First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

They must certainly think it is very special anyway, considering there's a special Killzone 2 presentation planned tomorrow right after a certain other company's keynote.

As for the quoted part, is there any other FPS game with realtime weather change + destructible environment, single-player or multi-player?

Looks good. I can live with a low res shadow if the lighting effects and overall image quality is brilliant.

If its got the interactivity and the atmosphere of the trailer I d be impressed.

Btw although the image is small, the detail on the helghast is mighty impressive

It was long time ago, but I dont recall destrucable enviroment in NOFL2... At least not in the "next gen" kinda of destrucion.

is there any chance that this pic was taken from GDC ?

The Killzone dev says the screenshot is fresh (click text for link).
KILLZONE: motherh (dev) said:
Yup, its real. A bit early, but its real. Not photoshopped, in-game etc. 100% real. Shame about the size. They could have linked to a better, less squished size.

EDIT: When I say "early" I mean, "released early in the day", and not "an early build". The screenshots were taken on the latest version of the game as it was on Saturday.

SP image confirmed.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=messhall&thread.id=30537&page=4

motherh
Dev Team

Message 35 of 36
Viewed 87 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jayco wrote:

Multiplayer or SinglePlayer?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the Single player.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

It's funny to me how Killzone has become such a huge deal. The rival to Halo.

What it really shows is how FPS have taken over on consoles, as they did on PC a long time ago.

Well, non-nintendo consoles, right? Or as we might call them, hardcore niche consoles nowdays :smile:

Looks good. I can live with a low res shadow if the lighting effects and overall image quality is brilliant.

Better to have low-res shadows and improve other aspects as lighting and effects. Shadows are really nothing one is focusing with the eyes all the time, it is only to build up the game atmosphere. :smile:

It was long time ago, but I dont recall destrucable enviroment in NOFL2... At least not in the "next gen" kinda of destrucion.

The new Battlefield game (Bad Company) will have destructible environments but I dont know about the weather/day-time cycle (if the game has it or not). Otherwise Crysis for both criterias as far as I know. And CoH has also fully destructible environments but no time-cycle.

Nothing that builds up the atmosphere like waiting in a sniper pocket for hours deep into the night to take out the last enemies!

Better to have low-res shadows and improve other aspects as lighting and effects. Shadows are really nothing one is focusing with the eyes all the time, it is only to build up the game atmosphere. :smile:

Yep totally agree :smile:

What it really shows is how FPS have taken over on consoles, as they did on PC a long time ago.

Well, non-nntendo consoles, right? Or as we might call them, hardcore niche consoles nowdays :smile:

That is only because hardcore gamers love FPS games.

High end PC gaming is a hardcore past time. And the first 2 years or so of a console's life the machine is mostly owned by hardcore gamers.

You'll realize just how hardcore it is if you have ever tried to put a friend who does not play games in front of an FPS game.

What it really shows is how FPS have taken over on consoles in North America, as they did on PC a long time ago.

Well, non-nntendo consoles, right? Or as we might call them, hardcore niche consoles nowdays :smile:

This is also one of the reason's why both of these consoles are getting trounced by Wii. FPS is not a genre that appeals to all people, it is a very focused adult male demographic. Moreover by promoting FPS games above all others you stigmatise your console.

PS3's biggest game is still Gran Turismo 5, by far.

It still astounds me that Sony have chosen to spend so much on an FPS, but then again they have been plagued by tunnel-vision for some time now.

It still astounds me that Sony have chosen to spend so much on an FPS, but then again they have been plagued by tunnel-vision for some time now.

That would be true if they were only spending on Killzone, perhaps ;)

Some of the freshest looking original IP is coming from Sony. I'm not sure you can charge them with tunnel vision when that 'tunnel vision' encompasses everything from GT to Killzone to LittleBigPlanet to Heavenly Sword to Singstar etc. It seems like a pretty broad vision to me.

Anyway, this isn't really about Killzone. Let's not derail the thread on its second page.

This is also one of the reason's why both of these consoles are getting trounced by Wii. FPS is not a genre that appeals to all people, it is a very focused adult male demographic. Moreover by promoting FPS games above all others you stigmatise your console.

PS3's biggest game is still Gran Turismo 5, by far.

You don not make a game for casuals when your box costs $600. Simple as that.

They know exactly who their market is.

Back