^^ also linked above.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...mb-raider-on-xbox-one-x-improves-over-ps4-pro

Last edited:
Ah! HDR is not really dependant on performance so here's hoping they will patch it on all versions.
Yea I'm not sure why this is the case, or HDR is exclusive to 1X. It's not something MS would pay for, or anyone for that matter.

Maybe they're still tweaking the HDR settings for the game? Could have been a quick and dirty (and rough) implementation back then just to enable it.

considering all platforms have HDR now, no reason not to. I agree it might just be amount of time available to do the work.
And good catch, because 1S is HDR capable, and it doesn't have HDR either.

I'm finally getting around to playing this and enjoying it quite a bit.

I like the mix of exploration, puzzles, stealth and combat. I'm at the Soviet Installation.

PS: I came back to peruse the old thread on it and found the whole controversy around MS exclusivity pretty amusing in hindsight.

I'm finally getting around to playing this and enjoying it quite a bit. I like the mix of exploration, puzzles, stealth and combat. I'm at the Soviet Installation.

I keep forgetting I have this. I got tired of the backtracking over the same area in the second game, how does this one compare?

The second game? This is the second game of the reboot series. Anyway this one was the worst for me. It's still an OK game though.
D'oh! It's Shadow which I have not yet played. Yeah, I found the backtracking across the first major hub in Rise area a bit tedious. With adventure games I the feel of being on a journey and progressing. It's not you, Rise of the Tomb Raider, it's me. :yep2:

Back