Not open for further replies.
Round 2: PC-Engine vs. london-boy
Winner: undecided

Coming next

Round 3: PC-Engine vs. Dr. Evil
Winner: TBA in 8 pages

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Stop dodging the issue. How is SONY in the market and SEGA out of the market somehow better for games and market size? That's your whole argument right there now support it with facts of how all the supposedly great games on PS1 and PS2 wouldn't be possible on a SEGA console if SONY wasn't in the market. ;)

I'm not dodging anything. You got it all wrong, as usual and to be honest i don't feel like repeating myself. I never said that the fact Sony is in and Sega is out is better for games cause they do better games.
I only commented on the fact that the market would not be this size if Sony had never targetted the casual gamers in the PS1 days and continued to do so till today.
You obviously read "I Hate Sega" comments in any comment that disagrees with you. Then put words in other people's mouths. That's your problem, not mine.
I don't need to prove anything to anyone. If you go back and REALLY read the posts that have been made before you started shitting all over yet another thread with your trolling you'd understand. No actually you wouldn't. That would be asking too much.
I won't reply anymore to this thread, i've made my points, and you obviously felt the need to ruin yet another thread.
This was NEVER a "Sony is better than everyone else, thank god Sega's dead!" thread. Obviously you felt the need to turn it into one. As always.
Way to go, PC-Engine.

Instead we're playing crappy Sonic games and other incredible games on GC PS2 and Xbox... what a shame huh.... I mean when was the last time Sega made an awesome Sonic game?! On SegaCD! When was the last time Sega made and awesome game period.

Just be honest with yourself lb...

PC-Engine said:

I'll go to Tibet and stay for 7 years to find myself. Happy?

In the meantime, try reading what the discussion was BEFORE you started shitting all over it. Selective quoting only makes you look stupid.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

I'll go to Tibet and stay for 7 years to find myself. Happy?

In the meantime, try reading what the discussion was BEFORE you started shitting all over it. Selective quoting only makes you look stupid.

Look I know what you said from the beginning. You and jvd were talking about innovation. You said the SONY expanding the market to a wider audience is innovation, BUT YOU STILL HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY VALID EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT ASSERTION. HOW HAS IT EXPANDED THE MARKET? Got specifics? I'd like to hear them because so far I haven seen or heard of any from you. Please correct me if I'm mistaken and point me to where the evidence is. ;)

Why is everyone trying to convince the little boy who clearly doesn't want to be convinced :?:

PC-Engine wrote:
Maybe instead of shifting to personal jabs with nada to back it up, you should provide some evidence to support your argument instead.....oh wait!

This coming from someone who said...

99% of Xbox titles are 3rd party. 99% of titles for PS1 or PS2 is 3rd party.

:?

Perhaps you were exaggerating to make your point. Because Sony's own development studios have actually produced some quality content - witness Gran Turismo, ICO, Jak and Daxter, SOCOM, and Sly Cooper.

And Sony's bought development houses in an effort to bolster its portfolio (Naughty Dog, Rainbow, Cambridge, Insomniac, Incognito, etc.). IGN has put together a pretty good list of games:

http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025653.html

In any case, it's always been apparent to me that the game industry gained a big boost from Sony's arrival in the marketplace. The Sony name alone opened gaming to a whole new audience, and brought back others who thought they'd outgrown "playing Nintendo."

Because the Sony brand enjoys universal appeal, it allowed the company to make inroads among people Sega and Nintendo just couldn't reach. As we saw from its start in 1995, the original PlayStation was a great commercial success among "older" gamers between 18 and 25. And its reach only expanded from there.

But Sony's name wasn't the only reason for that. The company focused on more "mature" content. It pushed that angle hard. Gamers were growing up, and Sony kept pace. Today, gaming has grown up considerably, and I think Sony's entrance had a lot to do with that.

Certainly, Nintendo's still making the same games it was 10 or even 15 years ago. It hasn't done as much as Sony to attract new audiences and grow the market.

So, like it or not, Sony's arrival and ascendence has a lot to do with the success this industry is currently enjoying, and the games you're playing today. While we'll never know what it would have been like had Sony never come in, it's a safe bet that gaming would have had to wait a lot longer to gain the mass acceptance Sony has achieved with its consoles.

That's sounds reasonable to me and I agree SONY has changed the market somewhat which is a given just like every other gaming company before it. Yes SONY has accelerated the pace of gaming adoption and acceptance by entering the market never disagreed with that, but at the same time they pushed SEGA out of the market which was providing great software AND hardware. So in a way the market shrank somewhat at the same time that it expanded so in the long run it's arguable whether that was an improvement or not. However I still don't think that expanding the market in and of itself is innovation like lb says since any company with enough money and effort upon entering the market will contibute to expansion almost by default.

PC Engine said:
It initially didn't support MP3 only ATRAC.

Huh, WTF? It's always supported AAC, MP3, and ATRAC3 from the get go. And for the record it doesn't support ATRAC or ATRAC3plus, just ATRAC3 (and that's just speaking for the audio player).

jvd said:
Sega , 3do and even whoever made turbo graphics 16 all did . They all made it more than just a kiddy console . They added cds which started to cross into the realm of the living room way before sony did .

Slapping a CD-ROM drive in your system doesn't make it more less "kiddy" or change the marketing emphasis to wider demographics. I'd definately say Sony was the most influential in placing marketing emphasis on expanding gaming demographics (going all the way up to 50+).

PC-Engine said:
More mainstream? You mean back during the Genesis and SNES days it wasn't mainstream?

Nope, they weren't...[/quote]

Huh, WTF? It's always supported AAC, MP3, and ATRAC3 from the get go. And for the record it doesn't support ATRAC or ATRAC3plus, just ATRAC3 (and that's just speaking for the audio player).

Converting an MP3 to ATRAC in order for the file to be played on PSP is not what I call supporting MP3. Native MP3 support wasn't decided upon until later when people complained. The decision was made before PSP was finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back