Official E3 Microsoft Conference Thread 2010

Anybody gotten a close up view of the new controller? I've read varying reports that the new controller is less rounded and has more edges (mimic'ing the comparison between the old and new console designs), also that it has a different color scheme.

But so far, no pics?

Anybody gotten a close up view of the new controller? I've read varying reports that the new controller is less rounded and has more edges (mimic'ing the comparison between the old and new console designs), also that it has a different color scheme.

But so far, no pics?

Hit 0:58

The controller looks exactly the same. There about 3 differences though. 1) Guide button is now green & chrome instead of green & silver 2) It's a darker black 3) Dpad is black too.

Tommy McClain

Microsoft has said they'll replace the Arcade with a $200 SKU. Is it possible they could do that with a 360S, but no hard drive, WiFi, wireless controller or wired headset? Could that be enough to offset the cost of Kinect? You could then just use Kinect for the interface. It would be nice to see if you could completely control the Xbox from boot to Kinect Hub with just gestures(no assist from a controller or remote).

Tommy McClain

They might want to price the stand alone kinect higher than a bundle to get many people to ditch older hardware.

Not for nothing but i don't see a reason to buy a slim 360 vs my 60 gig 360. I bet many feel the same way but for MS it be the cheapest way to get ride of RROD problems.

I read somewhere that MS did show Milo behind closed doors to celebs only. Are they going to make an AI movie, or train Milo on celebs info ? It's like building up his general knowledge on pop culture. At the same time, collect PR and advertising $$$ from the entertainment industry. :devilish:

Microsoft has said they'll replace the Arcade with a $200 SKU. Is it possible they could do that with a 360S, but no hard drive, WiFi, wireless controller or wired headset? Could that be enough to offset the cost of Kinect? You could then just use Kinect for the interface. It would be nice to see if you could completely control the Xbox from boot to Kinect Hub with just gestures(no assist from a controller or remote).

Tommy McClain

That's an interesting thought. It would be easy enough to not include WiFi and the other stuff if needed.

I'm not sure even with those features removed, that you could get the base hardware cheap enough that a bundle with Kinect would be financially viable at 200 USD without it being a loss leader. 249 USD for an "Arcade" Natal system might be doable.

Regards,
SB

If Kinect works at all, I'll get it. I already make plenty of vile hand gestures at the TV during gaming. Might as well get some use out of it.

Kinect seems to have been better received by the Amazon.com crowd. Since both Move and Kinect pre-order availability, on the same day I think, Kinect has been doing much better at Amazon. The last couple of days, Kinect has ranked 2nd on Video game sales while the Move bundle has hovered at 21st-22nd.

Amazon sales rank don't mean that much, but it's an interesting post-E3 snapshot.

I actually see reports about Kinect in various french serious news paper. They managed to get some attention from non gaming media.

OK I let sink in me the various conf, hand-on, reports etc. My feel is that Ms has a winner at hand if they don't manage to sell a bunch of it, there are useless and should give on the console market all together...

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually see reports about Kinect in various french serious news paper. They managed to get some attention from non gaming media.

From what I hear, kinect was all over the TV back home in New Zealand. But then again, nothing happens in NZ so any news gets lots of coverage :mrgreen:

Kinect to me seems to be more expensive in the short term but will become cheaper in the long term.

I bought a launch wii and it was $250 came with a set of controlers. However for multiplayer i had to spend $60 per extra person and for 4 player party games like mario we quickly spent $180 more dollars for that privlage. Now we have to start buying motion pluses for those controlers i'm out another $100 bucks.

Move is the same thing. THe intial bundle of $100 is cheaper than natal. However thats for one set up. You'll need 3 more $50 controllers. You might also want the $30 nav control.

Then natal doesn't need batterys and since I'm not actually physicly touching it the wear and tear on the unit will be much lower than a controller.

Still the $150 is expensive and not many games for it interest me . I have it reserved but buying it depends on the functions it provides with fable.

Updated the first post with my live summary of the event for convenient reference. Let me know if I missed something.

Microsoft ... the one company more intent on killing PC gaming than any other ...

IIRC, Microsoft didn't say that it is exclusive to the 360. They pretty much just said that it's not coming out at launch on PS3/Wii. Mattrick said "all the games from this point on in the conference are Xbox exclusive" and then showed Fable III. So, Xbox exclusive to M$ != not coming out on PC. It's a stretch though. God knows how many bags of money they've spent on that deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back