Final Fantasy XIII announced for PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mefisutoferesu said:
Also, I just realized it's been a very looong time since S-E did their rendering inhouse. After the Spirts within disaster they've had to farm out most of it. Wonder what this means, economically for S-E.
What do you mean?

FF always use fixed camera system so you can always show a more details but anyway it look too GOOD just insane GOOD!

I should know better than to get involved in the "realtime vs CGI"-battles, but just to clarify what I can see from the FFXIII footage:

* Battle scene (with GUI elements) and forest zoom looks realtime
* Everything else CGI

This is what is commonly agreed upon, or?
Because it seems like some believe that everything is realtime, which I highly doubt.

The very beginning and ending sequences (with the train) = CGI

Middle portion: battles and forest = realtime...

This is what you said, and I think what everyone agrees on. I don't think anyone is suggesting the outside train sequences are realtime, though to be honest, the realtime stuff holds up quite well against it.

Serenity Painted Death said:

This is what you said, and I think what everyone agrees on. I don't think anyone is suggesting the outside train sequences are realtime, though to be honest, the realtime stuff holds up quite well against it.

good analysis and i must agreed, i think this next-gen will make the gap between what is real time and what is CG a tad closer to each other.

Maybe. But also, they may be using a more advanced cut-scene engine, so the cut-scenes are not CGI, but not 'in game' either, but are realtime. Given what was accomplished in the FFVII demo in 2 months, better would be possible by now, no?

But I haven't seen HD footage/screenies yet, so maybe the IQ of the cutscenes exhibits so much AA that is has to be offline?

The portion with the HUD is clearly gameplay. The forest stroll section is definitely a "cutscene" and I do think it looks a little better than the gameplay, but again, they both look incredible... you really should check out the video and just pay attention to her hair during the battle sequences :oops:

You can even see the list of moves on the left being circled through and the chosen actions loading up on the central portion of the HUD with the ATB meter below it... then as the action goes on, the character performs the moves in sequence... seems very fast paced and makes for a nice cinematic presentation (also, when she clashes her sword with the enemy, the ATB meter takes a jump... it seems to fill up as you go, rather than wind down)

The portion with the HUD is clearly gameplay. The forest stroll section is definitely a "cutscene" and I do think it looks a little better than the gameplay, but again, they both look incredible... you really should check out the video and just pay attention to her hair during the battle sequences :oops:

You can even see the list of moves on the left being circled through and the chosen actions loading up on the central portion of the HUD with the ATB meter below it... then as the action goes on, the character performs the moves in sequence... seems very fast paced and makes for a nice cinematic presentation (also, when she clashes her sword with the enemy, the ATB meter takes a jump... it seems to fill up as you go, rather than wind down)

I'm actually hoping that forrest sequence was gameplay realtime, perhaps comparable to what you see mostly in Final Fantasy X when walking around. It's hard to compare it to the fighting sequence, especially since the character moves so fast and fluid and it's hard to get those details that are very well visible in the forrest footage later on. Even so, the hair animation is incredible, as is the rest of the footage shown. I highly recommend the HD footage if you can find it...

Oh and the girl is bloody hot too... :oops:

Yea, she is hot. Nomura's best design ever...

I really don't do the "omg, virtual chick is hot" routine... but I'm rather fond of this one... I'm just totally digging the design.

Yea, she is hot. Nomura's best design ever...

I really don't do the "omg, virtual chick is hot" routine... but I'm rather fond of this one... I'm just totally digging the design.

i rather dig her if that is possible. lol.

Character model on the train upside down
ffxiiionthetrain8pu.jpg

Character model during the fight scene upside down
ffxiiifightscene4fk.jpg

Looks very close. And to think this game will probably come out in 2007. Graphics in games are coming a long way to being very close to FFX CGI.

It looks very close on really crappy low-res shots, that's for sure.

We can't see the differences in shading because the shots are so low-res (you can only see that the skin looks a bit nicer on the CGI shot, but they're just too crappy to notice details...), but still the most noticeable difference is that on the CGI shot, you can see that her hair moves properly and falls down while she's upside down, while in the realtime shot there is very little "hair physics" going on, since her hair looks like it's stuck to her head and doesn't "fall down" while she's upside down. In motion, the CGI will look a lot better simply because the animation will really shine, compared to the realtime footage.

Still, the game looks absolutely amazing, just thought a reality check was needed.

NVNDA said:
As much as I want to be a PS3 ******, I'm going to say these are target renders with a hud slapped on top. i just can't see a 7800 being able to render all of that in motion with those amazing reflections. Unfortunately, PS3 images should look just like x360 images.

Wow so I wonder how NVNDA feels now.:LOL: Those reflections were real-time too. And what's up with the "PS3 images should look just like x360 images?" Well who knows what he meant, what we do know is these reflections are real-time. :D

final-fantasy-xiii-20060508032944059.jpg

Now now mckmas, gloating's not nice you know...
I mean, I could go on and on quoting my dispute with Laa-Yosh, but that wouldn't accomplish much would it? :p

Anyway, currently I want no file more than a direct-feed HD version of this trailer. Anybody have any news on that front?

PeterT said:
Now now mckmas, gloating's not nice you know...
Anyway, currently I want no file more than a direct-feed HD version of this trailer. Anybody have any news on that front?

I've got Gamespots HD footage if you want? Though you'll have to give me about a hour to upload :)

Both of these screen caps i took from that HD footage (tried to match them with mckmas's pics as these are a tad bit better quality)

FFXIII-CG.jpg

FFXIII-RT1.jpg

I've got Gamespots HD footage if you want? Though you'll have to give me about a hour to upload

and can you not uploaded at Megaupload that site suck, always get download exceeded even though i dont download from it. But thanks alot if you upload it.

Stillmatic said:
I've got Gamespots HD footage if you want? Though you'll have to give me about a hour to upload :)

Im looking at Gamespots FFXIII page (im a member) but it doesnt have any video listed. Can you link me where you found it?

dantruon said:
and can you not uploaded at Megaupload that site suck, always get download exceeded even though i dont download from it. But thanks alot if you upload it.

Already started uploading there :LOL:

What are some 'good' places to upload to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back