All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

They just released on Steam and wanted to show how successful its been in just 1 week with the high concurrent steam user counts.
Is it known what is included in the 8m number? If the game had sold 7.5m on Switch by October and three months later, having been released on Steam, it's now sold 8m, does that include the first week sales on Steam? How many of the half-million sales were Switch sales since October? The game was on sale on the eStore over Christmas in some markets.

Sometimes numbers aren't helpful. :nope:

UK annual sales report released. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...soles-sold-in-the-uk-in-2021-uk-annual-report

The No.1 console in the UK was Nintendo Switch, which overtook PlayStation 5 in the final weeks of the year.

Xbox Series consoles were the third biggest platform group. The Series X variety accounted for 43% of all the Xbox Series consoles sold over the year, a figure that varied wildly over the weeks of 2021. For example, during the third quarter of the year (July - September) Series X was just 24% of the total sales, while in the final quarter (October - December), the X variety outsold the S (GfK figures).

So first of all I need to update my priors that the vast majority of Xbox consoles shipping are the X. Clearly it's shifted.

That said I still dont think this is good news for the S. I am guessing MS had to begin shipping more Series X in the 4th quarter or face a sales disaster.

Snippets from the Xbox post @ https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

We also announced today that Game Pass now has more than 25 million subscribers.
I knew when Silent Buddah claimed they passed 30 million back in september and officially 23 million back in april that it was bogus.

So up from 18 million Jan 2021,
which makes a gain of 7 million in a year, personally not that Impressive, esp when they just released 2 of their biggest titles, very curious to see their next financial statement.
I would think it would be more than 7 million, whats the hold out for ppl?, if I played games I would have it as its a good deal, Are they not advertising it enough?
I rarely see ads on the internet for it (maybe thats just me), perhaps they need to make it more visible
though windows 10 pops up occasionally with something like gamepass has been updated try it out when I boot windows sometimes, its the only thing I've seen them push on windows.
MS are actually quite good not trying to push stuff.

Halo Infinite doing well on Xbox and PC

"US NPD SW - Halo: Infinite debuted as the #2 best-selling game of December 2021.
Halo: Infinite ranked as the December's best-selling game on Xbox platforms, while also leading sales among tracked titles on PC."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-games-spending-at-usd60-4bn-us-annual-report
Here's the 2021 top 20 games (physical and digital) ranked on dollar sales, data courtesy of NPD:

Position Title
1 Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
2 Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
3 Madden NFL 22 (EA)
4 Pokemon: Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl* (Nintendo)
5 Battlefield 2042 (EA)
6 Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
7 Mario Kart 8* (Nintendo)
8 Resident Evil: Village (Capcom)
9 MLB: The Show 21^ (Sony)
10 Super Mario 3D World* (Nintendo)
11 Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
12 FIFA 22 (EA)
13 Minecraft (Microsoft)
14 Animal Crossing: New Horizons* (Nintendo)
15 NBA 2K22* (2K)
16 Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (Ubisoft)
17 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate* (Nintendo)*
18 Back 4 Blood (Warner Bros)
19 Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)
20 Forza Horizon 5 (Microsoft)

No GTA5? It was #3 in the UK, I thought it was just as big in the US

I knew when Silent Buddah claimed they passed 30 million back in september and officially 23 million back in april that it was bogus.

So up from 18 million Jan 2021,
which makes a gain of 7 million in a year, personally not that Impressive, esp when they just released 2 of their biggest titles, very curious to see their next financial statement.
I would think it would be more than 7 million, whats the hold out for ppl?, if I played games I would have it as its a good deal, Are they not advertising it enough?
I rarely see ads on the internet for it (maybe thats just me), perhaps they need to make it more visible
though windows 10 pops up occasionally with something like gamepass has been updated try it out when I boot windows sometimes, its the only thing I've seen them push on windows.
MS are actually quite good not trying to push stuff.

Yeah, that one publishing guy was definitely pulling numbers out of his butt.

I disagree that increasing subscriber numbers by ~39% in a year is bad. If you look at the history of Netflix, for example, at no point did they ever come close to increasing subscriber numbers by 39% in a year. And Netflix has a significantly larger pool of consumers to pull from than Game Pass.

Number of Netflix Global Paid Streaming Subscribers by Quarter - Dazeinfo

Regards,
SB

I disagree that increasing subscriber numbers by ~39% in a year is bad. If you look at the history of Netflix, for example, at no point did they ever come close to increasing subscriber numbers by 39%.
You might wanna recheck that, netflix done more than that multiple times in a year.
Sure netflix has a larger pool of ppl to pull from but it also has far more competition, seems like every man and his dog company has a streaming service nowadays

Halo Infinite doing well on Xbox and PC

"US NPD SW - Halo: Infinite debuted as the #2 best-selling game of December 2021.
Halo: Infinite ranked as the December's best-selling game on Xbox platforms, while also leading sales among tracked titles on PC."

OK, so we now know that NPD will make an exception for Halo: Infinite and count the campaign DLC for its rankings.

Also, best selling title on Xbox and PC despite it being on Game Pass. Enough to make it the #2 best selling title in Dec. in the US ... again while being on Game Pass.

Regards,
SB

Seems like by PS5 tying Switch in revenue it means PS5 had a better month than expected and Xbox worse. Xbox was supposed to be 2nd this month now it's at best unclear, might have been 3rd.

Edit: It's been clarified by Mat Piscatella (NPD) on twitter

Xbox #2 in Units for December 2021
PS5 #2 in Units YTD 2021

Seems like by PS5 tying Switch in revenue it means PS5 had a better month than expected and Xbox worse. Xbox was supposed to be 2nd this month now it's at best unclear, might have been 3rd.

Edit: It's been clarified by Mat Piscatella (NPD) on twitter

The ASP for Xbox consoles is lower than the ASP for PS5 consoles, so it's entirely possible for Xbox to have sold more units but generate less revenue from hardware sales.

Not saying that Xbox sold more, just that the statement doesn't mean that it didn't.

Regards,
SB

GP at 25 million already is incredible!

All the naysayers make me laugh now.

I was there at E3 when they showed the 1st Xbox and these people have been predicting failure for Xbox for 20 years. Now they are running like a Halo Grunt from the steamroller that is about to crush their negativity.

I included a page with a history of their subscriber numbers. You might want to take a look.
Regards,
SB
(link?) either your numbers are wrong (or your maths) or wiki is wrong

from wiki, netflix subscribers millions of subscribers, 36% or above
2005-2006 2.5 -> 4.0 = 60% increase
2006-2007 4.0 -> 7.3 = 82.5% increase
2009 - 2010 11.9-> 18.3 = 53.8% increase
2011-2012 21.6 -> 30.4 = 40.7% increase
2012-2013 30.4 -> 41.4 = 36.2% increase
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix

edit: OK I see your link.
Mate you do realize you are comparing netflix growth in a quarter vs gamepass growth in a year. :LOL:
In that case yes you may be correct netflix never grew as much in 3 months as gamepass managed in 12 months but thats hardly a fair comparison

Last edited:
(link?) either your numbers are wrong (or your maths) or wiki is wrong

from wiki, netflix subscribers millions of subscribers, 36% or above
2005-2006 2.5 -> 4.0 = 60% increase
2006-2007 4.0 -> 7.3 = 82.5% increase
2009 - 2010 11.9-> 18.3 = 53.8% increase
2011-2012 21.6 -> 30.4 = 40.7% increase
2012-2013 30.4 -> 41.4 = 36.2% increase
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix

edit: OK I see your link.
Mate you do realize you are comparing netflix growth in a quarter vs gamepass growth in a year. :LOL:
In that case yes you may be correct netflix never grew as much in 3 months as gamepass managed in 12 months but thats hardly a fair comparison

It's easy enough to compare based on years on the graph I linked to. Anyone can do that. :p

Also, we're talking about streaming subscriptions. Netflix didn't even start their streaming service until 2007 and it had very few subscribers compared to how many people were subscribed to their physical disk rental service.

Hence, why I specifically looked for a site that had numbers focused on their streaming service versus their rental service. Basically that graph starts roughly when physical disk rentals were so low as to be relatively meaningless.

Now, of course, you may disagree and feel that paid physical disk rental subscribers should be included, and that's fine. However, I was only looking at comparing Netflix's digital subscribers compared to Game Pass's digital subscribers.

Regards,
SB

It's easy enough to compare based on years on the graph I linked to. Anyone can do that.
OK to play your game one final time, we will take the first number and compare it with a year later
24.431 million -> 34.244 million
this makes 40.1% increase in a year, which is greater than 36%

sheesh. I give up, not worth the effort :???:

Back