"Square President: FF and DQ no longer PS3 exclusive"

jvd said:
What you don't think that ms wouldn't pay just as much to have it multi system ?

Just let that sink in

Ms offers what sony offers plus a second market to sell the product too. Which in the end means more money for square than sonys deal

Why would u pay just to have the game "multi-system"..lol
It will be depended on how X360 sells in Japan, as I will say it again...going multiplatform with a game like FF will cost a lot more than just developing it as exclusive game for single platform, if they plan to make that game as one of the highest quality for each platform(Exclusive games are usually "better" than multiplatform games). X360 must prove in Japanese market in order to get those flagship titles as simutaneous release, if not, then best case scenario would be ports of them in western markets only.

JasonLD said:
It will be depended on how X360 sells in Japan, as I will say it again...going multiplatform with a game like FF will cost a lot more than just developing it as exclusive game for single platform, if they plan to make that game as one of the highest quality for each platform(Exclusive games are usually "better" than multiplatform games). X360 must prove in Japanese market in order to get those flagship titles as simutaneous release, if not, then best case scenario would be ports of them in western markets only.

No it won't. This is not PS2 vs. Xbox. Both systems are using PC manufactuers for the GPUs, it should be extremely easy to port things from one system to the other.

Hardknock said:
No it won't. This is not PS2 vs. Xbox. Both systems are using PC manufactuers for the GPUs, it should be extremely easy to port things from one system to the other.

No, I don't think so..
Sure they are using ATI and Nvidia as GPU manufacturers but PS3 and Xbox360 are apple and orange in terms of their architecture...their capabilities might be similar, but it won't be easy to port games from one to another.
FF series was one of the highest quality games simply because it was heavily tuned game for one console. If they want to achieve that same lv of quality even with going multiplatform, then they will probably have to have 2x as many programmers and that will probably raise significant amount of development cost...according to news by ITmedia, Wada did say that they are kind of looking at multiplatform as a possibility, but as of now, heavily tuned games like FF and DQ are not likely going multiplatform..
So basically, every news has slightly different quotes and everything and they blew it up so effectively that everyone is saying like FF and DQ are definitely becoming multiplatform games.

Bingo. The GPUs are probably similar enough to a degree, but I imagine its going to be the CPUs that end up being the big hurdle with next gen ports. A game highly optimized for Cell+RSX ported to Xenon+Xenos and vice versa could wind up being very difficult (which means more development cost).

I have a feeling most co-developed multiplatform games wont take much advantage of the CPU horsepower, leaning heavily on the GPU to make for a more seamless process. If the movement is towards less 3rd party exclusive or target hardware content next gen it isnt exactly a good thing in my eyes. I think its invariably going to water down developers from getting the most out of the respective hardware.

Hmm lets see. why would u pay to make some of your rivals biggest games no longer console exclusive ?

Hmm I wonder. ... Hmmm mabye because its x amount of reasons less to go for that console ? Less big third party exclusives for sony means more chances for ms to lure away gamers .

Getting an exclusive to no longer be exclusive is almost as good as getting a game exclusive to your system .

IF you take away enough exclusives and get yourself enough exclusives you will have more people buying your system.

t will be depended on how X360 sells in Japan, as I will say it again...going multiplatform with a game like FF will cost a lot more than just developing it as exclusive game for single platform, if they plan to make that game as one of the highest quality for each platform

Please show me one ff or dragon warrior game that has pushed any system . The answer is none . The games are crappy 3d for thier time with pretty cgi videos and have been for a long time (though that new dw looks nice but still not pushing the ps2)

So realisticly the only problem with putting a ff on xbox 360 is storage space. however they can just use 2 dvds Or compress them highly and send them to the hdd to uncompress and be shown .

There is no reason why art and most of the game code can't be shared. You have the xenos which is dx 9 + and the rsx which is dx 9 + in its capabilitys .

Sure they are using ATI and Nvidia as GPU manufacturers but PS3 and Xbox360 are apple and orange in terms of their architecture...their capabilities might be similar, but it won't be easy to port games from one to another.
As I mentioned above the only thing that would cause problems are the cpu . THe rest of the code and art should be easly ported

FF series was one of the highest quality games simply because it was heavily tuned game for one console
Once again graphicly the games were not high quality. THey were mediocer for thier time . The only thing that would need to be worked on once again is the cpu parts of the code . If they are smart though during development they can easily take care of both consoles .

Wada did say that they are kind of looking at multiplatform as a possibility, but as of now, heavily tuned games like FF and DQ are not likely going multiplatform..
What they are going to do is release smaller games in the first year or so of the xbox 360s life and see how they do . If ff online and whatever else they are planing on meet thier expectations or succed them they will go multiplatform . For a company like them there is no reason why they wont hit two installed bases .

It will be even easier for them to decide if the xbox 360 sells very well . Even with out a major success in japan

"Lost in Translation? Square Enix denies going promiscuous."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142692

Square Enix is quick to deny that this translates into anything concrete. A spokesperson explained to us today what Wada meant to say: "As the next generation consoles are all looking attractive, game developers may have more options to create a multiplatform game." When the reporter for the Mainichi asked about Dragon Quest, Wada did say that DQ may "have a chance", but Square Enix has no plans to go anywhere else with the venerable franchise. As for everybody's favorite Final Fantasy, the spokesperson responded, "Our purpose is to develop each new Final Fantasy to reach the limit of available technology, so it will be difficult to think of a multiplatform option.

Our purpose is to develop each new Final Fantasy to reach the limit of available technology, so it will be difficult to think of a multiplatform option.

Mmmm... FF games were never exactly the all end all when it comes to technology, apart from the gorgeous FMV videos.
They were always some of the best looking games around, but more because of the art and design than technology itself.

Also the scope of Final Fantasy games are pretty large. I would imagine porting a game with over 100 Hours of play value over multiple consoles would be very hard...i've clocked 120 Hours with FFX myself.... o_O

EDIT: You can say the same for Dragon Quest...those games are very...very....very very very long..I like it like that though.

But porting a game would only involve porting the engine, everything else stays the same - considering, with same amounts of RAM, ps3 and x360 should have the same game assets.

So, the fact that the game might be longer doesn't mean that porting it will be impossible. The hard part is getting the engine to run on a different platform, then you can just move all the assets over and that's it. Should be even easier than porting the GTA games between PS2 and Xbox or PC these days.

london-boy said:
But porting a game would only involve porting the engine, everything else stays the same - considering, with same amounts of RAM, ps3 and x360 should have the same game assets.

So, the fact that the game might be longer doesn't mean that porting it will be impossible. The hard part is getting the engine to run on a different platform, then you can just move all the assets over and that's it. Should be even easier than porting the GTA games between PS2 and Xbox or PC these days.

Ahhh ok, I guess SquareEnix's reluctance to even pass along the idea that they have the ability to make DQ and FF multiplatform is their way of stepping on eggshells. I would find it pretty weird if FF was spanned to multiple consoles...but FF didn't originate from the Playstation (as has been already stated), so whos to say that this move couldn't happen.

I see FF and DQ spanning over to Nintendo more likley than the 360...I honestly don't think theres a fan base for the 360 platform to actually invest money in making these games span over to that system. But Square is turning EA'esque so it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Back