SCEA announces holiday sales figures (PSP: 1.4m, PS2: 1.3m, PS3: 1.2m)

Titanio

Legend
All figures are Nov 23 - Dec 31.

Scary how close all their platforms are! And for once SCEA seems pleased, and not spinning the performance of a certain console.

http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/280815.html

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Jan. 6 --
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced PlayStation(R) hardware retail sales reached more than 3.9 million units in North America during the critical holiday sales window (Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007). This accounts for SCEA's three systems currently in the market PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)), PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) and PlayStation(R)2 (PS2). PS3 retail sales reached 1.2 million hardware units during this holiday timeframe.

"The PlayStation brand ended the year in a very strong position and clearly indicates more positive momentum going into 2008. We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The strong PS3 sales also further establish Blu-ray's dominant position as the high-definition medium of choice for games and movies. Consumers are clearly responding to the expanding multimedia capabilities and a great line-up of over 200 games."

Sales of PSP reached 1.4 million units during this same timeframe. The success of the recently introduced Daxter(TM) PSP(R) Entertainment Pack and Star Wars Battlefront(R) PSP Entertainment Pack have continued to swell the PSP install base. Upcoming platform defining software such as God of War(R): Chains of Olympus and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core will further increase PSP momentum in 2008.

PS2 sales exceeded 1.3 million units during its eighth holiday season. The industry's most successful platform is poised for another great year in 2008 with the continued success of the critically-acclaimed Buzz(TM) and SingStar(R) franchises.

Good news for Sony :smile:

iirc, Michael Pachter predicted somewhere around 700-800k PS3's sold in NA so its great to hear they sold more.

So, as it adds in the last week's sales from november, the total for the PS3 should be a bit less then 1 million in NPD's december report, right?

Good news for Sony :smile:

iirc, Michael Pachter predicted somewhere around 700-800k PS3's sold in NA so its great to hear they sold more.

Michael Pachter predicted around 800k PS3's for the December NPD. Which is like December 4 - January. He's probably pretty close. Adding more than a week at the end of november is going to boost that number considerably.

Yeah, the trick is actually quite obvious here, but one week of november probably won't add 400K though. However... is this 1.3 million sold to retail, or to actual customers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the trick is actually quite obvious here, but one week of november probably wonát add 400K though. However... is this 1.3 million sold to retail, or to actual customers?

Well its more than a week, because NPD ran a few days into december, I'd expect he's about 70k low or so and the december NPD will show around 870k.

edit: Well I guess it was only 1 day, looking it up next NDP is Dec 2 to January 5. This also makes December a 5 week month although the days in January probably wont add up to much.

Last edited by a moderator:
December NPD, accoding to GAF rumors:

Wii 1.8 M
360 1.6 M
PS3 0.9 M

Good sales for all consoles.

personally i dont think the ps2/ps3 numbers are that great (esp the ps2 numbers).
im guessing the number of ps3s shipped WW in 2007 must be less than xb360s 7.3million or else they would of mentioned that

just checked the ps2 done NPD 1.4 last year, so 1.3 isnt as bad as i thought (though the 1.3 is prolly ~1.1 cause of sonys artificial chucking in an extra week)

It would have been even more interesting if we got also the European sales for the consoles.There are reports indicating that the PS3 is surpassing the 360 in Europe

Better numbers than I thought I was figuring 650-700k for december npd. Looks like 900k-1 mil will be the number. Still not as good as the 360 last year that had no price cut. The NPD should be fun since MS under shipped premium/elites this december. This should be the closest sony has gotten to MS in a while.

I dunno, I thought X360 was pretty strong in the UK as well...
360 does well in the UK, PS3 usually sells more everywhere else in Europe. VGChartz has had the PS3 outselling the 360 by a fair margin the last couple of weeks (maybe even before that, i haven't really been paying attention) in Europe.

@quest, having no pricecuts is pretty irrelevant... the price at which it was being sold for at the time has more relevance, and the 360 had no direct competition at the time. and NA, by far, being MS's strongest market, i'd say these numbers aren't too shabby.

like Nesh, i'd be very interested to see the numbers for Europe.

Yeah, but the UK 360 sales are usually big enough to compensate for a few countries. I guess the three biggest markets are UK, France, and Germany relatively small compared to its population.

Something like this:

UK LTD:

360 - 1,400,000 (Sep 30)
Wii - 1,000,000 (Aug 26)
PS3 ~ 400,000

France LTD:
Wii ~ 1,000,000
X360 ~500,000
PS3 ~500,000

Germany LTD:
Wii - 389,000
360 - 328,000
PS3 - 172,000

Spain LTD (Early Oct):
Wii - 244,000
PS3 - 218,000
360 - 184,000

Italy LTD:
X360: 267.000
PS3: 150.000
WII: 129.000

And so on; so it seems that the 360 in the UK might be close to balance out the PS3's advantage in Europe... Kinda hard to tell though, as these aren't monthly sales but installed base.

i forget, how many 360's did MS ship last holiday season? wasn't it pretty close?

They sold 1.1 million in december 2006 in the US so the PS3 will still be a fair bit behind that (~20%). It doesn't really seem they will be any closer to the 360 sales in the US (in terms of %) for december than they were in Nov.

Back