SCEA announces holiday sales figures (PSP: 1.4m, PS2: 1.3m, PS3: 1.2m)

It's more expensive than that! But at the same time, no more expensive than PS2 was in 2001. Or at least, my friend said the other day that seeing PS3 for £270 at the moment, that's what he paid for his PS2 in 2001. So for the same money as people were willing to spend back in '01, they get a much more feature rich package.
When the PS2 launched I've paid 550€ (22.000 Belgian francs at that time) for the machine. The PS3 I bought for 599€ (including a launchgame of my own choice) so the machine isn't allot more expensive then the PS2 here.

But what the article does mention is that the pricedrop from 599 (881$) to 400€ (586$) did have it's impact and since then the machine is selling at a faster rate.

I can believe that software projects started now might be aimed at the next XBox. This would be consistent with a 2011-2012 launch, not a 2009 launch.

But we are back to your dubious assertion that the 360 is more ripe for replacement than the PS3. Logic doesn't support it, and the holiday sales don't support it, and you've dug up the most questionable rumors as evidence. I really don't see what this contributes to the discussion at hand.

One of my assertions was the possibility that hints of 720 might come out some time during this year, and that this could affect 360 sales. We don't know if such will come out or not, but I commented on the rumors to back my original assertion regarding the possibility of such.

As for why I posted the rumors, I was asked about them.

Of course it can be further away than 1-2 years, game development cycles of 3 years and more are not uncommon anylonger.

Yes I know, that's why I said likely, and not certainly. I also assumed that since it was rumored to be planned for 360 before being rumored to be moved to 720, and that it was rumored to be a sequel, that development might have already been underway for some time.

See how one game, that's probably gonna be in development for at least 3 years, has suddenly turned into moving games to a new platform?

FUD. Stop it please.

That's what the rumor says. It was planned for 360 but moved to 720.

AnywayVGchart is really biaised.
If you take NPD charts.
for the 360 the vgchart cumulated numbers are almost the same as NPD ones
for the Wii the vgchart are slightly increased in regard to NPD ones
for the ps3 the vgchart are even more increased in regard to NPD ones.
When it comes to the US rough calculations at other boards, based on sony's announcement numbers. Have it at 800-900K as likely to be the NPD numbers for december.

My point is that there's only one rumored game, and you're already talking about multiple games, and as a fact. That's FUD.

My point is that there's only one rumored game, and you're already talking about multiple games, and as a fact. That's FUD.

I said if it turns out to be true, not that it was a fact. Also the way the sentence is constructed I couldn't use game in singular without it looking and sounding weird.

If it turns out to be true that they're already moving games from 360 to 720, than it too logically suggests that it likely can't be further than 1-2 years.

Top games can easily take 3-4-5 years to develop. So that really tells us nothing, except MS is being smart by ensuring they have at least ONE launch title for their next console that is not a total rushjob.

Also, if MS continues to beat Sony, there is little motivation for them to launch a new console. With the software sales they are seeing the royalties, combined with profit on the hardware, will begin to add up to some excellent profits.

Also the way the sentence is constructed I couldn't use game in singular without it looking and sounding weird.

No actually, you could easily have bgeen accurate by saying "If it turns out to be true, and they are already moving a game over to 720...".

Top games can easily take 3-4-5 years to develop. So that really tells us nothing, except MS is being smart by ensuring they have at least ONE launch title for their next console that is not a total rushjob.

Also, if MS continues to beat Sony, there is little motivation for them to launch a new console. With the software sales they are seeing the royalties, combined with profit on the hardware, will begin to add up to some excellent profits.

I also assumed it was likely for some development to have already taken place if it was planned for xbox 360.

No actually, you could easily have bgeen accurate by saying "If it turns out to be true, and they are already moving a game over to 720...".

It didn't occur to me at the time, and sadly I can't edit it after the fact.

Like to add to the fact that games in long development doesn't necessary means actually game implementation, but as in business (securing rights and making deals) development, planning resources etc. Some games can be on drawing broads for years, even before targeting for a release. But as in all biz dev, it's resource planning not actual implementation, as I don't think there's even a 720 pre-alpha to work with.

Xbox 360 beat out Wii in UK? Is that even possible? Something is wrong, here...

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/uk-game-industry-enjoys-staggering-growth-in-2007/19038/?biz
In terms of value, the Xbox 360 was tops, followed by PS2 (down from top spot in 2006), then Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PS3. Looking at the systems in terms of units sold, however, the order changes to PS2 (but #2 overall behind DS, the first time it has not been the biggest format since 2003), followed by Xbox 360, Wii and PS3.

Value (total consumer dollars spent on hardware sales) is a silly way of measuring sales success. Volume of sales (ie, your future market) and software sales (that market's spend patterns) is all publishers - ie the ones you want to influence - will care about.

Amazing that PS2 hasn't reached its saturation point.

There are a lot of people in the world for whom $100 would be the equivelent of $400 for you. Also a lot of people have ps2 libraries and with no backwards compatibility on the 40gb they have to buy a new ps2 if they old one breaks. Im on my second now and I have a 60gb model.

Back