Official E3 Microsoft Conference Thread 2010

Yes. Broadness is needed to reach a broad market. XB360 is gaining a whole extra branch of content and appeal, and it's just as valid to show this at E3 where people are seeing what the future holds for gaming as it is to show conventional stuff. Plus marketing is about getting your message in as many places as possible. If MS chose E3 and no other marketing avenues, I'd concur that was a mistake, but they are communicating to the existing XB360 user base and other media-savvy gamers all about Kinect, while they'll chase down other demographics through other means.

They have the right to do whatever they want, but then we should call it like it is, and not use the copout Nintendo defense of 'well, it's not for us, let's not judge'. Instead, be honest: 'I don't like what's being offered, I didn't like what was shown'.

I caught a bit of the UI in the media demonstration, ...

Right. I guess I'm just interested to see if they'll make it... not suck. Flipping through lists is what I was mainly going for, but sure that's adequate on controller. Anyways, it's just a novelty to me. :p

Actually, I guess I've brought it up in one of the earlier natal threads, but if they can get the response/detection good enough, it'd be fun to see RTS games supporting the peripheral. Like... I don't know. Off the top of my head... detect one arm, move the other arm to make the selection box for units. Zoom in and out of the battlefield using both arms (like the iPhone). *shrug*

I'll never get an RTS on console

Actually, I guess I've brought it up in one of the earlier natal threads, but if they can get the response/detection good enough, it'd be fun to see RTS games supporting the peripheral. Like... I don't know. Off the top of my head... detect one arm, move the other arm to make the selection box for units....
Suddenly I'm thinking of a flight sim only where you're the landing crew! ;)
I'll never get an RTS on console
I used to be very big on those. I'm sure something classy could be created with Kinect where you control the forces genreal-style, moving pieces across a battlefield or somesuch.

Suddenly I'm thinking of a flight sim only where you're the landing crew! ;)
I used to be very big on those. I'm sure something classy could be created with Kinect where you control the forces genreal-style, moving pieces across a battlefield or somesuch.

I never played End War, but a friend at work said you could do a lot of stuff with voice commands. I think Natal might be suited for that, where you can use a lot of voice commands to help out in situations where maybe the motion sensing lacks the required precision. It would be interesting to see how End War works. He said he had a lot of fun with it.

I never played End War, but a friend at work said you could do a lot of stuff with voice commands. I think Natal might be suited for that, where you can use a lot of voice commands to help out in situations where maybe the motion sensing lacks the required precision. It would be interesting to see how End War works. He said he had a lot of fun with it.

I second your friends impressions of EndWar. For a first release the game IMHO was fantastic online and still is today. I was looking forward to Ubi demoing EndWar using Kinetc but apparently that did not happen }:(

I hope EndWar2 is still in production and they decide to use Kinetc. It really is the perfect game for it.

Well, I would say the game from Kojima surprised most everyone no??
And what about the Forza stuff?
I was also quite impressed with the Kenectimals game, with the pet tiger. And some of the other titles, ie water rafting, showed some definite originality.
I think you're being far too harsh by writing everything off as a wii-clone, you're way off the mark.

To me this is pretty simple. Does it look good for gaming? No, not for me. I'm a 'hardcore' gamer, so I'm gonna continue to play with a controller. My wife and son might like this, but it's clearly not targeted at me. Fine.

That doesn't mean it doesn't ave value though. The UI alone is enough to make an hardcore tech-head drool. So, hardcore gamers will probably still buy it because it's awesome...and I think there's a ton of potential among casuals if MS plays it's cards right.

With all that said, I don't think MS can produce the software, or marketing campaign, to make it work, but we'll see. They are off to a good start so far, I'll give them that.

p.s. Make this work with GoogleTV and I am freakin SOLD!

25275.jpg

have you ever seen an 8 year old play make believe? trust me, they will and do act just like that when given an opportunity to imagine it being real as that appears.
I've seen actors do all kinds of crazy shit for money. The moment she left the stage, she probably lit up a cig and kicked her manager in the nuts for getting her involved in this.

Also is there an official clip mechanism for Kinect? Move demo's have shown a PSEye sellotaped to the top of the TV! These devices need proper ways to partner them up with wall-mounted screens.

We're both in luck now. Mad Catz and Performance Designed Products(PDP) are now making Kinect accessories. PDP has some good quality stuff. They make the Engergizer branded game accessories now. Back when they were formerly Pelican Accessories I wouldn't have even considered them.

Mad Catz Base Adapter (MSRP: $14.99)
For gamers without the free space to mount the Kinect camera unit, this base adapter fits securely to the bottom of the camera unit, and allows connection to any standard tripod. This freestanding solution gives you a simple yet effective setup for your game play.

Mad Catz Floor Stand (MSRP: $29.99)
If you want to skip setting up or purchasing a tripod, the Mad Catz Floor Stand is a solid way to go. This includes a weighted base, a 2.5-foot central mounting pole and an already built-in base adapter. This is the all-in-one solution for those without a ready placement for the Kinect.

Mad Catz Flat Panel Mounting Bracket (MSRP: $49.99)
An ideal solution for those with flat panel televisions, this mounting bracket lets you safely mount the camera unit to either the top or bottom of your television utilizing standard screw holes and wall-mounts. Featuring a solid metal construction and adjustable design, this mounting bracket should be compatible with most models and sizes of flat panel TVs.

Wall and TV Mounts, and Stand from PDP
Performance Designed Products has also just announced they will be offering a series of accessories for the Kinect. These products will include a wall mount, a TV mount and an extendable stand. Pricing and info for these accessories will be released at a later date.
kinect-20100616042534540-000.jpg
kinect-20100616042530728-000.jpg

http://gear.ign.com/articles/109/1098980p1.html

The guy I know at GameStop pretty much confirmed some of these accessories, but he also told me that there will be an extension cable and a portable case. Since neither Mad Catz or PDP announced those, they might be official Microsoft accessories. Either way it looks like there will be plenty of stuff to add to Kinect to work in your home. LOL

Tommy McClain

Yeesh, if MS gets licensing fees from these (they'd be stupid not to), then there's some huge potential here to print money if Natal is a success.

Regards,
SB

Good, but expensive! An extra third on the price for a TV mount. Reminds me of the £500 1080p native complex HDTVs, £600 simple glass stand for it, deals that you can get.

Back