Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by Farid, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Since, the platform has been officially announced, we can now move from the pure speculation thread into a more grounded in reality thread with the official announcement of the -still nameless- platform by Sony today. That NeoGeo Portable (NGP) thing seem to be a codename only, the actual name should be revealed at a later date. And knowing Sony, it should be something groundbreaking like PlayStation Portable 2!

The Facts

So, here's the current information of the portable itself:

Press Release

Known Specs

Current Publisher/Developer support list

Pictures (shamelessly stolen from various sites and then hosted on IMGur):

[​IMG]

As you can see, the SGX543MP4+ can render photorealistic Diego Maradonas. Up to 4 Diego Maradona per cycle, I heard from a source close to IMGtech.

[​IMG]

The solid-state based media (UMDs not so universal anymore, it seems):
    [​IMG]

The beauty shots, a.k.a. "If this was yours it will be full of fingerprint smudges and dust particles" shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, I have to commend SCE for letting a 14 year old who famously made skins for Winamp, Winzip and jailbroken iPhones design the interface of the NGP:

[​IMG]

The Speculation™, a B3D Tradition

So, let's not those silly and overrated 'facts' get in the way of what we do best here on B3D forums, speculate. There are still many technical variables left to be unveiled:
    - RAM: VRAM, or Unified architecture? eDRAM? And more importantly, how much of it?
    - CPU: Does the Cortex CPU embark the powerful NEON VFPU/SIMD engine?
    - GPU: How is SGX543MP4+ setup on the physical die?
    - Clock speeds: That holds true for the whole thing (CPU, GPU, RAM). And should we expect a PSP like scenario where the console is down clocked at launch?
    - ROM: What technology these solid state cart use and in what size will they be available to publishers at launch? Will it be pricey for publishers?

I can answer some of these questions already, but where would be the fun in that? It's speculation time... again, B3D!

2. MfA

MfA
    Legend

They should have gone with the 3M stereoscopic solution.

3. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Will they have a decent system for online downloads this time from people who understand how encryption works?

This is how it SHOULD work IMO :

- You make an account -> this creates a secret key associated with an account.

- You buy and download games to your PC -> these are encrypted with the secret key, completely and utterly useless without a PSP with the key stored in it.

- You associate a PSP with your account -> this requires an active connection with the PSP, you would probably use "P"KI to make hacking a little more cumbersome (the PSP communicates it's device ID so the server can find it's half of the key). The server then hands over the secret key to the PSP and it can play the games.

- You download the games you want from your on PC library to flash and bung it in.

To disassociate a PSP with your account so you could associate a different PSP with the account you would either require an active connection with the original PSP, or if it's broken you'd have to send it in ... if it got stolen or lost you would probably have to add some hoop jumping checks where you send in an insurance/police report. To diminish the impact of this they can allow multiple PSPs to be tied to an account at once, like they are doing already.

#3 MfA, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  4. darkblu

Veteran

Congrats, IMG!

5. ltcommander.data

Regular

What do they mean by IMGTech SGX543MP4+? Have they not decided on MP4 or MP8 yet or is this a custom version of the SGX543 while distinct from say a SGX544?

6. Rob Evans

Newcomer

I believe the '+' in SGX543MP4+ refers to integrated 128MB RAM - presumably for improved performance over unified memory.

7. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

I'm equally impressed by the specifications and the learning resistance at Sony HQ.

8. corduroygt

Banned

HDMI? The power pins are different than data pins, they're all there in the same connector.
    Only problem seems to be that HDMI spec only provides for 55mA current over the connector, although many HDMI devices provide far more than that, it still won't be guaranteed to charge.

Plan B: Sell a wireless HDMI adapter accessory to plug in to the TV and connect like that. For those who have a PS3, the PS3 can be that "wireless HDMI accessory".

9. DeanA

Newcomer

This.

10. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

I am very curious about the battery life.

11. Mike11

Regular

Too bad Sony already confirmed that there is no TV-out :( I guess Sony is too afraid of PS3 cannibalization.

12. rpg.314

Veteran

Are you saying that PSP2 has 128MB ram on the same die as the gpu?

13. Mike11

Regular

End of the year? So is this gonna be the first quad core (CPU+GPU) SoC to be available in a mass market consumer device?

14. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Hmmm I'd rather congratulate Sony for giving Apple a free ticket to ride for such a short time.

15. suryad

Veteran

Wow interesting. This would seem to strengthen the legitimacy (in my mind) of Nvidia's Tegra going quad core and be out on devices this Fall.

16. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Learning what? The fabled and non-written rule of law that the hardware in an handheld should be highly profitable garbage?

There is a market for high-end handheld. The PSP was an high-end handheld, with limited input functionality (no touchscreen) and mobility (wifi only), it was release at the beginning (if not before) of the whole mobile internet mainstream era, and it yet was a successful product for Sony.

Was it a different product than the Nintendo DS? Yes, and that's good! The last thing I'd want is to see another PS360 situation where two machines are stupidly redundant of one another.

I'll get a NGP for my high-end portable gaming, media consumption and internet browsing (in conjunction with my smartphones, netbooks and tablets. It's not one or another when it could be any) and a 3DS for the 3DS exclusives.

But I seriously won't let the idea of thinking that Sony might not have as much market share as Nintendo in the handheld space affect my purchase decisions.

Save for the potentially stupidly low battery life of the thing, I'm positively surprised by the quality of the product. It's like it addressed all my personal issues with handheld gaming. Save for that disgusting interface, it's almost the perfect gaming handheld to me. Now, if they allowed some sort of homebrew on it, so we can get emulators running on it, it would be the perfect gaming handheld.

17. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

Farid, I prepared a detailed response but after a few sentences decided I don't really want to get into an argument over this. It's all fair points you mentioned. I just notice Sony is repeating many mistakes, not only with the hardware, but also how this device is positioned (which is probably a consequence of the former).

However, if Ubisoft Paris puts the promised sequel to XIII on NGP, I will consider it :D

18. draconian

Newcomer

reasons why the psp2 could already be dead

It was interesting to see the dearth of support from western publisher. The psp w/ all it's piracy problems left a bad taste in people's mouth. I'm sure the recent hacks don't give many publishers much confidence in Sony's security for the psp2(also, I think all arm cortex based devices have all been rooted anyways.)

This device will be priced high. I don't believe sony will take a loss, there is very little cost savings they can leverage with future die shrinks. aren't we at the limit now anyways? 22nm is the limit before quantum mechanical effects are problematic?

Lastly, psp2 games are still going to be expensive. How are psp minis supposed to compete with $0.99 iOS games? iOS don't need any certification from the esrb or from the platform holder whereas all psp2 games will still need this certification. (ESRB charges llike $800 for psp minis.)

priced high + lack of western support + high barrier of entry for smaller developers due to certification = possibly dead psp2.

19. GZ007

Regular

20. Prophecy2k

Veteran

I've heard of Jumping to Conclusions but...

All speculation by yourself and none of rooted in current verifiable reality.

Why would western publishers not support the PSP2?

I'm having a terribly difficult time understanding the logic of people that make these kinds of comments.