New Nintendo Trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
jvd said:
Which is exactly what I pointed out then he had to claim I was bias , which is getting very old .
I hope you're talking about someone else, as I haven't claimed bias at all. I just took you to task for a foolish comment. ;)

Now if those were meant to be SARCASTIC, I apologize. But if it was, try not to use the rolleyes emoticon. It gets people up in arms. :p
jvd said:
The only thing i will really call sony stealing or copying on is thier controller. Its a super nes controller with fins
...though you pretty much have to give them credit for recognizing that gamers might want a controller that fits better into the natural curvature of their hands and provided more grip. Plus--for better or worse--they were taking a different look at how to manage the D-pad.

Regardless, the gamepad itself was the first real innovation. Everything else was pretty much a natural extension of refining it and adding what complexity they could (to give game developers more options) and making gamers appreciate it more without bringing about undue compromises. (See: Jaguar Controller. ;) )

PC-Engine said:
In closing, Nintendo targeted and accepted as a mature oriented system is a misconception, accept it.

:LOL:

Nobody said GCN was a mature oriented system. OTOH someone claimed that Nintendo targeted the younger audience with GCN and now is backpedalling...

who me? in case you didnt get it i was being sarcastic with my response. you think RE4 on the Cube makes its demographic 18+? :rolleyes: :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
GBA had movie playback long before PSP announcement. Regardless nobody said Nintendo was a pioneer in video players or PDA functions otherwise they wouldn't have to license Palm OS :LOL: , however, they're a pioneer in bringing innovative ideas to gaming consoles. You think the analog DS controller didn't copy the N64 analog control? You think the PS1 controller didn't copy the SNES controler? You think SONY first entered the gaming market without Nintendo involvement? You think PSP didn't copy GBA?

Question for you, why do you think SONY cooperated with Nintendo on the SNES CDROM then later came out with the PS1? Why do you think SONY entered the game market when they saw the original GB classic which "should've been a SONY product"? :LOL:

You should thank Nintendo for motivating SONY to enter the videogame market. ;)
So... sue Sony :LOL:

You're right . Nintendo has been innovative in consoles, I'm not arguing that.
Maybe the movie playback was inGBA before PSP was announced, I could be wrong.
It's just that I heard of it after PSP, and I think many a mainstream GBA gamer still hasn't heard about that feature for their GBA.

Many features in Nintendo consoles have been first in consoles, but how many of them have been the first in similar devices outside home consoles. As wellas you can say Sony has just copied features from Nintendo in their consoles, you can say Nintendo has copied features to their consoles from elsewhere:
- You think Nintendo was the first to enter the home console market?
- SNES controller - Did Nintendo copy Sega Mega Drive controller??
- Analog control - PC games had had analog control long before N64.
- Stylus control - PDA's and smartphones had had stylus control long before DS (SonyEricsson P800-900 series phones even have games that can be controlled with the stylus :oops: OMG :oops: Nintendo copied SE!!! :LOL: )
- Sony hasn't copied the 4 controller ports in N64 and GCN ;)

PC-Engine said:
Oh btw ever played Lemmings? Why weren't the Lemmings designed to be less Pikmanish? I guess Lemmings was targeted at younger players? Later buddy... :LOL: :oops:
No, the Lemmings weren't really targeted at all. Remember when Lemmings came out? It was before videogames became "acceptable" and "cool".... before PS1.
See, it's all about the image, not so much the games themselves.

I thought Nintendo was all about games?

Who knows, maybe they'll release a console that doubles as a media hub. ;)

cthellis42 said:
jvd said:
Which is exactly what I pointed out then he had to claim I was bias , which is getting very old .
I hope you're talking about someone else, as I haven't claimed bias at all. I just took you to task for a foolish comment. ;)

Now if those were meant to be SARCASTIC, I apologize. But if it was, try not to use the rolleyes emoticon. It gets people up in arms. :p

Your tone came off as that esp with the whole pants closing .

The smileys esp the role eyes one was meant to show how rediculous it is to claim that the situation was ironic as the person i was responding to claimed as if anyone is copying anyone else it would be sony as nintendo doesn't have anything to copy sony on in this field .

Nintendo had the gameboy , nintendo had a video player for the gameboy . Then sony came out with a psp that had video player and played games (plus music and displaying pictures ) So i was pointing out it was ironic that he said it was ironic that nintendo copied sony when the argument can be made first about it going the othre way around .

Just for the heck of it, on this point...
PC-Engine said:
GBA had movie playback long before PSP announcement.
Was there a movie player that predated this one? Because to my knowledge that was the first common retail product to bring it about, and Majesco didn't start with their video releases until May, 2004. Or did the Gameboy itself have something ages back? I can't really find records of that either.

cthellis42 said:
Just for the heck of it, on this point...
PC-Engine said:
GBA had movie playback long before PSP announcement.
Was there a movie player that predated this one? Because to my knowledge that was the first common retail product to bring it about, and Majesco didn't start with their video releases until May, 2004.

Dunno but it don't matter cause nintendo stole it from sega !!!! They had the sega game gear tv tuner !!!!! So there ! :D

Kill_Jade said:
PC-Engine said:
In closing, Nintendo targeted and accepted as a mature oriented system is a misconception, accept it.

:LOL:

Nobody said GCN was a mature oriented system. OTOH someone claimed that Nintendo targeted the younger audience with GCN and now is backpedalling...

who me? in case you didnt get it i was being sarcastic with my response. you think RE4 on the Cube makes its demographic 18+? :rolleyes: :LOL:

No I wasn't talking about you and no just because RE4 is adult oriented doesn't mean the GCN is adult oriented which I've never claimed. The reason why I brought up RE4 was to show that GCN is not targeted at younger gamers. There are many games on GCN from 1st, 2nd, 3rd parties that are not targeted at younger gamers. THAT is the reason why the claim of GCN being targeted at younger gamers doesn't hold water. ;)

You think Nintendo was the first to enter the home console market?
- SNES controller - Did Nintendo copy Sega Mega Drive controller??
- Analog control - PC games had had analog control long before N64.
- Stylus control - PDA's and smartphones had had stylus control long before DS (SonyEricsson P800-900 series phones even have games that can be controlled with the stylus OMG Nintendo copied SE!!! )
- Sony hasn't copied the 4 controller ports in N64 and GCN

SONY entered the game market because of Nintendo, not because of Atari, Intellivision, Vectrex, PONG. Their connection with SNES CD and comment about orginal GB support this.

SNES controller did not copy MD controller. SNES had shoulder buttons.

Analog control in PC games was relegated to joysticks. N64 had a control pad with analog thumbpad.

DS is the first portable gaming console to be designed with stylus control/touch sensitive LCD as its main control method.

SONY has a multitap copied from NES.

Is there anything innovative on a console that SONY pioneered? :?

jvd said:
Your tone came off as that esp with the whole pants closing .
I was just trying to get the attention of the whole crowd of people before it got too dumb. Yours was just the particular quote I was replying. The comment was made for general consumption. :p
The smileys esp the role eyes one was meant to show how rediculous it is to claim that the situation was ironic as the person i was responding to claimed as if anyone is copying anyone else it would be sony as nintendo doesn't have anything to copy sony on in this field .
Yes, but his point was rather tangental to your reply, so the sarcasm didn't get well directed. ;) ALL the players have put their foot in their mouths--frequently--making complaints about their competitors and press conference promises and claims that they later can't deliver, fall back on, adopt anothers' take... It is worthy of a wry smirk, no matter who does it. ;)

He wasn't actually talking about a "who copied who and why" comment, but rather commenting on the conflicting statements to come out about X or Y. I similarly find it amusing to read Nintendo commentary over Sony's move to "complexity" with the PSP, as if it isn't an exact parallel to the console gaming we have right now. (I suppose we gamers have been spending billions on things way too complex for us for ages. ;) ) The DS, in fact, would be the device that's more "complex"--and they're the ones actively looking for ways to shake things up and make the gameplay different, more fun, more imaginative... But ultimately what they're aiming to do with the DS is bring more complexity. It's not like anyone's going to be fooled by the kind of gaming the PSP provides. :p

Now if we're talking PERIPHERALS... That's a different matter. But it's not like Sony or Nintendo can control what all the companies out there might try to do to tap their markets for themselves... ;)
jvd said:
Dunno but it don't matter cause nintendo stole it from sega !!!! They had the sega game gear tv tuner !!!!! So there ! :D
Hehe... Good point. ;)

jvd said:

Didn't Turbo Express also have a TV tuner? Did it come out before or after Gamegear?

He wasn't actually talking about a "who copied who and why" comment, but rather commenting on the conflicting statements to come out about X or Y.
thanks for clearing this up for me :LOL: everyone copies the next guy. that wasnt what i was talking about tho 8)

PC-Engine said:
- Pressure sensitive buttons. No they didn't copy DC analog triggers, I mean the cross controller and circle, cross, triangle, square buttons.
- DVD playback in a console.
- Memory cards
- Jaggies
- True surround sound (yes, they had it in their console before xbox, though not necessarily in games)
- Symmetrical Dual analog sticks
- Widescreen gaming
- Dedicated hardware for 3D gaming (SNES Starfox was not a dedicated 3D console ;) )
- Videogaming became "cool"
- Hard drive (it was announced as an addon before no-one had even heard of xbox).
- Eye Toy
- A large high res screen in a portable console that actually or the first time in portable console history gives you a view into game that manages to fill your field of vision in a similar way a tv viewed from a normal distance would, thus bringing a new level of immersion in portable gameplay.
- Analog slider controller in a portable console.
- "LAN" type gaming where you connect two consoles together for two screen twoplayer.

They're not that hard to find, if you just take off your Sony hate goggles ;)

DVD playback in a console.

Not very innovative , Considering that sega and turbo graphics 16 put out players that could play compact disc video and did . Also I believe the dreamcast dvd version came out in japan before the ps2 did but i'm not sure .

Memory cards
Saturn did this first though they were more like memory carts as they went into the system like a superness type game but held data .

Widescreen gaming
Dunno what you mean by this really . On my dreamcast i could make it widescreen if i chose too. ALso i believe one of the racing games on the saturn had a diffrent aspect ratio that caused black bars on the top and bottom (Want to say virtual racng though it may have been on the 32x)

Dedicated hardware for 3D gaming (SNES Starfox was not a dedicated 3D console )
Saturn ? It had hardware dedicated for 3d gaming though it might not have been as good . How about 3DO ? How about 32x ?

Videogaming became "cool
Na nintendo did that , sony just expanded the market , unless your forgeting about the wizard ? Has to be pretty cool for them to make a movie to introduce 2 of your new products the power glove and super mario 3

Hard drive
Yes the ps2 had it announced but the saturn had a solid state type of hardrive built in , which you could use to save games or roms .

A large high res screen in a portable console that actually or the first time in portable console history gives you a view into game that manages to fill your field of vision in a similar way a tv viewed from a normal distance would, thus bringing a new level of immersion in portable gameplay.

Hmm depends on what you mean large high res screen. I would say the first game boy , gameboy color and gba all had pretty high res screens for the time and price. Not to mention lynx , game gear , nomad

As for filling your field of vison this is not true as i still see my hands and things around the system when playing .

LAN" type gaming where you connect two consoles together for two screen twoplayer
I guess , there was another consoloe from the atari era that would let u connect to the net to play games , u could also connect to another system with it , then there was the gameboy that allowed you to do that , then you could do it with the saturn and its modem .

Honestly its all about how u spin it

jvd said:
Hmm,depends on what you mean by ge high res screen. I would say the first game boy, gameboy color and gba all had pretty high res screens for the time and price. Not to mention lynx, game gear, nomad

As for filling your field of vision this is not true, as I still see my hands and things around the system when playing.
Don't quite get it what you mean by "a large high res screen for the time and price" as they weren't large. Your field of vision hasn't changed much from those days, has it?

By "filling your field of vision" I meant compared to when you play a console on a 20-30" screen from a couple of meters away. You can see the surroundings of your tv then as you see your hands when playing a PSP.

Yes, it's how you spin it. That has been my point for the last few posts in this thread :)

Don't quite get it what you mean by "a large high res screen for the time and price" as they weren't large. Your field of vision hasn't changed much from those days, has it?

When the gameboy first came out it had a large high res screen for the time , same goes with the game gear and the linx .

Sony didn't innovate , they did what nintendo and sega and the others were able to do . They put in a screen that fit into cost for the time it wasn't inovative to u when the other companys did it . What your saying is that if sony was to put in a 200gig hardrive in its console next gen and ms only had a 80 gig that it would be innovative because it was bigger ? THat is not innovative , just means they launched later .

Yes, it's how you spin it. That has been my point for the last few posts in this thread

There are some things that are so close to each other that you can't spin it any other way .

IF you were to cut off the fins and change the symbols back to letters on the playstation 1 controler and it would be the same thing as the super nes controller.... Oh excluse me it has 2 buttons on each side of the top instead of the one that nintendo put there .

That is why i said its the only thing i can really say they took from some where else

rabidrabbit said:
PC-Engine said:
- Pressure sensitive buttons. No they didn't copy DC analog triggers, I mean the cross controller and circle, cross, triangle, square buttons.
- DVD playback in a console.
- Memory cards
- Jaggies
- True surround sound (yes, they had it in their console before xbox, though not necessarily in games)
- Symmetrical Dual analog sticks
- Widescreen gaming
- Dedicated hardware for 3D gaming (SNES Starfox was not a dedicated 3D console ;) )
- Videogaming became "cool"
- Hard drive (it was announced as an addon before no-one had even heard of xbox).
- Eye Toy
- A large high res screen in a portable console that actually or the first time in portable console history gives you a view into game that manages to fill your field of vision in a similar way a tv viewed from a normal distance would, thus bringing a new level of immersion in portable gameplay.
- Analog slider controller in a portable console.
- "LAN" type gaming where you connect two consoles together for two screen twoplayer.

They're not that hard to find, if you just take off your Sony hate goggles ;)

I think jvd summed it up pretty nicely. ;)

However there are a few facts I'd like to mention.

Dolby Surround games have been available since the PC Engine CDROM. Besides directional surround in games was not a SONY innovation nor was it brought to consoles by SONY. It was DTS and EA that brought it to PS2. :LOL:

Widescreen gaming was done by Hudson Soft with Bomberman Hi-Ten for PC-FX.

Hi-Ten Bomberman was a game that was originally planned to be released on the PC-FX, however due to NEC's publishing guidelines, Hi-Ten would never be released for the unit. The game in its original form would never be for sale, but it did however make an appearance in the Hudson Soft Gaming Caravan back in 1993 as part of a competition. Hi-Ten Bomberman was a 10 player version of the popular PC Engine/TG-16 game "Bomberman", and was formatted for play on wide-screen HDTV's - the first game ever for the HDTV standard (at the time, HDTV's have been in Japan for many years). You could play as many different characters like "Bonk" or "Bomberman" (Woman or Man) and many more. It is believed that Hudson Soft later released this version, redone slightly, as "Saturn Bomberman", which includes the PC-FX "widescreen" 10-player mode. Saturn Bomberman is basically what the PC-FX version should have been like.

Finally wasn't 3D gaming in a console first introduced with the N64?

jvd said:
Sony didn't innovate , they did what nintendo and sega and the others were able to do . They put in a screen that fit into cost for the time it wasn't inovative to u when the other companys did it . What your saying is that if sony was to put in a 200gig hardrive in its console next gen and ms only had a 80 gig that it would be innovative because it was bigger ? THat is not innovative , just means they launched later .
Following your logic, then why does not the DS have as large high res screen(s), even though it is released at the same time as PSP?
What makes the SNES controller the mother of all console innovations then? Nintendo just did what Atari, Colecovision etc. were able to do. They put a controller that fit into plastic casing manufacturing tech for the time, by being able to make a controller that wasn't any more a simple plastic slab and adding more buttons, moving the buttons to different places... What your're saying is that if Nintendo was to put a 150 button controller that's more comfortably molded that would be innovative because it has more buttons? That is not innovative, just means they launched 128675 when humankind has evolved to have hands with 148 fingers.

PC-Engine said:
However there are a few facts I'd like to mention.

Dolby Surround games have been available since the PC Engine CDROM. Besides directional surround in games was not a SONY innovation nor was it brought to consoles by SONY. It was DTS and EA that brought it to PS2. :LOL:
I think I wasn't clear enough on this. Sony made it possible, by including what is needed in it's hardware. It's totally irrelevant what company first released a game supporting it, as is the surround sound technology licenced.

Widescreen gaming was done by Hudson Soft with Bomberman Hi-Ten for PC-FX.

Hi-Ten Bomberman was a game that was originally planned to be released on the PC-FX, however due to NEC's publishing guidelines, Hi-Ten would never be released for the unit. The game in its original form would never be for sale, but it did however make an appearance in the Hudson Soft Gaming Caravan back in 1993 as part of a competition. Hi-Ten Bomberman was a 10 player version of the popular PC Engine/TG-16 game "Bomberman", and was formatted for play on wide-screen HDTV's - the first game ever for the HDTV standard (at the time, HDTV's have been in Japan for many years). You could play as many different characters like "Bonk" or "Bomberman" (Woman or Man) and many more. It is believed that Hudson Soft later released this version, redone slightly, as "Saturn Bomberman", which includes the PC-FX "widescreen" 10-player mode. Saturn Bomberman is basically what the PC-FX version should have been like.
That game wasn't even released, ever. So it doesn't really count as more than an idea in one's head. If we go that route then I'm sure we'll find no innovations in any console.

Finally wasn't 3D gaming in a console first introduced with the N64?
??? PS1 was released before N64, right? Or am I remembering totally wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back