Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
New Year, New Thread.

Previous Thread @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/digital-foundry-article-technical-discussion-2023.63146/

Rules of Engagement : Read before posting or run the risk of losing posting rights in the Tech Forum!

This is principally a technical discussion thread. It is allied to the other tech analysis threads and shares the same rules as those which you should familiarise yourself with. The purpose is to discuss the findings of the Digital Foundry articles on a technical level, including the techniques employed by game developers in their games, and the comparative design decisions off cross-platform titles. Digital Foundry is more closely allied with Beyond3D than other gaming sites which is why they get special mention here! :D

What this thread is not, is a place to complain about a port's quality and make accusations of developers, to offer feedback on the quality of the Digital Foundry writing or the writers' biases, trumpet your preferred console over the other, talk business and sales, or otherwise sidetrack the discussion from talking about the gaming technology covered in the Digital Foundry articles. If you do not post to the required standard, your posts will be removed, and persistent unwanted contributions will see you locked out of the Technology Forum.

If you want to leave editorial feedback for Digital Foundry, the best place is to leave a comment for the relevant article(s).

Any signs that the issue on Xbox is culling related?
I dunno, but I found this interesting issue.

Screenshot-2024-01-04-112202.png

I dunno, but I found this interesting issue.

Screenshot-2024-01-04-112202.png
Yeah I noticed that too but since I haven't played the game I just thought it might be some random generation thing or weather differences that might have blocked it from view. Glad that I'm not the only one that noticed.

City completely Missing on PS5 uhhhhh

@davis.anthony can you Post some screens? I have been working on The Finals so I have Not even had a chance to Watch this yet.

Sure thing Alex, I've only taken one quick shot as I'm play Titanfall 2.

The smaller details are already present on Series-X where as on PS5 they're still fizzling in to view, this is despite PS5 actually being closer to the building than Series-X is too.

You have to look for it, but there does seem to be a slightly higher LOD setting on SeriesX for certain objects.

1.png

Rx6700 clearly outperforming xsx is hard to explain

Not really as the 6700 would benefit from the same performance improvements PS5 enjoys due to it's higher clock speed.

The game was released on last generation consoles so the engine is likely more suited to faster GPU's rather than wide ones.

CP2077_uKxuT79.jpg

Rx6700 clearly outperforming xsx is hard to explain
Just from eyeballing it it looks like the Series X looks a decent bit higher resolution in than the PS5 in that screen.. judging from the steps in the car window frame on the left.

Not really as the 6700 would benefit from the same performance improvements PS5 enjoys due to it's higher clock speed.

The game was released on last generation consoles so the engine is likely more suited to faster GPU's rather than wide ones.
Show me 1 example of game when rx6700 outperform higher amd models

Just from eyeballing it it looks like the Series X looks a decent bit higher resolution in than the PS5 in that screen.. judging from the steps in the car window frame on the left.

Assuming that both systems are at their minimum resolutions there (both are dropping frames) then according to DF that would be 1152p for SX and 1008p on PS5. That would be about 31% higher resolution for Series X.

If frame rate scales roughly linearly with pixel workload between these two resolutions, then that's enough to put the SX about where the PS5 is, even ignoring a slightly higher LOD.

It's bizarre that SX is being made to run higher resolutions (and higher LOD) at stress points, but perhaps it's different folks responsible for the final configuration of SX and PS5 versions.

In the preview of the Phantom Liberty expansion both games had fixed resolution and were constantly dropping frames, and SX was clearly ahead of PS5 in frame rate.

Back