RE4 worldwide sales numbers. Teasy should be happy.

PC-Engine

Banned
Biohazard 4 / Resident Evil 4 for GameCube has sold 1.23 million copies worldwide, here are the breakdown:

Japan - 210,000 units
Europe - 360,000 units
North America - 660,000 units

From Magicbox.

I'm sure they would have sold more in Europe if Nintendo actually bothered getting copies in the shops...

Diplo said:
I'm sure they would have sold more in Europe if Nintendo actually bothered getting copies in the shops...
Blame UK retailers, not Nintendo.

Would have sold much better if they didn't announce the PS2 version upon NGC release.

Yeah I saw these a coulple of days ago, they come direct from Capcom. Good numbers, especially since they're only up to March 31st. Something else I noticed is that Capcom want to sell 2 million on PS2.. not sure that will happen at all.

Vysez

Not sure how retailers can be to blame. Every retailer I've talked to here has been scrambling to find the game since launch. But only managing to find copies here and there.

As I imagined, it underperformed. RE4 was supposed to sell 1.8 million copies. Capcom´s target for the PS2 version is crazy, though, 2 million units for a port? I´ll have to see it to believe it.

Almasy said:
As I imagined, it underperformed. RE4 was supposed to sell 1.8 million copies. Capcom´s target for the PS2 version is crazy, though, 2 million units for a port? I´ll have to see it to believe it.

Capcom screwed their sales by 1. missing the holiday shopping season and 2. announcing the PS2 port before the GCN version even shipped.

That said, 1.2M in less than 3 months is not bad. With meager competition this fall (i.e. Zelda and who knows what else) it should improve on those sales this holiday season.

Actually, it will be interesting to see how a late port sells on the PS2. Such a high quality game and 4x or more the install base it should sell very good. I think this will be interesting because if sales are not leaps and bounds better I think it puts a dagger in one of the fav naysayer theories, namely that GCN customers wont buy ports (never to mind they can be late and lower quality, especially early this gen). If one of the most critically acclaimed games this generation, and one of the best looking, has sluggish sales on the PS2 it would indicate that this is not a GCN issue only. Of course if it sells 5-8M copies then it says the reverse.

Its selling far better then you predicted it would though.

The 1.8 million number, if it did indeed come from Capcom, would be an estimate for the whole year. So the game has another 9 months left to sell the remaining 550,000 worldwide and reach its target.

I agree 2 million is a lot to expect for the PS2 version. Its definitely what they expect though, its in Capcoms latest financial report. I can give you a link if you want.

Teasy said:
I agree 2 million is a lot to expect for the PS2 version. Its definitely what they expect though, its in Capcoms latest financial report. I can give you a link if you want.
I do believe he's saying "I'd have to see them hit 2 million sales before I believe they're capable." ;) I also don't think they'll get anywhere near that many, unless we're counting extended sales after they've been a Greatest Hits title for a few years or something...

Unless for some reason they're planning a huge marketing blitz.

This is one great game & I would love to see it ported to the X360- (PS3 will probably be out in time for RE5) -in full 16x9 720p and true discreet 5.1 (or better) audio.

Considering that the game was letterboxed/non anamorphic on the GC @ 1.85:1 within the 1.33:1 aspect ratio @ 640x480 resolution, an X360 port using true 720p 16x9 would have over 4 times the resolution (921,600 pixels vs ~ 221,400 on the GC.)

Add in better lighting/shadows.. they may even have an easier time of porting it due to the experience of working with ATI chipsets on the GC.

Should look outstanding :oops: as the art direction on that game was fantastic.. only trumped IMHO by Final Fantasy X.

Sean*O said:
This is one great game & I would love to see it ported to the X360- (PS3 will probably be out in time for RE5) -in full 16x9 720p and true discreet 5.1 (or better) audio.

Considering that the game was letterboxed/non anamorphic on the GC @ 1.85:1 within the 1.33:1 aspect ratio @ 640x480 resolution, an X360 port using true 720p 16x9 would have over 4 times the resolution (921,600 pixels vs ~ 221,400 on the GC.)

Add in better lighting/shadows.. they may even have an easier time of porting it due to the experience of working with ATI chipsets on the GC.

Should look outstanding :oops: as the art direction on that game was fantastic.. only trumped IMHO by Final Fantasy X.

By FFX ei :LOL:

Teasy said:

The 1.8 million number, if it did indeed come from Capcom, would be an estimate for the whole year. So the game has another 9 months left to sell the remaining 550,000 worldwide and reach its target.

Far better? I predicted 600k tops in north america, and it hasn´t even reached 500k million units yet.

Oh, and what cthellis42 said was right, I meant that I don´t believe Capcom will meet that number with it´s port, it´s crazy.

That said, RE:CV did sell 800k in NA alone, so we´ll see.

Almasy said:
Teasy said:

Far better? I predicted 600k tops in north america, and it hasn´t even reached 500k million units yet.

Oh, and what cthellis42 said was right, I meant that I don´t believe Capcom will meet that number with it´s port, it´s crazy.

That said, RE:CV did sell 800k in NA alone, so we´ll see.

Well actually, it has reached 500 "thousand" units, it is apparently 660 "thousand".

Almasy said:
The first game to sell even 400k million units will cause the publisher to spontaneously combust, and give a bonus to each and every employee who will then do the rarest drugs ever and have sex with fifty supermodels (apiece) until they die. :LOL:

cthellis42 said:
Almasy said:
The first game to sell even 400k million units will cause the publisher to spontaneously combust, and give a bonus to each and every employee who will then do the rarest drugs ever and have sex with fifty supermodels (apiece) until they die. :LOL:

amen ;)

Well I think that RE4 can reach 2 million copies. If they push it as much as Sony pushed God of War. ;) With 89 million units oh yeah its very possible. You have to remember there are millions of people like me with a PS2 and PSone that were used to real Resident Evils, not those crappy Outbreaks.

I've been dying to play this game. And I'll be slobbing out the mouth come this Christmas.
________
VAPORIZER WHOLESALE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back