New Nintendo Trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
TotalVideogames said:
Trademark registrations hint at future Nintendo developments...

Recent trademark registrations at the Japanese Patent Office today revealed a glimpse of possible new offerings from Nintendo.

Registered in December 2004, two logos dubbed “Nintendo V-Pocket†and “PCGP†have become apparent, although a lack of specific details means that it’s only speculation at present as to what these refer to.

Several reports suggest a new feature for the Nintendo DS, possibly in the shape of its highly rumoured Wi-Fi play to combat the recent confirmation that a number of US PSP launch titles will support multiplayer via a wireless internet connection. It’s worth noting that the “PCGP†features a similarity to logos featured on game packaging, suggesting that it indicates a new feature.

Until Nintendo makes an official comment we’ll just have to make do with guesses, but we’ll be sure to bring you more information as we hear it.

Link

Nothing yet known, what this is all about...

Might as well be nothing.

I hate websites like Sp0ng jumping on every little scrap of 'information' and making a two hundred ton elephant of a little fly.

Evil_Cloud said:
Might as well be nothing.

I hate websites like Sp0ng jumping on every little scrap of 'information' and making a two hundred ton elephant of a little fly.

Well, they're not as bad as Sp0ng. As far as I remember they were the ones that leaked the confidential NDS document...

So now when Nintendo starts adding features into the DS it's very nice? Before the PSP shipped it was getting reamed for being a poor mp3 and video player. Now that the DS could get a watered down feature, it's 'very nice'?

Ty said:
So now when Nintendo starts adding features into the DS it's very nice? Before the PSP shipped it was getting reamed for being a poor mp3 and video player. Now that the DS could get a watered down feature, it's 'very nice'?

Well because PSP was/is a poor MP3 player. It initially didn't support MP3 only ATRAC. Now that it supports it, it's not any smaller is it? Why carry around a HUGE PSP for MP3 on FLASH media???

Regarding video playing capabilites, I don't recall anyone saying it would be a poor video player using FLASH media that contained movies ripped from DVDs. It's a poor movie player for UMD movies since 99% of people aren't going to buy UMD movies just to watch on a portable with a 4.5" screen.

Regardless the idea of DS being used as a PDA, media player, internet browser, etc. have been talked about here for a long time by many people since the stylus makes it a no brainer. It was a fantastic idea then before Nintendo considered it and it's a fantastic idea now. Why some pro PSP people like to downplay this for whatever reason(s) is beyond me... ;)

Heck check out this PDA/camera/phone beauty:

nueng041229_01.jpg

or this TV/PDA/camera/phone:

nen940_00.jpg

All these need now is MP3 playback and a Bitboys or MBX gpu and they'd be VERY NICE INDEED!!! 8) ;)

Kill_Jade said:
Nintendo believes PDA software coupled with the already existing touch screen of the DS will put it above its high profiled rival, the PSP.
:rolleyes:

You don't think checking/writing email, surfing the web, PDA functions on a dual screen gameplayer with a stylus is a good idea? Is it because the PSP doesn't have a touchscreen that you're :rolleyes: ?

If PSP had a touchscreen you'd be all over PDA functions on it...just be honest with yourself. ;)

E3 2005 will be the first witness of the Nintendo V-Pocket suite: a complete line of personal organizer tools for the Nintendo DS. 8)

You don't think checking/writing email, surfing the web, PDA functions on a dual screen gameplayer with a stylus is a good idea? Is it because the PSP doesn't have a touchscreen that you're :rolleyes: ?

If PSP had a touchscreen you'd be all over PDA functions on it...just be honest with yourself. ;)

err no. i could care less about any PDA functions on my PSP. i just find it very ironic of Nintendo to add these features. the critize Sony on not focusing on games with the PSP. yet now they are adding features that they hope will put it above the PSP. what next? movies on the DS? they already have an MP3 player for it. and lets be honest now...does the DS demographic really need PDA functions? i can see it now..all the little boys and girls making notes on their DS PDA so that they wont forget about the Pokemon tourneys they have to attend :rolleyes:

You can already get videos on the ds . YOu could do it on the gameboy before you could on a psp .

And i can tell u this much my younger cousin will love to have a pda in the ds as he can write notes and send emails and can't afford a pda that can also play games

Frankly the more stuff the better, IMHO. Just so long as design compromises weren't made for the gaming functions, which does not seem to be the case with anything. They'll just be making design compromises with the expansion hardware/software, so while those might not be as good as getting a dedicated device, you at least won't NEED one and can make your final decision based on what they deliver.

The DS gaining PDA functions is good. In fact, I was annoyed they didn't launch with them since they'd be easy to implement. Heck, the PSP doing the same thing with a touch-screen overlay (did we see one of those under construction?) would be fine, too. Cell phone attachments, mic/headsets, GPS devices... frankly I don't care what they come up with, so long as they do it well and can perhaps look to some ways to make them useful from a gaming standpoint, too.

Because why not?

jvd said:
You can already get videos on the ds . YOu could do it on the gameboy before you could on a psp .

true..but it can done better on the PSP :) im not saying the PDA thing is a bad thing...just ironic ;)

Kill_Jade said:

err no. i could care less about any PDA functions on my PSP. i just find it very ironic of Nintendo to add these features. the critize Sony on not focusing on games with the PSP. yet now they are adding features that they hope will put it above the PSP. what next? movies on the DS? they already have an MP3 player for it. and lets be honest now...does the DS demographic really need PDA functions? i can see it now..all the little boys and girls making notes on their DS PDA so that they wont forget about the Pokemon tourneys they have to attend :rolleyes:

Do some research buddy...the DS is targeted at 18+ yr olds. As a matter of fact even 20+ yr olds loved the built-in PictoChat app. Regardless as jvd said GBA has had video playback for years. This is just the natural evolution for DS when you have WiFi and a stylus/touchscreen built-in.

What happens when SONY releases a PSP2 with touchscreen and stylus? :LOL:

BTW it's only ironic if DS couldn't play GBA games.

well buddy, i didnt say i had a problem with the stylus and touchscreen did I? if i did i wouldnt own a DS ;) is the DS aimed at 18+ like the Cube was :?: ;)

Kill_Jade said:
well buddy, i didnt say i had a problem with the stylus and touchscreen did I? if i did i wouldnt own a DS ;) is the DS aimed at 18+ like the Cube was :?: ;)

Did RE4 come out on the Cube? :LOL: ;)

Kill_Jade said:
jvd said:

true..but it can done better on the PSP :) im not saying the PDA thing is a bad thing...just ironic ;)

I find the psp features to be ironic , very much like nintendo . ;)

After all they had a device that played videos and games and now sony has one ! Next sony will put out a device that can do pda things . Why inovate when u can be like nintendo :rolleyes:

Actually, the NDS and GC seem to still be targeted towards a younger audience. Their first-party titles are still targeted towards either the casual or younger audience. You just get lucky here and there when 3rd party developers release exclusive hardcore titles like RE4 (Which was a blunder IMO). Then you have the multiplatform titles that are rated M that never see the light of day on the GC, but rather the Xbox and PS2. I dont mind Nintendo, but their recent NDS ads labeling "Touching is Good" seemed like a watered down attempt to look "hip" -- A commercial version of Microsoft's Steve Ballmer if you ask me.

Regardless how much they try or appear to try to cater to the older crowd, Nintendo systems from the past and present have always been considered for the younger crowd in more ways than one.

-Rich

PC-Engine said:
...the DS is targeted at 18+ yr olds. As a matter of fact even 20+ yr olds loved the built-in PictoChat app. Regardless as jvd said GBA has had video playback for years. This is just the natural evolution for DS when you have WiFi and a stylus/touchscreen built-in.
Targeted, but not necessarily widely accepted ;)
Loved, but will the love last beyond initial "cute" ;)

Still, I welcome every additional feature the DS and PSP get, it's only good for the consumer.

PDA for DS can be a good app for those 18+, as is email. And internet browsing, with reservations because of the smallscreen.
DS does have the big advantage of a stylus, but it also has the big disadvantage of a small screen that makes the internet browsing a bit hmmm. For emailing and calendar it should be great though.

Unless Sony comes up with some ingenious device for writing, I see PDA and emailing features as little more than a gimmick for PSP. The big screen does make reading so much better, but the problem is inputting. Browsing from favorites and just reading should be fine, but I don't see someone reaching a post count of 10 000 in Beyond3D forums using just the plain vanilla PSP :)

A usb mini keyboard for PSP would be easy (maybe they could design so that it would at the same time act as sort of "clamshell" cover when shut in portable position. Were the usb port on the downside of PSP it would've been easier to make a keyboard that at the same time would act as a stand for th PSP "monitor" and have a hinge that closes the kb over the PSP), but it would add quite a lot of weight and bulk. While it would still be smaller than a laptop, it would not be as integrated as DS stylus.

Well, I don't really mind as long as I can browse my pron, there's no need to type there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back