SCEA announces holiday sales figures (PSP: 1.4m, PS2: 1.3m, PS3: 1.2m)

First of all aligning the numbers is irrelevant, as the competition is allready here and thats what your up against. Second, sales are not only hardware, but also software and the PS3 software sales are absymal (they are absymal wether you like to compare it to the frist X360 year, or the second, or whatever you want)

Disclaimer: I o not believe that Sony will actually make release a PS4 in 2009. But as far as "likely scenarios" go, Sony is certainly atleast as likely to release a PS4 this soon as Microsoft.

I know there unreliable but according to vgchartz ps3 is starting to outsell 360 WW, software is a different story but ps3 sales are starting to pick up. 360 however is a software seller especially in NA.

First of all aligning the numbers is irrelevant, as the competition is allready here and thats what your up against.
That is true, MS achieved those first year sales numbers when there was now next-gen competition up against them, it´s not really fair or relevant to compare the PS3s first year numbers to those of the 360, the same goes for the first year software sales.

I know there unreliable but according to vgchartz ps3 is starting to outsell 360 WW, software is a different story but ps3 sales are starting to pick up. 360 however is a software seller especially in NA.

Things are looking postivive, but they are still loosing huge amounts of money (they are loosing huge amounts even for being a big company like Sony).

Look, im not saying that either of them will launch anything in 2009, i certainly do not believe they will. Im just saying that a theory about MS launching something in 2009, when they have just started to make some money in this business, is unlikely, and if you look at how the PS3 is doing right now, Sony is more likely to release a new console in 2009 than MS is.

And this is frankly not up for debate, MS has allready posted black quarterly numbers, nothing suggest they will suddenly start loosing more money, quite on the contrary, while Sony is showing huge losses.

You may argue all you want, but the PS3 isn't making Sony any money right now, the X360 is starting to show profits, thus Sony is more likely to do something to improve their situation. This is pretty easy logic to follow

There's a lot of speculative and spurious numbers coming from European "sources", but I don't put much stock in them. I don't for a second believe that PS3 is doing huge numbers at $399 in Europe.
It's more expensive than that! But at the same time, no more expensive than PS2 was in 2001. Or at least, my friend said the other day that seeing PS3 for £270 at the moment, that's what he paid for his PS2 in 2001. So for the same money as people were willing to spend back in '01, they get a much more feature rich package.

If the feature set (and brand) works for Europeans, and taste in the XB360 is low, PS3 could be outselling XB360 by a reasonable margin. I think more depends on how XB360 is appealing than the higher price of PS3. I do doubt any better PS3 sales in Europe could cause a worldwide catch-up to XB360 install base though because of the sales difference in the US.

You may argue all you want, but the PS3 isn't making Sony any money right now, the X360 is starting to show profits, thus Sony is more likely to do something to improve their situation. This is pretty easy logic to follow

If it turns out to be true that they're already moving games from 360 to 720, than it too logically suggests that it likely can't be further than 1-2 years.

I can believe that software projects started now might be aimed at the next XBox. This would be consistent with a 2011-2012 launch, not a 2009 launch.

But we are back to your dubious assertion that the 360 is more ripe for replacement than the PS3. Logic doesn't support it, and the holiday sales don't support it, and you've dug up the most questionable rumors as evidence. I really don't see what this contributes to the discussion at hand.

If it turns out to be true that they're already moving games from 360 to 720, than it too logically suggests that it likely can't be further than 1-2 years.

Of course it can be further away than 1-2 years, game development cycles of 3 years and more are not uncommon anylonger.

I agree with Ostepop we will not see the next generation of consoles from MS or Sony in 2009, nor in 2010 IMO.

If for simplicity we assume that the 360 and PS3 are selling the same numbers monthly world wide, i.e. the PS3 numbers in Japan and Europe make up for the numbers in NA. Going forward an interesting question is will the sales numbers peak at the same time during their life cycles or will one have more stamina than the other?

You could argue that the 360 has a higher installed base from the start that will help it remain competetive and attractive among developers just as the PS2 had. But the difference will in relative terms not be that big if it remains at the current level.

You can also argue that the PS3 has more potential in the long run through more processing power, standard hard-drive and the blu-ray DD, which games should start to take better advantage of within a few years. First party developers will be the first to do that of course.

Within 3 years from now the price difference of the two consoles will be very small. I think it is very hard to make any assumption of that one or the other is bound to be a clear winner within the HD gaming space. We don´t know how long Nintendo will stay out of HD gaming either, one thing is for sure, they are not in a rush to enter that business as things are going right now. They are waiting for the installed base of HD TV sets to reach high penetration levels, while the 360 and the PS3 are helping building that base of HD TV sets. It is very obvious what is most profitable at the moment. I expect their challenge will be to leverage the Wii HD in 2010 or 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it can be further away than 1-2 years, game development cycles of 3 years and more are not uncommon anylonger.

I agree with Ostepop we will not see the next generation of consoles from MS or Sony in 2009, nor in 2010 IMO.

If for simplicity we assume that the 360 and PS3 are selling the same numbers monthly world wide, i.e. the PS3 numbers in Japan and Europe make up for the numbers in NA. Going forward an intersting question is will the sales numbers peek at the same time during their life cycles or will one have more stamina than the other?

You could argue that the 360 has a higher installed base from the start that will help it remain competetive and attractive among developers just as the PS2 had.

You can also argue that the PS3 has more potential in the long run through more processing power, standard hard-drive and the blu-ray DD, which games should start to take better advantage of within a few years.

Within 3 years from now the price difference of the two consoles will be very small. I think it is very hard to make any assumption of that one or the other is bound to be a clear winner within the HD gaming space. We don´t know how long Nintendo will stay out of HD gaming either, one thing is for sure, they are not in a rush to enter that business as things are going right now. They are waiting for the installed base of HD TV sets to reach high penetration levels, while the 360 and the PS3 are helping building that base of HD TV sets. It is very obvious what is most profitable at the moment. I expect their challenge will be to leverage the Wii HD in 2010 or 2011.

Ive been thinking lately I wonder what nintendo has in store for us next generation with all the money they've been making...:rolleyes:

To put this into perspective, VGChartz has PS3 outselling the 360 by approximately 50k units worldwide for the last two weeks, with the PS3 sitting at about 7.5 million units behind globally. This is not a success story IMO.

I of course don't trust the data from the various chart sites at all, but hey, if numbers are going to be cited, they at least need to be cited with a little perspective.

If this project has been recently moved to the next gen I would say the minimum would be 2 years, nothing before that...

See how one game, that's probably gonna be in development for at least 3 years, has suddenly turned into moving games to a new platform?

FUD. Stop it please.

Ive been thinking lately I wonder what nintendo has in store for us next generation with all the money they've been making...:rolleyes:
Nintendo has no record of investing heavily in hardware development and selling heavily subsidized hardware at launch so I don´t expect any OMG hardware coming from them.

It will likely be something less powerful than the PS3 hw, but it will likely contain some slick and innovative software and maybe a next gen UI using a camera or such. With the right price it will sell very well.

To put this into perspective, VGChartz has PS3 outselling the 360 by approximately 50k units worldwide for the last two weeks, with the PS3 sitting at about 7.5 million units behind globally. This is not a success story IMO.

Not to mention that when you add up the X360 NA numbers on VGChartz, you'll end up with relatively low sales for december. PS3 on the other hand is selling more then what was in Sony's own report.

Of course they'll going to 'adjust' their numbers once the NPD report comes out next week...

I've added it up a few days ago but haven't written it down. You can check their weekly graphs and lists to get numbers... letssee...

Code:
[B]Worldwide[/B]
cons	week4	week3	week2	week1	sum
ps3	390	600	512	415	1917
x360	347	612	530	440	1929

[B]US[/B]
ps3	120	228	194	163	705
x360	180	384	337	282	1183

[B]EU + rest[/B]
ps3	270	372	318	252	1212
x360	167	228	193	188	746

As you can see, the PS3 sales for the US are reasonable at 700K, but one would expect the 360 to significantly improve from last year's 1,1 million units, considering a vast game library and a price cut. We'll see what NPD has measured, but I expect it to be closer to 1.5 million, probably even a little more than that.

I also doubt that the PS3 has been able to sell 500K units more than the X360, but even with these tricks, VGchartz has the 360 in the lead for december.

AnywayVGchart is really biaised.
If you take NPD charts.
for the 360 the vgchart cumulated numbers are almost the same as NPD ones
for the Wii the vgchart are slightly increased in regard to NPD ones
for the ps3 the vgchart are even more increased in regard to NPD ones.

As you can see, the PS3 sales for the US are reasonable at 700K, but one would expect the 360 to significantly improve from last year's 1,1 million units, considering a vast game library and a price cut. We'll see what NPD has measured, but I expect it to be closer to 1.5 million, probably even a little more than that.
Then I am not sure what report from Sony you were refering to. I assumed you meant the 1.2 million figure "in North America during the critical holiday sales window (Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007)".

Because if I add up the figures for America for those weeks I end up with less than 1.2 million, it´s closer to 1.0 million.

Yeah, I remembered the PS3 US numbers to be more than that. But X360 still seems to be under-"reported"...

Back