All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, i don't understand why a core gamer would buy a X instead of a PC... unless money is the problem or they prefer the console universe.

Really, it's not to start a fanboy thing, but just to stick to cold facts : Sony has more exclusives and they are more diversivied.

All X exclusives can be played on PC. But MS still wins anyway since PC = Windows.

GPU and memory pricing suck right now and have been even worse for several months with frequent periods of zero availability of anything over the most basic of GPUs. There's actually a better case now, from a value standpoint, for the One X than there would be in a more normal retail environment.

GPU and memory pricing suck right now and have been even worse for several months with frequent periods of zero availability of anything over the most basic of GPUs. There's actually a better case now, from a value standpoint, for the One X than there would be in a more normal retail environment.

Yes, a surprisingly common refrain in ResetEra was that the Xbox X was getting substitution sales from people who dont want to pay exorbitant current GPU prices. I am sure the same could apply to PS4 Pro to a lesser extent since since it's less powerful.

Personally I dont quiet see it, I've never thought PC and consoles are direct substitutes (which is why I think MS exclusives being also on Windows has almost no practical negative effect on Xbox in the console space, despite claims). I dont think this occurs a ton. If I wanted PC gaming, I'd rather even have a low end card like a 1050 Ti than a extremely powerful console!

However are there people in the world who were looking at a high end PC and decided on an Xbox One X instead? Well, I'm sure there is at least one.

Are we sure? I was seeing media create Japan sales the other day, week 13 2018, PS4 Pro 7.868, PS4 17,457

That is a lot of Pro's in a market that is known to care little about hardware power supposedly. About 31% Pro share. Unless there was some other factor at play (bundles or shortages etc) I wonder if the rest of the world is trending to Pro as well.

IMO the iterative versions will take larger share as time goes on not less, since power wins out in the long run, even power who's every advantage has been dulled.
I didn't necessarily say that their shares will decrease, but I don't see them increasing.

But yes, as long as the base system is the considerably cheaper model and is still in production, I do believe the base models will hold the majority of sales. Sure there will be some bumps for the mid-gen consoles from promos etc., but overall I don't see their shares increasing, especially when the base systems hit sub-$200 and the next gen consoles release.

It's a little different with X because there's such a large power gap, and MS seem to really be pushing it. I see X having a higher share than Pro, but not by much due to the price difference.

As for Japan, one week of sales isn't a good way to judge market trends. HW sales in Japan seem to be the most influenced by software/promos compared to any other country.

The probable reason for the relatively high Pro share recently is probably because there has been some PS4 Slim supply issues. PS4 Pro was as high as 50% of PS4 sales a few weeks ago.

https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/monster-hunter-boost-ps4-sell-out-japan/

Pro's share fluctuated a lot in Japan due to promotions/bundles etc., but averaged around 20% in 2017, which is inline with what Sony stated shortly after the Pro's launch over a year ago.

Also, i don't understand why a core gamer would buy a X instead of a PC... unless money is the problem or they prefer the console universe.

Really, it's not to start a fanboy thing, but just to stick to cold facts : Sony has more exclusives and they are more diversivied.

All X exclusives can be played on PC. But MS still wins anyway since PC = Windows.
I don't think many PC gamers are considering the X personally. Yes X is a good value considering the specs, but PC vs console are pretty different gaming experiences. Plus a lot of gamers play where their friends play.

X has it's niche though. They probably sold a few X's to people wanting the best console experience, 'stealing' a few gamers from PS4 or PC. But like I have always said, I believe that a lot of X owners are existing XB1 owners making the upgrade. Once the majority of core XB1 owners upgrade, though, I believe XB1X sales will start to drop.

Last edited:
Speaking about Japan, Western game are more and more popular

Far Cry 5 has been rather successful in its debut week Japan, as showcased by the latest Media Create charts. Yet, today we get more information about its performance, and it’s certainly positive.

Media Create posted its weekly analysis, mentioning that the game sold over 90% of its initial shipment to retail stores. This means that its 75,474 copies created a near-sellout situation. According to the firm, this is a sign of a good start.

As a matter of fact, this may have resulted in many potential customers not finding the game at retail, shifting their purchase to digital. In fact, this seems to be confirmed by the latest PS4 digital sales chart released by Sony about the period between March 26th to April 1st.

https://www.dualshockers.com/far-cry-5-japan/

Sorry Rangers, but:D

(and then proceeds to post numbers that say actually yes most ppl are buying base systems)

"Most people" could be 50%+1, until one day it's 50%-1, and then it's no longer most people. Of course they will when the base system is much cheaper. My contention is the more powerful systems tend to gain traction over time. I expect that is going on right now with both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

31% Pro share that week in Japan is quite astonishing given it's a market that is alleged to care little for hardware power, and I cant see any other reason you'd want a Pro. But I need to look a little deeper at Japan sales, because 1 week doesn't mean much.

"Most people" could be 50%+1, until one day it's 50%-1, and then it's no longer most people. Of course they will when the base system is much cheaper. My contention is the more powerful systems tend to gain traction over time. I expect that is going on right now with both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

31% Pro share that week in Japan is quite astonishing given it's a market that is alleged to care little for hardware power, and I cant see any other reason you'd want a Pro. But I need to look a little deeper at Japan sales, because 1 week doesn't mean much.
But I have already explained why there was an unusually high Pro share. There have been PS4 Slim shortages since early March in Japan. That's why the PS4 has been selling less than expected, but Pro share is higher than usual. Just 5 weeks prior to the week you posted, PS4 Pro share was just 15%, 2 weeks later it was as high as 50%, and most recently it's at 31% as you said.

Again, regardless... HW sales in Japan are perhaps the most influenced by promos/software/bundles compared to any other country, so a few weeks of sales is never a good indication of market trends. PS4 Pro share was up and down all of 2017 but averaged around 20%, which is exactly what Sony claimed shortly after the launch of the Pro.

Last edited:
But I have already explained why there was an unusually high Pro share. There have been PS4 Slim shortages since early March in Japan. That's why the PS4 has been selling less than expected, but Pro share is higher than usual. Just 5 weeks prior to the week you posted, PS4 Pro share was just 15%, 2 weeks later it was as high as 50%, and most recently it's at 31% as you said.

Again, regardless... HW sales in Japan are perhaps the most influenced by promos/software/bundles compared to any other country, so a few weeks of sales is never a good indication of market trends. PS4 Pro share was up and down all of 2017 but averaged around 20%, which is exactly what Sony claimed shortly after the launch of the Pro.

Well Pro share was ~17% in 2017 and ~23% so far in 2018. So, it's increasing. Over a long enough time "shortages" or "bundles" is a dubious explanation. I'm not on the ground in Japan so I'll never be able to say if those explanations are true or not.

Anyways as already stated I dont put too much about Japan since that is the market that cares least about horsepower anyway. The fact that Pro is increasing even there says a lot.

Sony hasn't updated the 20% figure in a while.

Last edited:
Well Pro share was ~17% in 2017 and ~23% so far in 2018. So, it's increasing. Over a long enough time "shortages" or "bundles" is a dubious explanation. I'm not on the ground in Japan so I'll never be able to say if those explanations are true or not.

Anyways as already stated I dont put too much about Japan since that is the market that cares least about horsepower anyway. The fact that Pro is increasing even there says a lot.

Sony hasn't updated the 20% figure in a while.
Cmon Rangers, you should know your numbers. :)

Pro's share was 22.9% in all of 2017, not 17%.

Pro sold 409,495, PS4 sold 1,382,241 (1,791,736 combined).

Source (take note of the YTD column): https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-52-2017-dec-25-dec-31.14650/

So you've basically helped prove my point... 2018 so far is consistent with 2017, and more or less consistent with what Sony said back in 2016. 20-25% of PS4 sales might be a good ballpark number to use when judging Pro sales.

Once the PS4 drops to 199 and PS5 is around the corner, Pro (and X) will have a hard time competing. Do you honestly still think these mid-gen console shares will rise? I don't.

Last edited:
Oh whoops, I must have not realized I was comparing "year to date" columns.

Which still means Pro sales are up over the same period last year :p

PS4 199, well people have been predicting that for about 50 years. It's going slow, and there are evidently RAM shortages in the world.

PS4 is a little different, both because the performance delta is not as large and because the base PS4 is much more competent technically. STILL, STILL, I expect Pro to keep increasing share!

Anecdotally both the real life PS4 buyers I know recently, who joined late, opted for the Pro.

Once the PS4 drops to 199 and PS5 is around the corner, Pro (and X) will have a hard time competing. Do you honestly still think these mid-gen console shares will rise? I don't.
I imagine there will be some correlation to 4K TV sales, thus I expect the % share of the mid-gen units to go up over time as 1080p TV units begin to fall off. How much I'm unsure

I imagine there will be some correlation to 4K TV sales, thus I expect the % share of the mid-gen units to go up over time as 1080p TV units begin to fall off. How much I'm unsure
IMO 199 will trump any demand 4k tvs creates considering the type of people that I believe are buying consoles this late in the gen. Plus there's not a lot of time left before ps5 releases, then the market for pro and x lessens (more so for pro).

Just my 0.02. We may never know how things shake up, though, as neither company releases this info. Only source of info comes out of Japan.

PS4 199, well people have been predicting that for about 50 years. It's going slow, and there are evidently RAM shortages in the world.
I still think it will happen eventually, probably not this year though.

PS4 is a little different, both because the performance delta is not as large and because the base PS4 is much more competent technically.
Yeah I've always agreed there. But X had a more successful launch because of this. I feel that X will be more frontloaded than Pro and sales are just starting to approach its baseline here in April.

Last edited:
The figures could already include microtransactions. 90 million x $60 equals to $5.4 billion. The other $600 million could be trough Sharkcards.

Both are impressive.
Wow is still the beast though. I don’t think anyone counts how many paid expansions people keep buying either. Are they at 8 now?
It’s ludacris. It’s good thing they never bothered to try to make Titan. Switching to Overwatch was perfect, there is no stopping world of Warcraft. Few MMOs last this long and stay this successful.

It’s ludacris.

ludacris-004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back