"Square President: FF and DQ no longer PS3 exclusive"

Hardknock said:
While I don't expect SE to take that same drastic measure, I do expect for FF13 and DQ to come to the Xbox 360 depending on how well FFXI sells.
Do you expect FF11 on Xbox 360 actually sells a lot even though it's a 3-4 year old game on PS2/PC? It's a bit more complicated as Wada previously stated that they were willing to put MMORPG client software on as many platforms as possible as it's the way MMORPG business works. Actually they prepared FF11 for Xbox 1 but Xbox Live back then didn't allow it so it was cancelled. If FF13 is MMORPG then it will be on PS3/Xbox 360/PC/PSP/whatever, but I think the probability of single-player titles is on absolute install base in the key market, and machine capabilities.

one said:
Do you expect FF11 on Xbox 360 actually sells a lot even though it's a 3-4 year old game on PS2/PC? It's a bit more complicated as Wada previously stated that they were willing to put MMORPG client software on as many platforms as possible as it's the way MMORPG business works. Actually they prepared FF11 for Xbox 1 but Xbox Live back then didn't allow it so it was cancelled. If FF13 is MMORPG then it will be on PS3/Xbox 360/PC/PSP/whatever, but I think the probability of single-player titles is on absolute install base in the key market, and machine capabilities.

Honestly, I believe it will sell very well. Between console players that want to upgrade from the PS2 version, PC gamers that want upgraded visuals and to be able to play on their HDTVs, and Xbox gamers that never had the oppurtunity to try out the game. And they're having a free Beta test at launch for here and Japan, that should get plenty of word of mouth going. Also check out this picture from the SE summit in Japan:

ff02.jpg

Looks like a lot of Japanese still seem to be genuinely interested in the title even though it may be a few years old... we'll see....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:

Looks like a lot of Japanese still seem to be genuinely interested in the title even though it may be a few years old... we'll see....
I count a total of 13 (Thirteen!) Japanese in that pic (not counting the presenter and the catwoman) :D

Edit: Correction, 14 (Fourteen!)
I didn't count the guy who took the photograph :)

;)

rabidrabbit said:
I count a total of 13 (Thirteen!) Japanese in that pic (not counting the presenter and the catwoman) :D

;)

:LOL: Okay let me clarify, BlimBlim stated his correspondent that was at the event was really surprised at the attention FFXI on 360 was getting and that it was drawing pretty big crowds...... so take that as you will....

Wow, while we're discussing this topic, the possibility of the next authentic FF/DQ single-player game on Xbox 360 has been squashed by Wada himself... :eek: Expect IGN and 1up run the story.

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0508/04/news056.html
(machine translation)

According to SquareEnix, as for PS2 and XBOX shares, in Japan PS2 has 79% and Xbox has 7%, and in the US PS2 has 60% and Xbox has 22%, but if you look at the figures in the last 1 year, it's a tie in the US with almost the same amount shipped.

Therefore, in terms of worldwide, the shares are different in each territory, so they'll be territorially segregated, says Wada. So they're "currently positive about everything" and also in terms of cost recovery, multiplatform strategy is quite probable, he suggests. But according to him, as Dragon Quest series and Final Fantasy series are "extremely-tuned-up works just like F-1 racing cars", making them multiplatform is impossible as it stands.

Phew, yesterday MSN-Mainichi article and someone at SCE resented it? ;)

I love the way you spinned the article!! :p

Therefore, it is different to share each region when thinking in world wide, and with Mr. Wada ..might advance by regional habitat segregation in the future... I hear that it is "Under the present situation "State to affirm everything"", and therefore, there can be development with the multi-platform enough even if it says from the point of cost collection. I hear, it was "Because it is a work that even ultimateness is done the tune by the one like F1 and announced, the multi-platform is impossible under the present situation" however as for "Dragon quest" series and "Final Fantasy" series.

He's talking about current gen my friend ;-)

He goes on to say:

Moreover, Mr. Wada talks for middleware to become important in the future about the development of the next generation machine. 「After the house was built my having made it for one screw up to now, and everything ended, the house was broken and built. However, this is impossible when becoming a spec like the next generation machine. Developing middleware using it becomes important. 」(Mr. Wada)。

I think he's referencing Middleware to be able to easily port next-gen games between each platform. :)

Hardknock said:
I think he's referencing Middleware to be able to easily port next-gen games between each platform. :)

I think that's more of a spin than anything one suggested..

Middleware between games (i.e. not starting from scratch with each new title) does not necessarily imply middleware for cross-platform development.

Titanio said:
I think that's more of a spin than anything one suggested..

Middleware between games (i.e. not starting from scratch with each new title) does not necessarily imply middleware for cross-platform development.

He specifically mentions EA and Criterion. Isn't EA Multiplatform? And isn't Criterion's software a multiplatform middle-ware?

"The manufacturer that supplies middleware by itself is not held". Mr. Wada touches about the point that the electronic arts purchased the Criterion software.

Hardknock said:
I love the way you spinned the article!! :p
He's talking about current gen my friend ;-)
No no no, he's talking about the regionally segregated future... and he says he's positive about multiplatform, however, he adds a caveat, DQ/FF, which possibly mean the main series in this context, are different as they represent cutting-edge.

He says middleware is important, but according to the article
He says they won't hold a middleware company in-house, though. Referring to the case that EA bought Criterion Software, getting it in-house prohibits it from doing as many cases to improve its technique, and also it's impossible to continue to release titles that actually push up the technique, so they won't buy middleware makers, said Wada.

I don't know how well FFXI is going to sell for XBox, if only becuase I think it's a pretty bad game and I wanted myself to like it quite a bit. But at level 14 in the PC version, I was done with it. Also I browse a number of forums and a lot of XBox fans seem to outright resent the 'leftovers' Square is offering them here - especially since this game is going to break with Live! tradition and not have voice-chat support.

I don't know... maybe it will end up selling really well afterall. But I just wouldn't think so.

With FF and DQ, Japan is still the primary market for these games - so it will be the Japanese install base that matters most. I truly believe that means PS3, but I'm always ready to expect the unexpected.

rabidrabbit said:

;)

Seventeen not counting the phtographer. I wouldnt buy FFXI for x360 cause its old now.. not when FFXIII is coming for PS3* around the same time....

* may or may not be exclusive

one said:
No no no, he's talking about the regionally segregated future... and he says he's positive about multiplatform, however, he adds a caveat, DQ/FF, which possibly mean the main series in this context, are different as they represent cutting-edge.

He says middleware is important, but according to the article

If anything, this more heavily suggests a "specific tech for specific games for specific systems" approach (which frankly, I'd be very happy about - I'd prefer exclusive titles for each system that really takes advantage of each, vs "generic crossplatform engine #224", which Wada seems to be cautioning against - "can't push up the technique" etc?).

Although this is somewhat at odds with their online strategy..although I guess the idea of open networks overrides that for them.

edit - apparently there's another interview with Wada on WatchImpress with more discussion of multiplatform? Apparently it may be more indicative of a stronger multiplatform strategy than the quotes in the ITmedia article.

Titanio said:
edit - apparently there's another interview with Wada on WatchImpress with more discussion of multiplatform? Apparently it may be more indicative of a stronger multiplatform strategy than the quotes in the ITmedia article.

Well don't be hesitant to provide some links or quotes. The more the merrier! :)

I think Square wants a piece of the US market, I mean they're growth potential is very limited in Japan, and in order to keep the board happy and increase revenues you have to expand your markets.

I don't think we'll see cross-platform FF games, unless the systems prove to close enough technologically that it makes sense, but I think it's safe to say we should see a number of exclusive games from SE for the x360, if I had to guess I would say a different FF, or maybe the next MMO final fantasy... I wonder when they will spill the beans....

Translation of the mainichi article:

PlayStation 2 hold on 'Dragon Quest,' 'Final Fantasy' may end

The popular games "Dragon's Quest" and "Final Fantasy," which have up until now been marketed for the PlayStation 2 game console, may be made available for several next-generation game consoles in the future, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada has indicated.

Speaking on Wednesday, Wada said, "The market for next generation game consoles will be divided into 'high end' and 'low end' according to the wishes of users, so rather than one type of hardware surging ahead, the share will be divided between various game consoles."

Accordingly, major games will be developed on various types of hardware based on market conditions. In the end this will lead to an overall increase in game users, Wada indicated.

Square Enix has already announced that services for the online version of Final Fantasy XI will be extended beyond the current PlayStation 2 and Windows platforms to the Xbox 360 next-generation game console.

The company is reportedly aiming to establish its PlayStation 2 game "Dragon Quest 8," which will go on sale in the United States in November, on the overseas market, while developing related games to go on sale there. (Mainichi)

Read it carefully folks... Wada is just saying that they'll be making games tuned to the platforms audience. More simply, S-E will make games for the 360 that are more in line with American tastes and make games for the PS3 that are more in line with Japanese tastes. He's not talking about multiplatforming FF or DQ. Make the product that best appeals to the market, that's all he's saying. He's also hinting at the polmorphism entertainment he goes on about... which will probably just mean more S-E anime based games... whoo.

I don't think we'll see cross-platform FF games, unless the systems prove to close enough technologically that it makes sense, but I think it's safe to say we should see a number of exclusive games from SE for the x360, if I had to guess I would say a different FF, or maybe the next MMO final fantasy... I wonder when they will spill the beans....

Porting your usual Final Fantasy RPG should be "trivial" with next gen´s consoles. I mean FFs have never been technical masterpieces and FF7/8 were ported to PC before. If done right a port should cost less than the translation to english.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Wada is just saying that they'll be making games tuned to the platforms audience. More simply, S-E will make games for the 360 that are more in line with American tastes and make games for the PS3 that are more in line with Japanese tastes.

SE's most popular American franchise to date is? Final Fantasy.

Obviously we can't read too much into this, but it seems very obvious to me that one way or another SE is planning on a unique FF game for x360, there's just too much money too be made not to, especially with MS willing to help foot the bill.

SE also has grand plans for MMO games, and the 360 is the console with a built in HD and a huge established online community, so I predict FF13 on PS3, perhaps ported to x360 as well, in addition a FF-MMORPG for x360 and PC cross-platform, perhaps ported to PS3.

@Scooby: I can see things going that route as well. Until Sony's HDD plans are known, and knowing Square's intent to grow their online generated revenue, 360 as a possible MMORPG target (for square and others) can't be ignored.

Sony owns to many franchises themselves though not to be aware of this, C'mon hard drive 'value pack!' :)

Ya, SE is obviously very big on the whole MMO-cross platform idea if you listened to their E3 speech.

Sounds like, ideally, they would like to have the same game out on PS3, x360 and PC(revolution if it's capable) and have players from all 3 or 4 platforms playing together. I think x360 is the obvious platform to start from(just because they have MMO's comin out the ying-yang) and that the others will recieve ports...

also we know that Moore and SE came to a deal, this was printed in Moore's Bio at some event "Forged hand shaking alliace with..." or som,ething to that extent, and a MMO-FF-RPG exclusive seems like a perfect fit to something MS and SE would both be looking for...

Actually, read what I said again, carefully. I'm not talking about pre-existing IPs. I'm talking about NEW IPs geared towards the preceived markets of both consoles. I don't know why everyone automatically assumes it's an FF that's going to be made. Look at other Japanese developers, they're saying the exact same thing... we'll make properties that take the specific traits of a console and their market base and develop a game specifically aimed at them. I really doubt this has anything to do with FF or DQ, those are simply the gotos everyone thinks of when you mention Square-Enix.... believe it or not they actually make a TON of games besides FF and DQ. Take it how you like, but this looks to be nothing but silly speculation based on ancedotal thought that if S-E is doing a game it MUST be an FF or DQ.

Back