Wholly unique/special ways to play in the next gen! Surprises inside

I heard on the Player One podcast that one of the guys was playing NBA 2k14 with his PS Eye hooked up, and he was given a faul. He cussed (in real life), and it seems the camera picked that up and gave him a technical :D (or something like that, I don't know much about the sport)

That's asking for trouble! Without Kinect position audio to the player, someone could come into the room cursing and generate fouls. You'd then swear at them to shut up and be sent off the court!

@Arwin
Now those are game-enhancing features!

@Shifty Geezer:
Both the PS3 PS Eye and the PS4 equivalent have a microphone array consisting of 4 mics. So in theory it should be able to discern position as well

tumblr_mvx76yTQZG1t0cilxo5_1280.jpg

What could potentially help further is that they already know the position of the player thanks to being able to track the Move controller quite well. And of course they could support this feature using the headset as an input (as they also seem to be doing for voice commands).

Are two of the mics facing the back of the PS Eye 2? If so, that could be interesting, would that help determine spatial positioning/echo cancellation/direction?

@Shifty Geezer:
Both the PS3 PS Eye and the PS4 equivalent have a microphone array consisting of 4 mics. So in theory it should be able to discern position as well
A mic array enables sound isolation, so extraction of the voice from ambient and other voices. However, it needs to know player position to know which part of the sound stream to isolate. As Arwin says, though, controller would be enough for that. The camera can get position of the controller and extract audio from that direction. I don't know how narrow or wide the band of a sound isolation system can be though.

That's asking for trouble! Without Kinect position audio to the player, someone could come into the room cursing and generate fouls. You'd then swear at them to shut up and be sent off the court!
mwhahhahahahah, this one certainly made me laugh, it is so fun!!, people just got a big mouth indeed.

Something similar happens in Dead Rising 3, stealth works, but some sounds are not interpreted well if there are people around and the zombies might find you because of that.

Btw, I couldn't resist.

Mod: Then try harder next time. Random photos aren't the B3D way.

Eurogamer's staff plays Angry Birds Star Wars on the Xbox One. They are only using one of their hands to play, no controllers, nothing, only one of their hands. :smile2:

I am still waiting for a RPG -a la Skyrim- where you can wink at merchants to get better deals.

High tech motion sensors and Occulus Rift.

Occulus Rift is enough for me, now that's how I can understand the appeal of Kinect even more easily.

Eurogamer's staff plays Angry Birds Star Wars on the Xbox One. They are only using one of their hands to play, no controllers, nothing, only one of their hands. :smile2:

I am still waiting for a RPG -a la Skyrim- where you can wink at merchants to get better deals.

I can do that on my phone and the game didn't cost me $40 ;)

High tech motion sensors and Occulus Rift.

Occulus Rift is enough for me, now that's how I can understand the appeal of Kinect even more easily.

That looks cool but a bit over complex. I agree that a Kinect like solution would be more appropriate with just say a pair of wireless gloves to detect very fine hand movement (and of course the OR headset already does that for head movement).

Kinect 2 should be sufficient for the rest of the body without having to look like a Borg drone.

Back