Develop source: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Megadrive1988, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA

This E3 should be quite the interesting show with next-gen Nintendo and possibly next-gen Microsoft reveals. Question is, now, must Sony have an answer too? I cannot wait to find out ^__^

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Wow, could Nintendo be caught with the pants on their hands with this one?

IMO, it's too soon, looking at how much they've spent and how much they've lost on the hardware with the initial sell-at-a-loss and the whole RROD thing.
    But then again, it's Microsoft with their deep pockets.

3. Silenti

Regular

Pardon the ignorance, but presuming there is any truth to this, given the timeframe, wouldn't this be a PC with hardware meant to simulate the kind of power available? In other words, something that bears little resemblance to the final hardware's capabilities much less anything like the architecture?

Wasn't there an Xbox 360 alpha hardware setup that had the right amount of RAM, a POWERPC chip that was not even the right architecture and a graphics card which wasn't even close?

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Well, the first Wii playable demos were shown in actual gamecubes (really, they had gamecubes behind a box and a journalist happened to peek behind and take pictures), and the first PS3 demos were just pre-renders with an image quality that never came to be possible in the console.
    So a PC with hardware capable of (emu?)simulating the console's final hardware would actually be more "honest" than what we've seen in the last gen's announcements.

I don't remember that at all, but you could be right.

Still don't think it's true, though. Microsoft can afford to wait for more disruptive tech advancements to happen before launching their next console, and so does Sony.
    Nintendo, on the other hand, cannot.

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

The pre release 360 dev hardware was a Mac G5 with a Radeon X800XT. I think they had a second generation kit with X1800 or X1900 too. Ironically that hardware was probably faster than the real thing, certainly if there was one with a X1900.

6. kagemaru

Veteran

MS is making a mistake if this is true IMO.

7. Megadrive1988

Veteran

Yeah Mac G5s with Radeon X800 cards.

edit: beaten.

8. -tkf-

Legend

No, stealing thunder is a cool move. Nintendo shows WII2, MS shows 720 "prototype" which may be released after the WII 2 but they still take the wind out of Nintendos sails.

Imho, the one of the 3 that gets left behind on the release will hurt the most. Microsoft did a great job with the 360 early launch and clearly caught Sony on the wrong foot.

Repeat of last gen?

9. bkilian

Veteran

I suspect it's not true.

10. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Too soon! It doesn't make sense with Kinect launching just recently....

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Not according to Nintendo. GameCube-ish box != Actual GameCube.

12. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Eeerm.. yeah right.
    It was all new hardware that they somehow decided to put inside a Gamecube case, and then they covered it so no one could see it, just in case people would suspect it was an actual GC..

13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Silenti's not talking about E3 showings (for which many companies use smoke and mirrors, such is PR, so there's no point trying to identify any of them as being more righteous), but developer systems. And he's right. Developers began development for XB360 on Macs. It could be that the first gen systems developers are being handed have something like the performance and coding characteristics of the intended consoles. Or maybe even just the right controller and camera APIs in a PC for them to experiment with. A custom part won't be available this early, and it's possible even if a fairly off-the-shelf component is used, it'll be approximated with current hardware.

14. kagemaru

Veteran

IMO showing your hand too early can be a bad move.

It's not clear how much thunder Ninty will have by revealing the WiiHD, so trying to counter something that may not even be there is risky I would think.

It may do more harm than good to show it this early IMO. Let Ninty show what they have and be a better position to counter it I would think.

I hope you're right.

15. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Unless they already know all they need to know about Nintendo Feel (2007-level graphics + marginally better cpu, 2GB 128-bit DDR3, controller with 960*540 screen and tactile feedback).
    If Microsoft has a trusted-enough source that confirms the above, they might be already planning to release i.e. a console with ~HD6990 graphics power + Power7 CPU + 4\8GB GDDR5 256 bit UMA + blu-ray + kinect evolution, with nice-looking demos that will try steal the thunder away from Nintendo.

Just outspeccing the Nintendo console enough to create a generation gap "feeling" amongst the public could be enough to steal the show.

#15 ToTTenTranz, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  16. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

The losses (or maybe even profits?) Of Xbox 360 depending on how the rest of the division did are already sunk. Holding on to a console because you haven't made your money back is a foolish decision.

Too soon? Kinect as an interface isn't going to die off if both the current and the new console support it, maybe to the point where both support the same games?

That depends on the merits of new controller Nintendo develops.

17. dragonelite

Veteran

I dont understand why do i always see people saying build in kinect.
    If i see how my friends and i have our 360 placed dumped somewhere in the tv stand i can't use the functionality.

18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

This year Nintendo will be last with their press conference. MS i Sony will try their best to capture the minds of the press before nintendo's new console reveal. IMO this MS will reveal their next console in 2012.

June 6th Microsoft: 9:00 A.M. PST
    June 6th Sony: 5:00 P.M. PST
    June 7th Nintendo: 9:00 A.M. PST

19. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

20. Rangers

Legend

Anybody on this board should be sophisticated enough to know a new Xbox in 2k12 is highly unlikely. I even rate 2013 as rather unlikely. Microsoft may well have a vague target of 2013 I suspect, but I'm also guessing it'll slip due to time pressures.

#20 Rangers, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.