RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(since we're pretty sure Doom4 isnt going to be an open world game) ;)

Based on what?

The original Doom had some nice open air areas too, and there's some huge potential in remaking that kind of game on today's hardware IMHO. Although 30fps does not suggest a fast paced game...

And by the way, doesn't this remind you of the first Doom's art style? I'd love to see a game like this...
http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=8117

Look at the Hell stuff. Colors and textures are pretty much giving me the feel of the Hell levels, although most of the creatures weren't as twisted and disturbing as these...

Don't forget they are planning to scale Doom 4 to high end PC's as well while RAGE PC isn't supposed to hold any graphical advantages over its console counterparts (apart from image quality). So Doom 4 on PC has a raw power advantage in terms of the platform its running on over RAGE regardless of what platform its on.

I believe this is likely to be rethought due to the current economic situation. I expect Doom 4 to be made for current consoles as much as Rage has.

I believe this is likely to be rethought due to the current economic situation. I expect Doom 4 to be made for current consoles as much as Rage has.

I think it will be built around consoles, but I don't think that will stop Id allowing PC's to scale to better graphics.

Most games do these days.

Based on what?

The original Doom had some nice open air areas too, and there's some huge potential in remaking that kind of game on today's hardware IMHO. Although 30fps does not suggest a fast paced game...

And by the way, doesn't this remind you of the first Doom's art style? I'd love to see a game like this...
http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=8117

Look at the Hell stuff. Colors and textures are pretty much giving me the feel of the Hell levels, although most of the creatures weren't as twisted and disturbing as these...

Doom's hell design never really went beyond fire, brimstone and pentagrams as far as I remember it. I really hope Doom 4 will be a bit less generic in this regard.

Carmack speaks again on issues surrounding the game:

MTV Multiplayer: How is multi-platform development going for “Rage”? Have you reconciled the differences between the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Carmack: Yeah, we’ve got a really good technical solution for that. Our current technology base is all built from the ground up to support this. And there is a little bit of least common denominator-ing, where usually the PS3 becomes the sticky point in terms of [being] a little bit slower on the graphics, you’ve got a little bit of less memory to deal with but a little bit more processing power. So you kind of have to balance the things between all of that. But our important fundamental decisions do have to be made around what’s going to work on the console, even though people with the very highest end PCs might have a system with a couple times the processing power of what a console has. We can’t do anything specifically focused towards that that would be in any way detrimental to the rest of the market.

MTV Multiplayer: Have you resolved the disc space issue with the Xbox 360 version?

Carmack: It is multiple discs. We think that it’s going to cram onto two discs right now. We’ve been spending a lot of effort on an extra compression method for it, and profiling where we can cut on that. We haven’t made a final call yet about whether we would actually compress things differently for the PS3, which could have a little bit higher quality. But there’s a lot of picky issues on that where the smaller we make it on disc, the faster it loads and other benefits like that. So if we get it to look decent on the 360 on two discs, we’ll probably leave it with that data set on the PS3, but we won’t make that decision final for another six months or so.

I dont understand what is stopping Sony from updating their system a bit...by just dumping more memory into it...and perhaps even upgrading the graphics with higher clock speeds or something...and calling the thing a PS3.5

And yeah I do agree with you there Delta9. Well I hope the PC version IF they come out with one has some extras in it to cater to us enthusiasts.

I dont understand what is stopping Sony from updating their system a bit...by just dumping more memory into it...and perhaps even upgrading the graphics with higher clock speeds or something...and calling the thing a PS3.5

Bad idea. All you'd do is alienate the early adopters.

Carmack-
We think that it’s going to cram onto two discs right now.

So if we get it to look decent on the 360 on two discs, we’ll probably leave it with that data set on the PS3,
-

Well that would suck:cry:

Well, he does say there are potential speed benefits for the PS3 as well, so it isn't a total loss.

The title could install and stream from HDD (It's standard in every PS3). They may also add more variety (at no cost to speed).

As long as the devs shoot for parity, both consoles will lose a little something.

So if we get it to look decent on the 360 on two discs, we’ll probably leave it with that data set on the PS3, but we won’t make that decision final for another six months or so.

Anybody wanna take a stab what this means for the release date? Not coming this year?

He's just answering questions, where do you get whining out of that?

And giving us more insight into the dev process, which I like. Most devs are not going to tell you anything about development.

Anybody wanna take a stab what this means for the release date? Not coming this year?

I've held the view ever since late last year that Rage was not coming out in 2009 for two main reasons:

1) Raven's Wolfenstein 2 is coming out this year. Although by another publisher (Activision) it's still an id property and I don't think they'd like to repeat Epic's mistake of releasing UT3 and GoW PC a fortnight apart. Now, if Wolfie is a mid-summer release (which I certainly do not expect) and if Rage is late Autumn then that might be enough breathing room but I'm expecting Wolfie to be a Sep/Oct release.

2) If Rage was coming out this year we ought of have had much more hype pressure. Now EA is a wild card in my book. I got Acti's marketing dept pretty much nailed: for Sep/Oct releases they usually start heavily promoting it with Previews/interviews/etc. around January/Feb (like it is happening right now with Wolfie and Raven's other game, Singularity). Even if EA likes to start the hype machine later we're nearly in March.

As for that quote specifically; because of the differences between MT and regular texturemapping that decision can be one of the last ones made before gold master approval but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. id may simply want to make that decision sooner for other (non-technical) reasons.

If we backtrack from shelf space there's a week for distribution, at least 3 weeks for manufacturing, maybe 1 month for gold master approval (more in Europe) so even if this is one of the last decisions, we're looking at an October onwards date. That's cutting it awfully short. For reference, a Project Management teacher of mine that works in the gaming industry told me that a (console) game really needs to hit gold (not gold approval from MS/Sony/Nintendo) by early August if you want to target the magical Q4. For instance, for one of the games he developed Nintendo America took 1 month for approval but Nintendo Europe took nearly 3 months (because of the extra languages, manuals, etc.).

Anyway, my point is is this quote doesn't really help us except to say the obvious: barring exceptional circunstances Rage won't be out before Oct.

I wonder, just curiosity, what he does consider the highest PCs.

Yeah I thought the same thing. If the "very highest end PC's" are only a couple of times more powerful than the consoles then I think my 8800GTS powered system must sit roughly on par with a PS2! :LOL:

He may have been referring to pure CPU power though as he does seem to distinguish "processing power" from "graphics" speed.

And I doubt he's referring specifically to Nehalem but rather high clocked quads in general.

Of course he only refers to Cell having "a little bit more processing power" than Xenon so he's obviously talking very generally.

And yeah I do agree with you there Delta9. Well I hope the PC version IF they come out with one has some extras in it to cater to us enthusiasts.
And why microsoft don't use more capable software system storage as bluray?:rolleyes: If you read all post carmak said ps3 could has little bit higher quality at the end....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back