How do you feel about next-gen gaming? *remodelled

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
Mod: Thread remodelled for anyone who wants to express their view, but bare in mind this is NOT a discussion thread! It's an expression thread. There are to be no replies; only posts. A record of your personal opinion to share and to maintain for posterity.

___

The following is just my personal impression from the games and announcements so far. I am not trying to convince or force this to anyone else. This is just me. And I am using the forum only as a means to express how I feel.

Perhaps someone might find some of my thoughts interesting and as another way of seeing things, perhaps someone might just find it a good way to kill time. Others may see things differently and disagree but this is just me.

Regardless below is how I experienced gaming in the past, how I am experiencing it now and my impression about Sony's and MS's Next Gen offerings and where they are heading my experience

My first contact with games
My first gaming experiences were at arcades or luna parks at very young age. I was probably 3-4 years old when I had my first experience with Yu Suzuki's Outrun. And surprisingly I was good for my age. I couldnt forget it because one time I managed to impress people enough as a toddler that they gathered around the cabinet. It's those little things that are BIG for kids. Yep. I have some memories that go that far in the past

My first experience with a video game console was a couple years later in the mid or late 80s though. My father brought this strange black device. I had no idea what it was. I remember looking at the images on the box and it felt like something special. And it was. I was hooked. The games were astounding for my little mind.
800px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

This was my first gaming console and a huge revelation for me. It didnt last very long though as after some time we moved and it was packed and hidden so I would study. Bummer

My second console was a japanese Nintento in 1991 which I got only to play in a summer in a country abroad where my father was working.
266266_1248801133773_400_336.jpg

They didnt let me bring it with me because my parents were afraid I wouldnt study. The games that drove me crazy on that machine were Contra, Super Mario and TMNT 3. I played some co-op Contra with my dad at some arcades and because he also liked it he bought the console when he saw it. It was an amazing feel to have an actual awesome arcade game at your home comfort. Coins not required. I loved Super Mario so much that I managed to find by myself secrets that jumped me to stage 8-1 by going half through a few stages only. But TMNT3 was just freakin awesome. The visuals, gameplay and music were outstanding. It probably had the best soundtrack than any game I have played on the console. It was a masterpiece. I must have finished it 20 times. Then that console also got packed and hidden and when I found it, God I wasnt allowed to play almost at all.

And of course my parents wouldnt buy me a new console later either so I would study. People were getting their Super Nintendos and Mega Drives, their Game Gears and Game Boys, their IBM family computers? I had a 386 computer that only came home because my father needed it for work. But there were some very good games to play on it too like all those shareware games that came from Apogee etc.

This has left me with a hunger for games that was never satisfied. And I was left behind in gaming. I heard no news about what was coming next. And then I saw for the first time 3D games from a Computer and Games show called Cybernet. And my jaw dropped on the floor. 3D looked sophisticated and a huge jump from the 2D games I was used to. I wanted a Playstation.

A new generation of games
In 1996 my dad bought me a Playstation (which unfortunately I was allowed to play only during the summer. Bummer) because I got good grades. I knew no one who had a Saturn or Playstation at the time. It felt special. I never felt so excited about gaming in my life.First games were Toshinden, Wipeout and Adidas Power Soccer. And Demo1 ;)
Wipeout-final.png

mH7dY_LCCGmd7uBJ5iijtwQ.jpg

But my favorite was Wipeout. A true work of art. Experiencing those games for the first time on my TV felt ecstatic. A new generation of awesome sophisticated looking games. The Playstation was like a wonder box. There were no words to describe how I felt about it. I played for hours every game and every demo I had on my disposal. Demo1 was simply the best compilation of tech demos and game demos that Sony could ever create for a console launch. It was filled with content and amazing presentation. I look at it today and it doesnt fail to impress me at how well crafted it was. Sony was serious about the PS. The visual and sound quality were acting like a drug. I was so hooked. Despite that I didnt have my Playstation most of the year, I bought many magazines and got many demos. Due to the popularity of the console it became a massive exclusive magnet of amazing games. Every year I knew for a given that I d have new awesome games to play during the summer. Only on Playstation. Oh and my father had it chipped because games were expensive. So I bought many games that otherwise couldnt afford. But still I was always selective with what I bought. Only the good games

Interesting notes:
a. When my father took me to the shop to buy a PS, the employee told him he had other consoles too. Goldstar/Panasonic. Otherwise the 3DO. My father was going to buy me one of those instead of the console I wanted but fortunately he didnt only because their powersupply was incompatible with our house voltage. Phew that was close.
b. 1996 was the first time I saw VF3 in a magazine that looked freakin amazing. It was also the time the N64 was released. It made me feel slightly uneasy reading about a Saturn VF3 released. My Toshinden next to VF3 looked like a chihuahua barking at a T-Rex. Super Mario 64 also looked amazing and the N64 launch sales slaughtered both the Saturn and PS launch sales combined. What if I bought the wrong console at the wake of better offerings? Fortunately I actually bought the best console I could buy as things showed later

The evolution of 3D
A few years later I begun reading about Saturn add ons which eventually became the new Sega console, the Dreamcast. Me and a friend were trying to download videos of its games through our 56k connections that took ages but it was worth it. Good times
The DC was a brilliant console but I was looking for the next PS2 expecting it was going to be better

In 1999 Sony showed for the first time PS2 tech demos. Finally, games that came close to old PS1 CGI. The excitement was over the roof.
square_1_3.jpg

The launch was huge. News about the PS2 frenzy were everywhere. Even crazy news like the one about Saddam buying thousands of PS2's to use for military purposes
E3 was here. The MGS2 trailer was the game that showed what the next gen was about. Physics, interactivity, AI, facial expressions, everything was too good to be true. And the whole package was like an amalgamation of everything that Sony has promised to deliver with the PS2.
Whats also great about the trailer?
All real time, gameplay footage of what the PS2 allowed to do that wasnt possible before both in terms of visuals and in gameplay! You hear that 2013 CGI, cutscenes, target renders and "seen it all" gameplay demonstrations????
I actually downloaded the whole traler with a 56k modem at the time

I got the PS2 in Xmas 2001. People were lining like crazy outside the store. This time I got the console with my own money and I was an adult. I could play as much and whenever I wanted. XBOX and GC didnt matter. PS2 was such a success that the important games an franchises were guaranteed to arrive on the PS2. It was a repetition of the 32 bit era. Nothing could beat the feeling of owning a console with a ton of exclusive games. This time around all my games were bought original not pirated as I considered them a work of art to be kept and stored into a collection (something that I will no longer be able to do in the future). Again I was targeting only the best games.

Games promised to take us to a whole new level of immersion and consoles that did more than just games
Fast forward to the E3 2005 the PS3 looked again like a console that would beat competition in both content, features and games. My expectations were higher this time as I have matured. 360 looked like a childs play after those E3 demos (which unfortunately were just smoke and mirrors). They showed exactly what I was expecting. And having announced Linux, BR, Cell, Internet, Sixaxis on top of those amazing visuals? Sold. It was going to be another repetition of Sony's past successes. Nope. Launch didnt go well, console very expensive, performance not so different fromthe 360, console was at high risk
I finally bought the 60GB GC console in late 2007 before it was extinct and the 360 in late 2008. They were both awesome but it didnt feel the same as when owning one console that got the biggest and best library. Well, games were better but they still felt like PS2 games. Ironically Shadow of the Colossus felt more next gen than the next gen games I was playing on next gen consoles. Why? Because Shadow of the Colossus had a convincing world. It felt real. The characters' animation was more sophisticated than most next gen games. The presentation was top notch and it incorporated effects that were sometimes even absent from next gen games: Motion blur and a technique that mimicked HDR.

There were only two games this generation that met the expectations that I initially had. Uncharted 2 and GoW3.

When gaming on consoles did not feel the same
I begun feeling also something wrong as the consoles matured. But why? They came with the technological conveniences I liked. I couldnt understand why and what it was. Now I can play online games, I can download special content and demos, there are new features and services that werent available before. So what was it? It didnt make sense.

Then I begun realizing what was wrong. It was the same things that I begun to realize when I was studying economics which I am not going to analyze here but I will make a small effort to isolate how in a much tinier scale it is expressed in the microcosm of my gaming experience.

My gaming experience as a consumer worked under a pretty straightforward and simple concept.

This is how things worked for me in the past:

I buy a product, I buy the games, I buy the peripherals and thats it. By the time I pay and the product reaches my home I am an independent consumer. I do whatever I want and everything is as is as when I first purchased a console and game. The company that produces a product communicates what it has to communicate and I reach the company's information only when and where I want to reach it.

This is how things are for me now:

My product does so much more and I like it that it does so much more. But it has become a clusterfuck of services and features that bombard me together every time they got the chance to, even though I just wanted to experience one of them at a time. And that single thing I want to experience is subject to changes, alterations, terms and conditions, updates and sometimes it even comes in an incomplete or buggy state from the get go waiting for an update to fix it. I begun getting crashes, failed HDD that needed replacements, Lights of Death, apps that didnt work perfect etc. It was no longer a simple, consistent, steady and personal experience anymore. In the past I didnt have to put a tick on user agreement terms and conditions to access my content. Its a huge text that only a lawyer can fully understand and have the patience to read (When I die I ll probably discover that in one of the terms and conditions i ticked, I agreed to sell my soul to satan). I want to entertain myself God damn it. Enough bureaucracy and agreements I get at my work already. Keep that crap away from my home's comfort.
Paradoxically although I have these frustrations, it doesnt make sense to go back to a product that just does one thing like it was in the past. Its like mobile phones. I cant go back into not using a mobile phone because my life will feel more difficult. But paradoxically before their invention and their mass incorporation in our daily lives, I never felt that my life was difficult without it and never felt the need to tell myself "oh my God if only I could own a walky talkie to call anyone from everywhere". It wasnt a necessity back then. Now it feels like it is when in reality I am mentally dependent on a convenience that brought other inconveniences, like....bringing my God damn work at my home. Whenever I am and at any time I am available for work obligations. My company can reach me. Its crazy how "conveniences" get such a powerful attention that they feel like necessities. I also got a smartphone for the first time last year. Not because I needed it. Because I wanted to see how it was like. After that experience, its difficult to go back into a phone that does less. Even though I dont really need it. This phenomenon worries me.

Am I a sponge of consumerism?
And this is how my console experience feels like now. There are those tiny tiny steps where companies infiltrate my independence as a consumer through my demand for conveniences as they see it as an opportunity to improve their business. Its profitable. And what they want to do is to be able to talk to me constantly even when I am at my home. They throw at me information that might interest me. Before I didnt have to deal with so much information and I looked for it when I decided to look for it. They show me products and services, intertwined subjects and and this and that and before I know it, I spend more energy, more hours and more money on stuff I would have spent less if at all in the past. All that energy (especially mental), time and money were spent more productively years ago. What I find scary is that people dont realize this. They say "they are giving me what I want and thats a good thing" when what happens is that companies see what we want they try to subtly shove it in our face until we are lured to make a buying decision. Its the same with social media like Facebook. We never cared before about the concept.Now we spent too many hours and energy on them and we are bombarded with information overload. I am starting to see mothers spending hours on facebook apps instead with their children or going outside for a walk with them. Scary shit!

My identity conflict and how corporations see me
Corporations want to find a way to get information from us and communicate with as at all times. This is a powerful marketing tool. It improves their business. It makes sense for them. It was hugely apparent in the last Marketing Forum I have been into. We had executives from big name businesses such as Financial Times and Google. We were going to have a spokesperson from Microsoft too but he didnt manage to come. Their constant concern was how to take information from consumers, how to analyze the raw data to get meaningful information, use that information to bombard the consumer with the appropriate content and find the best means to be able to contact the consumer up to a level that the consumer increases sales. Social media and always online technology were the answer and the future. I saw the future that our consoles were taking before they were revealed. And I didnt know how to take this. From a professional level, it makes sense. It's good. Its brilliant. Its the best thing since sliced bread. I work at a business and I am a part of this brilliant thing
As a self aware consumer? This was worrying.
I prefered the consumer POV because a business is concerned about its isolated interest. When I lay my foot outside the business doors I become a normal personl like everyone else and like everybody else I am a target unit who is subject to marketing "attacks" and luring by countless of businesses

My consoles as means of the above today
For a quick reminder read This is how things worked for me in the past.
The reveal of the XBone and PS4 both hide this under their cover. With XBone doing it more explicitly and intensely to the point where they want control of the console and games I purchase even AFTER I reach the comfort of my home. I no longer buy just a console. I buy a console that acts as a means of infiltration to my personal space. This is not what I want. I want to use a feature and look into their information when I feel strongly enough about it that I take my ass off the couch and look for it. If I feel that strongly about it, I am more likely to also make a quality decision that serves ME foremost and not the corporation. The easier its on my face,the easier I am going to make a decision that does not serve me. Today for example I have many digitally purchased games on my console's HDD that I dont play. To the contrary my disk based games actually got more use. Yeah yeah I know, we have to promote innovation, and evolution and blah blah I have heard it a dozen times. I like them and want them too. But this doesnt mean I will become the type of consumer that blindly accepts anything that is accompanied by "innovation and evolution". My message to this is " Change the means and intentions for innovation and evolution" and I will wholeheartedly open the gates of my consumerist heaven for them.

Why this years E3 turned me off

And to tell the truth I was never so turned off by a next gen revelation as this one. None of the companies tried to showcase a real change in how games will play. I saw old experiences in a better cover. Their emphasis to sell their products was towards a) improvements and features that are only available through more dependency on the corporate side such as cloud computing and DRM checks. And b)integrations with TV/social media. Not so much was shown about how games will improve from the opportunities opened by the more powerful hardware itself and its new peripherals. There was not a single game that has had an impact in me as the MGS2 trailer in 2000 above.
I would like to note that I stopped watching TV for years because I have realized that they are mostly bombarding my brain with crap information that I dear to admit I sometimes may even have enjoyed or often get carried away and develop in me negative emotions (because they are experts at doing so) . My brain's grey matter is too valuable to waste like that.

I mean, I check XBOXone's terms and conditions and I see bureaucracy and limitations just so they they can offer innovation, evolution and move forward. Thats a paradox.

Bureaucracy and gaming were two words belonging into different dimensions years ago. Now they are together.

I know that we are going to see some "revolutionary" games in the future on these consoles than what we saw at the conferences. But the biggest subject at this year's E3 was the DRM and online (un)social media features. Both companies under-delivered with their presentations regarding their gaming announcement and demonstrations. Sony would have had the worst conference after Nintendo if they didnt say two things:
a) "we support used ganes"
b) "$399"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really confused by these sort of posts and threads as there's no way for anyone but the original poster to reply on topic considering the entire topic is nothing but a personal testimony blog.

The only way people other than the original poster can respond on topic is with items not helpful at all such as:

"No. You're wrong. That is not how you feel."

Let's try something different. I'll rebrand this an expression thread, not a discussion thread. There are no right or wrong posts, and no replies. It's just for individuals to express their sentiments. Ergo there is no "I agree" or "I disagree" to previous posts. Only independent assertions of the form "I feel..."

My opinion is that there isn't much exciting. Sony dropping PSEye as standard means more of the same overall IMO. Looks to be much the same, only spruced up.

That said, modern games are still entertaining and there's going to be entertainment to be had. Solving technical difficulties from this gen's underpowered hardware means the same games will actually be better next-gen. We'll have higher framerates and better IQ and the experience will be smoother. The console architectures also suggest to me a 'golden age' for developers, who shold have perhaps the easiest generation in many writing for different platforms.

So nothing special to wow and excite, but plenty to enjoy, especially if indie content is allowed to flourish (either via PSN self-publishing or Windows RT titles or whatever) alongside the AAA titles.

I would like to see more game genres though. Lower budgets and more variety. I want to see God games and isometric strategies and space/plane combat and all sorts of lovely things we had in the 16 bit era that disappeared, plus new stuff enabled by new technology. It's early days for that, although either Sony or MS could have made a big splash there, Nintendo style.

Restructured to fit the thread. I leave this spoiler here as a copy of the original as a demonstration of how the format of a typical post should be changed for this thread.
As somebody else who first starting gaming on the Atari 2600, it seems to me that your main problem is that you're old.

I'm pretty sure all of your conclusions about "this generations gaming" can also be used to describe anything else in your life.

When I was 17, I thought my brand new 1992 Camaro was the best thing ever. I spent entire afternoons washing and waxing it. Now? My brand new 2012 Mustang GT? It's covered in dust and bird crap and the only thing I can think of is that I need to take it some place to get it cleaned. Spending 4 hours washing and waxing it myself is completely out of the question.

So, yeah. Things are much more exciting and interesting when they are new experiences. I love that Atari 2600. It opened up worlds of possibilities that I didn't even know existed. But the games themselves? They sucked. If you go back and try to play them again, you'll see just how horrific they are.

I do understand what you're saying. To me, it would be a bit different. My big problem isn't with the Atari 2600 to the One/PS4. My big problem is that I loved the King's Quest games from Sierra Online. Those games actually pushed the boundaries between game play and story telling. It was like Zork but with graphics! It was amazing and gave me the same sort of "This is something new and special" that the Atari 2600 gave me decades earlier.

We haven't seen that same sort of specialness since. Although, we probably have and are just too old to realize it. The Wiimote did a lot for pushing the boundaries of gaming. Kinect has played its part as well, and we'll have to wait and see if Kinect2 can push it farther.

That's why when people say "This is a tech forum, how come everybody isn't in love with the PS4 and are still supporting the One?", it's because the One is the only console that might actually provide that new, great "Wow!" experience. The PS4 is clearly just more of the same. It isn't going to be a game changer like the Atari 2600 or the Kings Quest games. Will the One? Ehhh.. It's still up in the air at this point, but there is at least an opportunity for hope.

I started gaming on the Atari 2600, it seems to me that your main problem for jaded gaming is getting older.

I think this applies to anything else in one's life.

When I was 17, I thought my brand new 1992 Camaro was the best thing ever. I spent entire afternoons washing and waxing it. Now? My brand new 2012 Mustang GT? It's covered in dust and bird crap and the only thing I can think of is that I need to take it some place to get it cleaned. Spending 4 hours washing and waxing it myself is completely out of the question.

So, yeah. Things are much more exciting and interesting when they are new experiences. I love that Atari 2600. It opened up worlds of possibilities that I didn't even know existed. But the games themselves? They sucked. If I were to go back and try to play them again, I'd see just how horrific they are.

My big problem is that I loved the King's Quest games from Sierra Online. Those games actually pushed the boundaries between game play and story telling. It was like Zork but with graphics! It was amazing and gave me the same sort of "This is something new and special" that the Atari 2600 gave me decades earlier.

We haven't seen that same sort of specialness since. Although, we probably have and are just too old to realize it. The Wiimote did a lot for pushing the boundaries of gaming. Kinect has played its part as well, and we'll have to wait and see if Kinect2 can push it farther.

That's why when people say "This is a tech forum, how come everybody isn't in love with the PS4 and are still supporting the One?", it's because the One is the only console that might actually provide that new, great "Wow!" experience. The PS4 is clearly just more of the same. It isn't going to be a game changer like the Atari 2600 or the Kings Quest games. Will the One? Ehhh.. It's still up in the air at this point, but there is at least an opportunity for hope.

Rancid, you misunderstand the format of this thread. There are to be no replies. It's not discussion. It's just people saying how they think/feel. This is because the topic of left to general debate would explode into a muddle of topics and basically be the 'gaming past, present and future' thread, which is the whole board in one thread. Ain't gonna work!

Rancid, you misunderstand the format of this thread. There are to be no replies. It's not discussion. It's just people saying how they think/feel. This is because the topic of left to general debate would explode into a muddle of topics and basically be the 'gaming past, present and future' thread, which is the whole board in one thread. Ain't gonna work!

Fair enough, I apologize.

Then let me state my opinion that nobody can reply to:

I think the Atari 2600 was such an awesome console because there was nothing to compare it against. Playing those games now only demonstrate how horrid they actually were. There was no AI, they all ran pre-scripted routines and as soon as you figured those out, you could beat any game at any time.

I think the Kings Quest games were amazing because that was the first opportunity for us to actually see graphically what we were doing. Zork was amazing. But Kings Quest took that up a million notches.

This "next generation" of gaming? PS4/One? Sony is clearly not even trying to push the boundaries and offer us something new. MS is, but of course, they're only doing so because they think there's a profit potential to do so.

I completely understand that gaming now, isn't nearly as fun as gaming was when we first started. But is that because we've changed, or is it because gaming has stagnated? I'd say a combination of both.

For me, I use my 360 less and less each day. Significantly less for playing games,and the majority of what I use my 360 for is non-gaming purposes. But I'm still going to buy a next-gen console. For some of the games, yes. But also for all the other things that they allow.

This reminds me that yes, I certainly do miss other genres. I miss adventure games that allow freedom of expression (like those Sierra games), by directly inputting text (perhaps Kinect can bring that back one day, or Smartglass like features for easier text input). I miss space games like Warhead or Elite (though the latter's sequel was kickstarted recently so it's coming, and there are some PC only interesting ones, but I want one on the PS4 with support for all the gyro functions). I'm secretly hoping that Guerilla is doing another project that is a modern envisioning of G-Police - I never really played that game much, but I think today it should be doable really well. Etc.

I'm hoping that above all stuff like self-publishing and Kickstarter will help some of these things come back.

I switched to consoles in 2003 because the "release it broken, wait for the patch" mentality of PC developers had just pushed me too far. I haven't cared about graphics since last gen. If the current generation of consoles hadn't been capable of anything more than Gamecube-style graphics in HD, I honestly wouldn't have minded. It's not that I don't recognize the difference; it's that I just don't care. I bought a PS3 for little more reason than I had worked through most of the last-gen library I was really interested in.

Being able to play online was a nice bonus at the time, but it ended up being almost exclusively what I do. I just got addicted to filling up bars in COD. I just like getting together with a team of guys and kicking butt.

So at this point, all I want is a box that I can play games on. I don't want to wave my arms. I don't want to dance around the room. I don't want to futz around with a second screen. I'm not "excited" about PS4; it simply is the machine I will buy in order to play games because it's the machine that's got the least amount of extraneous BS that I don't want to pay for. If last-gen graphics were good enough to me, guess what I think about current-gen graphics? I will keep playing the PS3 probably until the new games stop being cross-generation.

None of my college buddies game on consoles. They're all PC Master Race types, but I can't be bothered to futz with a PC or use a Windwos product for any reason. I don't have to, so I don't.

I am more excited than ever about gaming this generation than I've ever been before in my life.

Mind you, time goes on, I thought I had plenty of time, but hell, do the years fly! :oops:

I do think that I will always be a Xbox guy but I do like PS4-WiiU (the later slightly less) but I am faithful to Xbox so yeah I think there will be greater experiences for the Xbox in the future.

WiiU, not even Nintendo know what it is. PS4 is much better, although I agree with Shifty in some points. :eek:

Whichever console wins this generation I don't care. Consoles are more capable so developers can express their ideas in a much better way and enrich their experience and ours. That's the thing for me.

I wouldn't personally restrict myself by playing just one console, so I am going to preorder the Xbox One and if things go as planned I'll buy the PS4 later down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an easily pleased bugger to be honest.

I think innovation and gimmicks are overrated. I couldn't care less for things like Occulus Rift and all the other buzzword popular "this is teh future!" nonsense that everyone always says will take over from traditional gaming and it never does.

Gaming hasn't really changed all that much since we got into the 3D era. Of course gameplay and game world complexity deepened. And in some cases not in a good way (and in others the reverse was even true, i.e. "streamlining" errgh!). I just appreciate great games, whether they be traditional tried and tested mechanics and settings being used to tell a brand new story, or even something genuinely fresh and new like Heavy Rain, Journey or Demon Souls that doesn't require me to learn a new interface, but simply innovates by coming up with brand new gameplay ideas. Just gimme games as I've always loved them, with ever increasingly shinier new coats i don't mind.

I'm just not a fussy a dude I guess.

I'm an easily pleased bugger to be honest.

I think innovation and gimmicks are overrated. I couldn't care less for things like Occulus Rift and all the other buzzword popular "this is teh future!" nonsense that everyone always says will take over from traditional gaming and it never does.

Gaming hasn't really changed all that much since we got into the 3D era. Of course gameplay and game world complexity deepened. And in some cases not in a good way (and in others the reverse was even true, i.e. "streamlining" errgh!). I just appreciate great games, whether they be traditional tried and tested mechanics and settings being used to tell a brand new story, or even something genuinely fresh and new like Heavy Rain, Journey or Demon Souls that doesn't require me to learn a new interface, but simply innovates by coming up with brand new gameplay ideas. Just gimme games as I've always loved them, with ever increasingly shinier new coats i don't mind.

I'm just not a fussy a dude I guess.

Same here. That said, I do like me some form of innovation from time to time, and I actually think there was actually quite a bit of freshness on display this year, and not just in the indie space.

My feelings about next-gen:

Last gen was about online play. Xbox Live was the best online gaming service available at the start of the generation. The hardware started off pretty powerful for the price, and later on they added all of the content streaming features, which brought those things into your living room easily.

Looking at this gen, I don't really see what the big differentiator is supposed to be anymore. I thought it would be voice and motion and pervasive connectedness. Sony pulled Eye out of the box, which means multiplatform developers are likely to stay away from voice and motion. Exclusives are becoming less and less of a reason to buy consoles, because the multiplatform quality is on par, if not better in many cases. Microsoft has to hope they can do some great things with Kinect. Hopefully they do some cool stuff with online connectivity, and aren't scared off by the people that have crap Internet. The only thing Microsoft and Sony have going for them is some data center infrastructure for compute and services that PC developers won't have available to them without paying Amazon, Rackspace or some other provider.

I just can't see what the big selling point is supposed to be this time around.

I'm really looking forward to next generation. Both Microsoft and Sony oversold 'HD' gaming for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. 1080p happened rarely and even 720p wasn't overly common and both resolutions generally came with frame rate of tearing issues. While graphics certainly aren't everything, technical issues can certainly break immersion.

I'm not expecting too much in the way of great new gaming paradigms because this is less about technology than radical different gaming design and this won't just happen but the move to greater immediacy is completely welcome. When I can pick up my iPad, I can be inside a game within a few seconds, and this is what I want and expect of my console.

record of your personal opinion to share and to maintain for posterity

:p

I started gaming on a 286 PC playing Lode Runner and Dangerous Dave. It seems crazy but looking forward I really only hope for two major things: I hope that we'll see some great open world titles because a LOVE them and essentially they are the only games I really buy nowadays. The other thing I hope for is that the advanced controller types like Kinect finally make something of themselves inside/outside of games.

I'm 28 now and I have put a lot of hours into gaming. I still love good graphics and great artistry even with all the game-time I've put in, but I can also go back and play the classics whenever I feel the need. The problem I have had with this generation is the lack of games which have really 'grabbed' me on the consoles. Steam really is a life-saver in terms of finding new and innovative ways to play because consoles just seem so dry.

One thing which seems to get me now, when it never used to, is the graphical violence in games. I really am starting to struggle with the level of violence realistically portrayed in games given the advances in graphics. I find Sony to be the worst offender here and I cannot see myself buying their console for this reason alone. Sony's developers are simply too good with too large a budget, and their portrayal of violence given their excellent graphics and animation can be sickening whilst also impressive.

I just want Square-Enix to dazzle me again like the first time I saw/played Final Fantasy X on PS2 in 2001 when I was 12. Those CG scenes were freaking amazing. I also totally loved the movie-like action experiences that was the Uncharted series. Wow.

I guess in all of this I'm looking to see the next-generation of storytelling in games. What will we get now that wasn't possible before?

At the very core, I just want the hardware stabilizing effects on PC that this current generation had.

People I know with 3-5 year old gaming PCs have been able to use those gaming PCs with little trouble for all this time. Sure, mostly with console ports, or games with considerable console versions, but the stabilizing effect was felt everywhere.

But, on top of the normalizing effect, we also get to see developers get really, really familiar with the technology of the current generation.

I want devs to get really familiar with things like tesselation, GPU computing, and other technologies that I might not even know exist in the console hardware spec.

As a long time PC gamer, I just got tired of all the keeping up with it all.

I distinctly remember the day my brother bought the C64. I was 6, it was 1983. Back then it was all about blocky sprites and sidescrolling games. Later it was about more colors, and better sound on the amiga. After that it was beefier processing power and the advent of 3D games (PC).. but the biggest turning point for me was when I - more out of curiosity than real desire - bought the Xbox360. It was 2006, and Gears of War had just been released.

The thing is, at the time I was a PC (kind of elitist) gamer, so consoles really hadn't been on my radar. But around the time I bought the Xbox 360, I was starting to get annoyed by the constant upgrading, less than optimal optimized games and all the compatibility issues that follows a platform where myriads of different hardware combinations are available. So to me the Xbox360 was an epiphany. To just sit back and relax, playing the game and stop worrying about configurations, patches and drivers was what I needed. I've had most of my best gaming experiences with the Xbox 360 - like the above mentioned GoW and Rock Band, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, 3, Forza Motorsport 4, Minecraft, Borderlands 2 and tons of others.

So I'm looking forward to the next gen. Considering what the developers can do with the Xbox360 and the PS3 - how far they can push 7-8 year old hardware, is enough to convince me that both the PS4 and the Xbox One will be more than capable gaming machines. As a family father at the age of 36 - I think the forward looking inclusion of the new Kinect device will make the Xbox One the console of choice in our home, but perhaps further down the line I'll get a PS4 as well. Because I'm curious.

What is important to me now is different than what used to be important. I once build large SLI gaming PCs, but now I just want my gaming system to be as quiet as possible. I want them to ready at short notice. I want them to fully use whatever power they have available. I want a seamless experience. I want consistency of the experience, not just speed and brute force. So to me gaming is on the consoles. And this time I pre-ordered one.

btw.
I still have a token gaming PC in the house, but the last time I turned it on was to downclock it, so I could get the noise levels down. And then I played a few hours, and turned it off again. It still feels like work to me.

Back