The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the load-times. If I remember correctly it's for the tracks. The more impressive part is probably that you can play the whole game without an install. ;) Something that third parties always seem to have trouble with.

...WHY IS THIS GAME SO FAR AWAY!?

I cracked out my DFP and started playing GT5P and man...I really want this game out now. I've already started setting up ladders and time trial challenges for my site...my excitement for this is absurd, lol.

Just the load-times. If I remember correctly it's for the tracks. The more impressive part is probably that you can play the whole game without an install. ;) Something that third parties always seem to have trouble with.

I wasn't even aware there were racing games that have a required install. Goes to show you what I know. Interesting.

Anyway, I have been very impressed with GT5's lighting model. Their color accuracy is unmatched IMO. Does anyone know what type of render target / back buffer they use? (ie. fp16, nao32, rgb(a,e), etc.)

I wasn't even aware there were racing games that have a required install. Goes to show you what I know. Interesting.
I'm not sure about on PS3, but I know Forza 3 on X360 has a second disc of cars that has to be installed if you want to use them. The rest of it can run off the first disc. I imagine that's a space limitation of the DVD vs Blu-ray. That's one thing I always thought was a good move on Sony's behalf.

The install doesn't bother me, though. I've got the room. And I can always delete it later if I need to.

Thanks guys, preordered at game.co.uk, no way am i gonna go cheap on the one game i would have bought any console for.

And... got an Email from game.co.uk, they don´t ship anything above 1kg outside UK
So i went to my local.... GameStop and whoa, they are gonna get it as well, preordered (while watching some small kid ripping of developers, he was buying 2nd hand games :))

Inside Sim Racing's coverage on GT5 @ Gamescom:
(Starts @ 28:00)

The follow up on this one is up now, with a lot more details. It's rather cool to see 'Famine' on there, who's now a Mod on GTPlanet, and he's been on there forever. I've read many a post of his and met him in a few online competitions back when that wasn't real-time yet.

Wow!! I am curious about the handling of the car after that damage.

I assume they offer various options:
No damage, Cosmetic Damage only, Damage effect on controls, Visual Damage and effect on controls?

Wow!! I am curious about the handling of the car after that damage.

I assume they offer various options:
No damage, Cosmetic Damage only, Damage effect on controls, Visual Damage and effect on controls?

Wel they already said you'd be able to run with it off, and my guess would be the same as their's, after trying it out most will turn it off and keep it off.

Hm, damage looks like standard implementation for many racing games today. I.e. predefined changes in model geom + textures. Nothing extraordinary, but anything more advanced isn't really feasible for current or even next gen.

Personally though, most important aspect of having damage is the extra tension it adds to the race, IMO. Knowing that misjudging breaking distance, or not looking in your rear-view mirror can ruin your entire race, makes the win much more rewarding. I couldn't care less whether damage looks impressive or not.

// offtopic:
Inside Sim Racing's coverage on GT5 @ Gamescom:
(Starts @ 28:00)

I wonder if that show has some kind of subliminal message, I still can't figure out what they're reviewing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5-BowDSEc0&feature=channel
:D

Hm, damage looks like standard implementation for many racing games today. I.e. predefined changes in model geom + textures.
No, its not predefined. You can clearly see it on this gif http://i33.tinypic.com/2u5xq9l.gif Its dynamic and depends on velocity and angle.
And You can compare both photos i posted, those are from the same car and damage looks different. Actually on GTplanet there even more damaged Ferrari 458.
This demo hadnt separation, except mercedes' emblem that fall off - http://i53.tinypic.com/2mzdqwo.jpg
Every hanging part has physics. Damage model is really impressive its definitely beyond Grid/Dirt's deformation and something similar to GTA 4 one and all of that on stock cars. And You have to remember that its first PD implementation in history of GT series.

Wonder if the 458 catches fire like in real life
No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not realistic

Many cars will be finished at 35mph accident.

This is what I want from a sim career mode. People must have to earn fake money by winning races to pay for repairs and also get sponsors or manager. When they get into an accident they must have enough money to repair the car or they start from beginning. Otherwise it is just too fake for me.

Many cars will be finished at 35mph accident.

This is what I want from a sim career mode. People must have to earn fake money by winning races to pay for repairs and also get sponsors or manager. When they get into an accident they must have enough money to repair the car or they start from beginning. Otherwise it is just too fake for me.

Its a game ... They cant do that, because You would never finish GT mode. Remember its still a game and its still need to be fun, even on hardcore settings.

Its a game ... They cant do that, because You would never finish GT mode. Remember its still a game and its still need to be fun, even on hardcore settings.
Forza does it. Hell, NFS did it ten years ago. The trick is to make it so that the repair costs never exceed your winnings. If you suck, you won't make much money, but you'll never lose money. It's an incentive to actually get better and not just smash your way through races. I'd actually be disappointed if there wasn't a cost for repairs in GT mode.

But for mechanical damage, we haven't seen how bad it can get yet. I think all the screens and videos we've seen so far have been in Arcade mode, where it seems to be only cosmetic damage, with no change in performance. They've said that the cars will never stop running, but if it's set up anything like Forza, you can still have a race-ending wreck, where the car has to limp back to the pits in no condition to be competitive.

Yes, it's a game, but it's also a simulation racer. Having damage that doesn't really hurt your ability to win races or cost anything for repairs, especially in career mode, isn't what I'd call "simulation".

We have already seen performance damage that stops your car from being able to shift above third for instance.

No, its not predefined. You can clearly see it on this gif http://i33.tinypic.com/2u5xq9l.gif Its dynamic and depends on velocity and angle.
And You can compare both photos i posted, those are from the same car and damage looks different. Actually on GTplanet there even more damaged Ferrari 458.
This demo hadnt separation, except mercedes' emblem that fall off - http://i53.tinypic.com/2mzdqwo.jpg
Every hanging part has physics. Damage model is really impressive its definitely beyond Grid/Dirt's deformation and something similar to GTA 4 one and all of that on stock cars. And You have to remember that its first PD implementation in history of GT series.

No.

I dont really see how this proves its not predefined. But those gifs are of crap quality. I havent seen to much damage media, i have to say, but i would be extremely suprised if it had a dynamic damage model.

You can still have predefined damage and have damage being different when impacting from different angles and velocity. Crash a car in forza 2 at 20mph and at 100mph the damage will be different. Still prescripted stuff. If you crash it again at exact same angle and speed, damage is the same.

The little media i have seen, stuff seem to look the same. The WRC car that has had quite a bit of damage media seems to get the same destruction each time.

From the little media i have seen, the damage does not look dynamic at all. If its based on physics (dynamic) no crash would ever be the same! you understand this right? AFAIK, there is no game that has this.

Not that i care, just give me my goddamn GT5 already!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back