New Nintendo Trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
jvd said:
Kill_Jade said:
jvd said:
You can already get videos on the ds . YOu could do it on the gameboy before you could on a psp .

true..but it can done better on the PSP :) im not saying the PDA thing is a bad thing...just ironic ;)

I find the psp features to be ironic , very much like nintendo . ;)

After all they had a device that played videos and games and now sony has one ! Next sony will put out a device that can do pda things . Why inovate when u can be like nintendo :rolleyes:

sigh...thats not the point. the PDA feature is all fine and dandy. ok? im just saying Nintendo will be the first to say Sony has no focus with the PSP. yet they go and do this. im not saying its a bad thing. heck i will prolly get this feature if its good. you still prolly dont understand my point but whatever :(

jvd said:
Kill_Jade said:
jvd said:
You can already get videos on the ds . YOu could do it on the gameboy before you could on a psp .

true..but it can done better on the PSP :) im not saying the PDA thing is a bad thing...just ironic ;)

After all they had a device that played videos and games and now sony has one ! Next sony will put out a device that can do pda things . Why inovate when u can be like nintendo :rolleyes:
Wasn't the add-on for GBA-SP that enabled sort of video playback announced just after Sony announced the PSP?
I don't really see Nintendo as the pioneer in media players, some cell-phones (in Japan?) more likely.
Nintendo the leader in PDA functions? Same there, PDA's precede DS.
Sony's had PDA's before PSP, Nintendo hasn't.

Convergence has been there before DS, that's the reality jvd.

jvd said:

Yeah, because honestly it wouldn't have occurred to them to put multimedia functions into a gaming device that would have all the parts built into it to begin with. After all, Sony has no stake in any multimedia devices otherwise. :rolleyes: (And for reference, didn't all GBA movie functionality come out well after the PSP and its capabilities were announced? OMG NENTINDO U CAPYCOT! :rolleyes: Gimme a break...)

Nintendo, the truly innovative force that took what had existed since, like, the Newton and the PDA gaming that had existed for years? What they brought was a force of developers--themselves included--to that type of gaming; it's not new and unheard of. (Maybe we can say they all copied Apple or something, eh? They're used to that. ;) )

What we have are two portable systems (themselves derivative and undergoing evolutionary change over a long period of time) that took existing technology, but use different gameplans to bring different examples and different concentrations of them together. As they're aiming at similar markets and have similar capacities, there would of course be overlap. And so far, they've overlapped in the most obvious ways (letting something play MOVIES? Ohmegorsh! Using a wireless adaptor? I couldn't see that coming! Next you'll be telling me they have a D-pad and BUTTONS! :oops: :p )

In short... keep it in your pants and instead enjoy what each bring to the table.

RichardCypher101 said:
Actually, the NDS and GC seem to still be targeted towards a younger audience. Their first-party titles are still targeted towards either the casual or younger audience. You just get lucky here and there when 3rd party developers release exclusive hardcore titles like RE4 (Which was a blunder IMO). Then you have the multiplatform titles that are rated M that never see the light of day on the GC, but rather the Xbox and PS2. I dont mind Nintendo, but their recent NDS ads labeling "Touching is Good" seemed like a watered down attempt to look "hip" -- A commercial version of Microsoft's Steve Ballmer if you ask me.

Regardless how much they try or appear to try to cater to the older crowd, Nintendo systems from the past and present have always been considered for the younger crowd in more ways than one.

-Rich

Actually most of their first party titles are based off of old franchises and characters that were attractive to younger players so unless Mario becomes a Killer Instinct character, younger players will continue to be attracted to said titles. Doesn't mean GCN is targeted at younger gamers. ;)

You also have exclusive deals or cooperative game development for more adult oriented games like the RE series, FZero, ED, Metroid, StarWars, Soul Calibur, Splinter Cell, MK..the list goes on and on.

Did Micky Mouse ever grow up? Why is that? ;)

Wouldn't it be funny if Micky Mouse started to blow off people's heads with a shotgun? :oops:

Kill_Jade said:
he just seems to think that one title represents the demographic that the system is targeted at :D

Actually all I needed was one example for you to question your own logic which still doesn't hold water. ;)

sigh...thats not the point. the PDA feature is all fine and dandy. ok? im just saying Nintendo will be the first to say Sony has no focus with the PSP. yet they go and do this. im not saying its a bad thing. heck i will prolly get this feature if its good. you still prolly dont understand my point but whatever

When DS launced it already had a prexisting game library, PSP didn't...

So many anti nintendo sony fan boys on this forum its not even funny.

You defend someone that claims nintendo is copying sony , but when sony copys nintendo you rush to thier rescue

Actually all I needed was one example for you to question your own logic which still doesn't hold water. ;)
im guessing my attempt at sarcasm failed ;)

anyways im not here to argue or start some war. i look forward to the PDA features 8)

Wasn't the add-on for GBA-SP that enabled sort of video playback announced just after Sony announced the PSP?
I don't really see Nintendo as the pioneer in media players, some cell-phones (in Japan?) more likely.
Nintendo the leader in PDA functions? Same there, PDA's precede DS.
Sony's had PDA's before PSP, Nintendo hasn't.

GBA had movie playback long before PSP announcement. Regardless nobody said Nintendo was a pioneer in video players or PDA functions otherwise they wouldn't have to license Palm OS :LOL: , however, they're a pioneer in bringing innovative ideas to gaming consoles. You think the analog DS controller didn't copy the N64 analog control? You think the PS1 controller didn't copy the SNES controler? You think SONY first entered the gaming market without Nintendo involvement? You think PSP didn't copy GBA?

Question for you, why do you think SONY cooperated with Nintendo on the SNES CDROM then later came out with the PS1? Why do you think SONY entered the game market when they saw the original GB classic which "should've been a SONY product"? :LOL:

You should thank Nintendo for motivating SONY to enter the videogame market. ;)

PC-Engine said:
Actually most of their first party titles are based off of old franchises and characters that were attractive to younger players so unless Mario becomes a Killer Instinct character, younger players will continue to be attracted to said titles. Doesn't mean GCN is targeted at younger gamers. ;)

You also have exclusive deals or cooperative game development for more adult oriented games like the RE series, FZero, ED, Metroid, StarWars, Soul Calibur, Splinter Cell, MK..the list goes on and on.

Wouldn't it be funny if Micky Mouse started to blow off people's heads with a shotgun? :oops:

They dont need to change pre-existing franchises. They can perhaps, be creative (This term is often skewed in videogames)? Whats wrong with coming up with a completely new franchise? Wait..they did make Pikimin (Rated E).

*Laughs* I cant believe that Nintendo's targeted demographic is up for debate, its absolutely hillarious! -- One of the biggest wastes of post time ive ever contributed. As a matter of fact, I wont even bother with this little one anymore, you're sure to debate your way out of a paper bag if it came down to it, so theres really no point, is there?

In closing, Nintendo targeted and accepted as a mature oriented system is a misconception, accept it.

-Rich

Nintendo has lately noticeably been re-forming their image to appeal to a "older" audience, that's true, and I don't think they really even are considered that much kiddy any more. It's just that thery are competing with products that are more adult and "cool"

When you look at the current and up-coming line-up for GCN, it appears as "adult" as PS2 and xbox.
So the still "kiddy" image of Nintendo should not be because of the games they have. To me it even seems they've delibrately put Mario, Pokemon and Zelda a bit aside this gen, so that they would not dominate the Nintendo image. They are clearly trying to reform their image.

So, what is it that still makes Nintendo "kiddy" in most gamers eyes?
An image once achieved can not be shaken off fast.
GCN exterior design surely didn't help it this gen (though I kinda like it).

I think next gen Nintendo will be in a much stronger position regarding "adult" gaming. Now they just should make the "Revolution" look less kiddy.

PC-Engine said:
Why some pro PSP people like to downplay this for whatever reason(s) is beyond me... ;)

You must have your forums confused. No one here downplayed the DS as a potential PDA. Just how you find extra features for the PSP silly but for the DS a godsend. ;)

Sharp looking NEC unit.

cthellis42 said:
Frankly the more stuff the better, IMHO.

Oh I absolutely agree. I was the one arguing that features such as these go a long way in determining the perceived value of these items.

Regarding the video player for the GBA, was that actually from Nintendo or a third party company?

jvd said:
So many anti sony nintendo fan boys on this forum its not even funny.

You defend someone that claims sony is copying nintendo , but when nintendo copys sony you rush to thier rescue

It's EXACTLY like cthellis said. Everyone copies everyone else. Nintendo isn't the savior of gaming and neither is Sony. Both are in it to make a buck.

RichardCypher101 said:
PC-Engine said:

They dont need to change pre-existing franchises. They can perhaps, be creative (This term is often skewed in videogames)? Whats wrong with coming up with a completely new franchise? Wait..they did make Pikimin (Rated E).

*Laughs* I cant believe that Nintendo's targeted demographic is up for debate, its absolutely hillarious! -- One of the biggest wastes of post time ive ever contributed. As a matter of fact, I wont even bother with this little one anymore, you're sure to debate your way out of a paper bag if it came down to it, so theres really no point, is there?

In closing, Nintendo targeted and accepted as a mature oriented system is a misconception, accept it.

-Rich

It's been debated here for decades and your argument always gets shot down. Of course you wouldn't know with only a handful of posts under your belt and a bag over your head. ;) :LOL:

Oh btw ever played Lemmings? Why weren't the Lemmings designed to be less Pikmanish? I guess Lemmings was targeted at younger players? Later buddy... :LOL: :oops:

Sadly this is sometihng the whole industry is guilty off .

Or do you think Rockstar is creative with thier grand theft auto being on its what 5th version now ? Or Grand turismo 5 ? Jak 3 ? Halo 2 ? Kotor 2 ?

This is something the whole industry suffers from . Its just that some people feel that games that apeal to everyone are kiddy . I however feel that games with tons of volience , cop killing , prositution and the likes are the true childish games mean for those with kiddy personalitys . But hey that is my opinion

Actually ive viewed these forums for well over a year or two, but have only just recently decided to join. Its a shame really, I had to enter these forums with prior-knowledge of how

-Rich

EDIT: To jvd, you raise a good point. And it really does fall under ones opinion. Not really anyone can be right in this "debate". Whats really trying to be done by a few members in here, are to convince the masses that they are right in order to feel their point justified.

Don't be cute and call others names that are also curse words .

PC-Engine said:
Wouldn't it be funny if Micky Mouse started to blow off people's heads with a shotgun?

Does the idea of Micky, (or Mario), being a badass sound intriguing to anyone else? It'll probably never fly, but for some reason I'm kind of drawn to it. Even cooler if they play the bad guy, (Mario as a Mafia boss a la "The Sopranos"???). Maybe someone will comeout with a spoof game, (I suppose Conker is kinda like that, but I would like a more direct connection to Mickey/Mario, something that blatantly ripped off their characters.).

It's EXACTLY like cthellis said. Everyone copies everyone else. Nintendo isn't the savior of gaming and neither is Sony. Both are in it to make a buck.

Which is exactly what I pointed out then he had to claim I was bias , which is getting very old .

RichardCypher101 said:
Actually ive viewed these forums for well over a year or two, but have only just recently decided to join. Its a shame really, I had to enter these forums with prior-knowledge of how much of an *** you can be ;)

-Rich

EDIT: To jvd, you raise a good point. And it really does fall under ones opinion. Not really anyone can be right in this "debate". Whats really trying to be done by a few members in here, are to convince the masses that they are right in order to feel their point justified.

Ever look in the mirror or read your own posts? :LOL: ;)

Later buddy...

Perhaps someday people will be willing to follow the chain back and see just where the on-a-pedestal usage of "innovation" really lies, and recognize the evolutionary process that has existed forever as what it is. Especially in trivialities like this. I mean, how far DO we get to blame people for copying their predecessors, as if companies had no idea how to design a product otherwise? Should we go back to Atari and Nolan Bushnell, or should we go back before the video gaming era altogether since they were a logical extension of other electronic and mechanical games that preceeded them?

Or perhaps do we realize how foolish it is to make a huge racket about it?

There is, of course, innovation as well in how to bring existing tech together, to find the right time and traits to attract the public's attention, and to bring it forth in such a way that the company can survive and thrive. (It's pretty much a given that companies could bring out things most everyone would like by bankrupting themselves.)

No company is innocent of building on what came before it. Especially since it not only counts tech, but also business plans, marketing, public analysis, company organization, financial balancing... They would, in fact, be utterly foolish to do so. Meanwhile, what are we going to do? List a complete breakdown of traits--many of which are fairly obvious in continuing trends and examining the gaming masses--and accuse another company of RIPPING THEM OFF HAR HAR U SUXX0R all the while ignoring what and who THOSE traits built off?

:rolleyes:

Get a grip and watch how business proceeds as usual. It certainly isn't going to change.

:LOL:

Nobody said GCN was a mature oriented system. OTOH someone claimed that Nintendo targeted the younger audience with GCN and now is backpedalling...

The only thing i will really call sony stealing or copying on is thier controller. Its a super nes controller with fins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back