Resident Evil 4 (PS2) Reviews

Teasy said:
They didn't need to crawl back to PS2 to save Resident Evil though and its only now that they truley look like fools. They pissed off GameCube fans by announcing the game for PS2 weeks before the GameCube version was finally coming out after years of claiming it would never come out for any other system. And for what?.. 65,000 copies in the US? If they hadn't announced the game for PS2, and even better not let the game slip from December 20th to January 10th they would have sold more then that amount extra on GameCube! :LOL:

The old RE games were past there prime, RE4 is a new wave though and is as good as anything else out there this generation. It even made a bit of headway in sales on GameCube compared to the last few traditional RE games, despite the way Capcom messed up the launch.

For a RE game, yeah maybe its a new wave but I've played it and I'm not impressed. Graphics are nice but gameplay was just kind of meh to me. I liked the cutscenes and the way the story progressed but I didn;t feel that RE feel like I did back in the day.

RE = Old News FOR ME. I'm bored with it.

Mmmkay

The reason I asked was that Capcom quoted these sales for RE4 as of the end of March in one of there financial reports:

Japan - 210,000 units
Europe - 360,000 units
North America - 660,000 units

I suppose North America would include Mexico and Canada though so that might explain it a bit (I think NPD said RE4 numbers were 474,000 when Capcom announced thos numbers). So total North American sales must be at 760,000 now with Japan only at around 230,000 or so. I wonder what Europe is at now? (360,000 was only after 2 weeks of release).

Last edited by a moderator:
RE is certainly past its prime as far as sales goes. Its been losing steam since RE3 on PSX I believe. Far too much time was spent languishing on the old RE way of playing rather then advancing the gameplay and by the time RE4 came out the series had already gotten a bad name for its stale gameplay. The only people who still liked it were the hardcore RE fans. Now whenever I speak to anyone who hasn't played RE4 and tell them to make it there next purchase (on GC or PS2) almost all of them say one thing "Nah I got sick of RE games". Its very hard to convince them that RE4 is a very different game. RE4 was released to late to save the RE series in one swoop. But I have no doubt that if they keep building on the amazing game they've made in RE4 then the RE series can be right back at the top again.

Not everyone can love any one game but what nobody can deny is the huge acclaim the game has gotten. More then any other RE game in the series and it could easily end up being considered the best game this generation based on reviews alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
Mmmkay

The reason I asked was that Capcom quoted these sales for RE4 as of the end of March in one of there financial reports:

Japan - 210,000 units
Europe - 360,000 units
North America - 660,000 units

I suppose North America would include Mexico and Canada though so that might explain it a bit (I think NPD said RE4 numbers were 474,000 when Capcom announced thos numbers). So total North American sales must be at 760,000 now with Japan only at around 230,000 or so. I wonder what Europe is at now? (360,000 was only after 2 weeks of release).

Yeah, those NPD numbers I sourced only record the US. North America usually includes Canada and Mexico.

Back