First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Titanio, Jul 10, 2007.

1. betan

Veteran

I agree both the pack and the mask look very good, but don't think it is more difficult than human face.
    I was particularly referring to edges of fabric clothing where bump-mapping fails (in any game).

What rules? No comparison?

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yes it seems more like a shadow, see this image which is brighter.
    http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6396/killzone2screenshot1bx3.jpg

3. jayco

Veteran Regular

neogaf.

4. avaya

Regular

First impressions are everything.

Those who want the box at their preferred price point are not blind to developments today. They are attaching a stigma to it that they will find very hard to shake off. The price point is fixable, destroying what your brand stands for is not.

I would posit that they shouldn't be spending this sort of money on KillZone (rumoured to have an astronomical budget) but instead spending it on trying to obtain some 3rd party exclusives of known franchises, you know like their competitors have been doing. I don't agree with their biased first-party strategy at all, I think it's total suicide.

But yeah I don't wanna derail the thread, so back on topic

I don't think you can tell much from this screenshot of one model against a wall. The game should be judged by how it looks in motion.

5. _phil_

Veteran

If the light source is actually the bullet ,it's quite very promising ,i'd say.

6. Titanio

Legend

Comparison threads were never allowed, but the mods are tightening up generally for E3:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/announcement.php?f=35

They specify platform and screenshot comparisons, but it may apply more generally than that..just saying to be aware.

7. jayco

Veteran Regular

A New hope.

8. DJ12

Veteran

Also, where is all the light coming from if it's a reflection.

9. CEO

CEO
    Newcomer

1^WORD. Scripted.

10. betan

Veteran

That question remains.
    If the left shoulder of Heighast guy is casting visible shadow on the wall (as in Nebula's illustration), the light source should be in front of the camera very close to the guy.

I think it may be gun fire, but still weird since I don't see any other effect.

11. Gradthrawn

Veteran

Looks to me like its the flashlight under the player's gun.

12. _phil_

Veteran

not gun fire.The bullet emits light

13. Titanio

Legend

I think the orange thingy probably is a bullet decal, or bullet decal in transition - the shot was apparently taken just after a bullet hit the wall on the left - but I doubt it's the (dominant) light source in the scene, if one at all. The GDC demo apparently featured some structures being riddled with bullet holes, and light pouring in through them from outside, but it wasn't explicit as to whether those light shafts actually affected the dynamic lighting of the scene or not. It would be sweet if they did, but that might be a tech-whore fantasist interpretation of what was described of the GDC demo.

edit - here's the dev from the playstation boards on the light source in the room:

14. Gollum

Veteran

I'm reserving judgement until more media is available, but considering what Sony "promised" at E3 2 years ago, this screenshot is quite underwhelming. Wait and see I guess...

15. Qroach

Veteran

The only thing I don't like in that picture is the low res texturing on everything. I need to see more to judge it better. This as it stands can't be compared with those 3D screen shots bungie released the other day. For now we need more screens of this game to compare to...

16. chachi

Newcomer

That makes the most sense. Doesn't explain the weird helmet lighting on the baddie but that's undoubtedly creative license. :)

Weird that they'd show off a "pre-pre-alpha" tonight since this is pretty much a make or break title for the PS3 given the amount of hysteria the rendered trailer generated, but I'm sure it'll look better in motion where you can't pick apart the flaws as easily. I think instead of the cataclysmic meltdown that everyone predicted we'll probably see the various camps taking away what they want from the presentation.

17. betan

Veteran

That's what I thought at first. The shadow of the right side of the guy is consistent with flashlight under the gun or around the belt but left side's shadow is very big for that (if it is indeed shadow).
    Also there is the darkness behind legs.

18. inefficient

Veteran

They are only showing it tonight because USA Today broken the embargo and released a tiny low quality version of this scene. Releasing the full size version of the image was just damage control.

Tomorrow the full batch of screen shots as well as other media should be publicly released.

Maybe this was the least violent shot or the only one out of the batch that USA Today could actually use.

#78 inefficient, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  19. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I am very shure that it is a shadow, look at the image below and the red rings. See how wallmarks goes into the shaded wallpart.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/killzone2screenRedRings.jpg

According to the dev it is from the latest build which still is pre-pre-alpha!

#79 Neb, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  20. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

So how many hours later will we see the real content?