Resident Evil 4 (PS2) sales figures

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
From magicbox -

Capcom revealed its software sales for the 2005 financial year (Jan4, 2005 - Mar 31, 2006):
Biohazard 4 / Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
- Japan - 490,000 units
- North America - 610,000 units
- Europe - 710,000 units
How much did GC version sell?

I think those numbers are for total sales of RE4 GC+PS2. Magic box probably got it wrong. RE4 for GC came out in Jan 2005.;) There's no way the downgraded PS2 version would've sold 1.8 million units when it came out in fall of 2005.:LOL:;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
I think those numbers are for total sales of RE4 GC+PS2. Magic box probably got it wrong. RE4 for GC came out in Jan 2005.;) There's no way the downgraded PS2 version would've sold 1.8 million units when it came out in fall of 2005.:LOL:;)

Resident Evil 4 PS2 Capcom
Japan: 0.49
America: 0.61
Others: 0.71
Total: 1.81

Resident Evil 4 GC Capcom
Japan: 0.22
America: 0.81
Others: 0.41
Total: 1.44

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php?name=resid&console=&publisher=&sort=Total

Really good for a "downgraded version" LOL

NANOTEC said:

Why not? PS2 has a much higher number of installed units and the RE brand had always good sales on PS2. So I doubt that Magicbox would make such an obvious mistake...

ManuVlad3.0 said:

Why would Capcom release RE4 PS2 numbers and not RE4 GC numbers?:LOL:
BTW where did you find that home made site?:LOL:

hupfinsgack said:
Why not? PS2 has a much higher number of installed units and the RE brand had always good sales on PS2. So I doubt that Magicbox would make such an obvious mistake...

Because the monthly sales following its release doesn't jive with the total numbers.;)

According to this site; RE4 sold 3 million worldwide, PS2+GC. So just subtract the figures for a rough estimate. But I guess ManuVlad has a better breakdown.

BTW, how is the PS2 version a downgrade with new weapons and a new scenario? :rolleyes:

NANOTEC said:
Why would Capcom release RE4 PS2 numbers and not RE4 GC numbers?:LOL:

Because the monthly sales following its release doesn't jive with the total numbers.;)

I am sorry, but you're deluding yourself. Just because Capcom release numbers for specific platform instead of total number - which is by the way not an uncommon practise - doesn't mean that they're the total number.

NANOTEC said:
There's no way the downgraded PS2 version would've sold 1.8 million units when it came out in fall of 2005.:LOL:;)
There's like 5x as many PS2's out there! Proportionally RE4 only has to appeal to 20% of the userbase relative to GC's RE4 appeal to match it - eg. if 10% of GC owners bought RE4, only 2% of PS2 owners would need to to match the sale. For a game like RE4 that garnered a lot of attention that's not unlikely.

drpepper said:
According to this site; RE4 sold 3 million worldwide, PS2+GC. So just subtract the figures for a rough estimate. But I guess ManuVlad has a better breakdown.

BTW, how is the PS2 version a downgrade with new weapons and a new scenario? :rolleyes:

Do a search for the PS2 vs GC RE4 thread.;)

Oh it says shipped not sold.

hupfinsgack said:
You're doubting Capcom's own numbers? :rolleyes:

Capcom's numbers are shipped. We all know the that shipped numbers can be very different from solds numbers. In fact in the case of SONY, they like to quote shipped numbers because shipped numbers are twice as big as sold numbers. There was a thread about this in the handheld forum.

hupfinsgack said:
You're doubting Capcom's own numbers? :rolleyes:

He means the graphics. The PS2 lost a few effects over the GC version. (But gained full-res widescreen, which had a rather significant effect on the graphics for me.) And of course the PS2 had more content, which is what the Nintendo fans are all about, so I don't get that there is even a discussion anyway. ;)

Of course, when comparing the GC and the PS2, you also have to take into account that the GC people just don't get nearly as much software love. No competition for the gamer's wallet from the likes of God of War, Devil May Cry, GT4, Ace Combat, Final Fantasy X, and what not. ;) (ok I'll shut-up now)

Arwin said:
He means the graphics. The PS2 lost a few effects over the GC version. (But gained full-res widescreen, which had a rather significant effect on the graphics for me.) And of course the PS2 had more content, which is what the Nintendo fans are all about, so I don't get that there is even a discussion anyway. ;)

Of course, when comparing the GC and the PS2, you also have to take into account that the GC people just don't get nearly as much software love. No competition for the gamer's wallet from the likes of God of War, Devil May Cry, GT4, Ace Combat, Final Fantasy X, and what not. ;) (ok I'll shut-up now)

how is your post related to the text you quotet?, hup was talking about sales numbers...

edit: Nanotec is in serious denial...

NANOTEC said:
Capcom's numbers are shipped. We all know the that shipped numbers can be very different from solds numbers. In fact in the case of SONY, they like to quote shipped numbers because shipped numbers are twice as big as sold numbers. There was a thread about this in the handheld forum.

They aren't that much different. The game has sold slightly more on PS2 than on GC, regardless of shipped vs sold numbers and the sales are around 3 million sold worldwide. It shouldn't be hard to accept or understand.

Dr Evil said:
how is your related to the text you quotet?, hup was talking about sales numbers...

drpepper: BTW, how is the PS2 version a downgrade with new weapons and a new scenario?

NANOTEC: Do a search for the PS2 vs GC RE4 thread. ;)

hupfinsgack: You are doubtings Capcom's own numbers?

Arwin: He means the graphics.

But maybe I misinterpreted hupfinsgack here.

As of March 2005 RE4 GC had shipped 1.23 million units worldwide, according to Capcom. These are the numbers broken down:

North America - 660,000 (in 3 months)
Europe - 360,000 (in 2 weeks)
Japan - 210,000 (in 1 month).

I doubt the numbers for RE4GC posted above can be compared directly to the RE4PS2 numbers. The site they're posted from doesn't have PS2 numbers so you can't be sure both numbers come from the same source (the site could be using NPD ect while the PS2 numbers are from Capcom). Also the numbers from that site were only tracked up until December 2005.

I'd be interested to see numbers for both versions direct from Capcom, I'll have a look and see what are the newest numbers I can find for RE4GC from Capcom.

Back