Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

AFAIK, the PSP already ran PS1 games through a general purpose emulator and the Vita also runs PSP games the same way.
The Vita TV's spec sheet mentions a 4-core Cortex A9 and a SGX543MP4+, the same as the Vita.

There's also a new Vita, model 2000. A bit slimmer and lighter, larger battery but they swaped the OLED for an LCD screen of the same size.

Killzone: Mercenary delivers a Vita engine with many layers of per-pixel effects and post-processing touches yet doesn't sacrifice the base IQ to do it. It's not a coincidence that it's a forward renderer, an apt fit for the TBDR hardware.

Deferred rendering software engines have their place on Vita, but they seemed like an all-too-common transplant from work done on home console engines.

http://youtu.be/47r_EteqFbQ

Killzone: Mercenary delivers a Vita engine with many layers of per-pixel effects and post-processing touches yet doesn't sacrifice the base IQ to do it. It's not a coincidence that it's a forward renderer, an apt fit for the TBDR hardware.

Deferred rendering software engines have their place on Vita, but they seemed like an all-too-common transplant from work done on home console engines.

http://youtu.be/47r_EteqFbQ
I've been wondering if clustered forward + would be a good fit, one could fit the tile size with TBDR tiles.

In a piece on the new qualcomm chips, by jon peddie, he suggests 2014 could see a revised sony handheld ? It seems early to me.

Sony is almost due for a new handheld release, the Vita arrived with Imagination Technologies GPU design in February 2012, so 2014 would be a good refresh associated with the PS4. Nintendo is really ready for a new handheld gaming machine, and Microsoft has been looking for an entry point into handhelds for years. The Snaprdragon 805 could be their ticket to Androidville and a competitive positioning against Apple iPhones with snap-on controllers from Logitech and Moga, and Nvidia’s Shield.

http://jonpeddie.com/back-pages/comments/qualcomm-moves-to-4k-with-snapdragon-805/

anyone know if the vita graphics API uses PRVTC for its textures ?

like I said before the psp2 came out. It needs to include texting ability else it will do exactly what I predicted the vita to do, and FAIL

It's not too late for Sony to burn more money chasing a market which is long gone.

Changed, yes, but I don't think this market is necessarily gone. The next PSP could be an Android smartphone with an especially powerful GPU, the ability to play all Android games, plus specific PSP games that could take advantage of some kind of snap-on controller accessory. The latter would have to be good, and sold with each PSP, so that developers could rely on its presence. It might include a secondary battery.

Sony is struggling in the android phone market.

People buying high end phones don't want game controls on them. Maybe if the controls were detachable. But how much would that add to the price?

Fundamental problem is that the market for $50 or more games is under challenge.

Sony is struggling in the android phone market.

People buying high end phones don't want game controls on them. Maybe if the controls were detachable. But how much would that add to the price?

Fundamental problem is that the market for $50 or more games is under challenge.
Isn't Sony one of the few companies to do well in the smartphone market?

Their shares grew in the last quarters, mostly thanks to sales in Japan, still they are doing better than quite a few companies.

As for a new PSV, well their will be a new Shield we know that much but it is not direct competition for the PSV.
Imho opinion be it the PSV or the Shield, they can't reach a sane level of adoption if they don't ship at a significantly lower price.
I would think that 199$ is the absolute maximum at launch, may be lower for Sony as the system doesn't run Android and the shield is more of a boutique product aiming at a tiny niche.

Wrt to the hardware Sony:
* should adopt a foldable design
* should go for a wider screen (6 inches for example)
* should go for a middle of the road SoC
* should give up on the touchpad on the back of the device
* should use controls that match closely those of the DS4
* should overall use affordable part (bis)

Anyway I disagree with the guy on every account, Sony is unlikely to launch a new PSV in 2014, I don't think using that Samsung SoC (edit Qualcomm) is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could imagine the Vita and an Android based tablet that has the controls to do PS4 remote play to exist side-by-side. A Vita 2 is ... a bit too soon. They just released a remodel that is more focussed on becoming cheaper (but did get more RAM too, I think, for multi-tasking/browsing, which by the way happened with the original PSP too).

The PS4 Remote Play thing would have to be a smash hit for a new Vita to have a chance at success.

Unless they can deliver a device with state of the art internals for $100 and cheaper games.

Or they need to find a way to drive down the price of the existing Vita down to $100 and lower the prices of games.

I could imagine the Vita and an Android based tablet that has the controls to do PS4 remote play to exist side-by-side. A Vita 2 is ... a bit too soon. They just released a remodel that is more focussed on becoming cheaper (but did get more RAM too, I think, for multi-tasking/browsing, which by the way happened with the original PSP too).

Are you sure the 2000 model has more RAM?

Yes, 64 instead of 32. The 1k could not run Skype. 2k and up used it for autocaching UMD for games.

Yes, 64 instead of 32. The 1k could not run Skype. 2k and up used it for autocaching UMD for games.

Erm.. I think that from your post you were referring to the Vita 2000 having more RAM. AFAIK, it doesn't.

What it does have is 1GB of flash for user data. Not RAM.

Ah sorry, mix-up on my end then!

Remote Play on Vita is Awesome by the way. Even Flower worked great. Resogun plays just as well too. AC4 perfect as well.

The PS4 Remote Play thing would have to be a smash hit for a new Vita to have a chance at success.

Unless they can deliver a device with state of the art internals for $100 and cheaper games.

Or they need to find a way to drive down the price of the existing Vita down to $100 and lower the prices of games.
Price is not the key problem. Nintendo can still sell 3DS game at 40 dollars. The problem is that vita doesn't have enough system sellers, and SCE itself doesn't put enough effort on the development on vita games.If they can create games like Tearaway or KZ 5~6 times per year, than vita will revive and SCE can still sell games at 40 dollars.Great games are the only way to make handheld consoles survive.

Is the 3DS doing gangbusters?

Smart phones, especially iPhones, are getting popular even in Japan. Lot of cheap games for smart phones.

Back