First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

As far as i'm concerned i'll just be happy to see some of their technology shared among Sony's other internal studios for whatever games they may work on in the future.. Granted it's probably not going to be suited to all game types but i'm sure there's enough in there (especially with regards to SPU [practical] usage) for other to be able to take out and adapt to their own needs..

Isn't it part of edge already?

"GDC 07: Killzone footage used to hype PlayStation Edge"
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/news.html?sid=6166945

Isn't it part of edge already?

"GDC 07: Killzone footage used to hype PlayStation Edge"
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/news.html?sid=6166945

Not as far as i'm aware..

According to that article the demo of Killzone shown was the much much earlier footage which didn't run on the new engine but was more of a tech demo using killzone as the thematic setting and thus, not the game itself..

I could be wrong however and Edge could have been evolved internally by GG into the Killzone 2 engine we see todya but personally I don't think that's very likely..

Heavenly Sword does two to three times as much... but for one, they can use more transparent polys (for particle effects I guess) because it's a forward renderer.

Heavenly Sword does two to three times as much... but for one, they can use more transparent polys (for particle effects I guess) because it's a forward renderer.
Triangle counts are not comparable in this case.. just wait for their presentation to be released

Ok, so that would be around 60 to 90 millions a second then in HS.

Heres the quote in full context.

Steven Ter Heide, one of the producers on the project at Guerilla, says: "The PS3 allows us to deal with a tremendous amount of data on screen, the amount of polygons on screens, animation, the hit responses."

One level of the game equates to about two gigabytes of data, he says.

He adds: "In this one sequence at the start of the level we are drawing well over one million polygons. There's a lot of processing power needed to pull off these effects, such as motion blur, full-screen anti-aliasing, volumetric smoke."

EDIT: Removed som irrelevant information about other stuff in the quote.

He said one million polygons for just that sequence though which should make us wonder how much they are using on other sequences :)

He said one million polygons for just that sequence though which should make us wonder how much they are using on other sequences :)

Six BILLION polygons!

Really, probably roughly the same or less. I'm sure he picked that sequence as an example of the high-end

Really, probably roughly the same or less. I'm sure he picked that sequence as an example of the high-end
Or he mentioned it because it was what was on the screen at the time of the interview. Furthermore drawing 1 million polys has different connotations. Does that include shadows and other polygon effects? 'Coz a 2 million budget in a frame can spend half that budget on non-drawn polys, so 'polys per frame' does not inherently equal 'polys drawn'.

If the info is to be made public as nAo suggests, it's probably best to wait for that!

Incidentally, that BBC vid showed the trailer in a much better light IMO. The quality of environmental lighting was better. I don't know if the sceondary illumination was dynamic or not, but at least I could see it there, where on the trailer everything was too dark and I hadn't noticed it.

Or he mentioned it because it was what was on the screen at the time of the interview. Furthermore drawing 1 million polys has different connotations. Does that include shadows and other polygon effects? 'Coz a 2 million budget in a frame can spend half that budget on non-drawn polys, so 'polys per frame' does not inherently equal 'polys drawn'.

If the info is to be made public as nAo suggests, it's probably best to wait for that!

Incidentally, that BBC vid showed the trailer in a much better light IMO. The quality of environmental lighting was better. I don't know if the sceondary illumination was dynamic or not, but at least I could see it there, where on the trailer everything was too dark and I hadn't noticed it.

Waiting is for cowards. I'm sticking with my prediction of a six billion polygon budget ... viewable.

Does not sound like an extremely high count... joker talked about having 3 million in a scene at 60 fps running on 360.

Well as I said we still dont know how many polygons there are there in other scenes. Are we comparing comparable scenes?

There could be for example 6 million polygons or more in others at 30fps.

It is also dependable on what the game actually does in these scenes I suppose

C'mon guys, comparing different titles/different engines using polygon count is kind of retarted, we're in the shaders era, not in the T&L era anymore

Back