All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xbox was the third console last year it was the only one to grow year to year, PS5 is by far second but lost 35% of sales due to shortage of consoles. Nintendo is number 1 but sold less Switch than in 2021. This is the European data excluding UK and Germany.

Capture_decran_2023-01-12_a_11.17.59.png

Last edited:

Xbox was the third console last year it was the only one to grow year to year, PS5 is by far second but lost 35% of sales due to shortage of consoles. Nintendo is number 1 but sold less Switch than in 2021. This is the European data excluding UK and Germany.
This is what I have being saying. They sacrificed continental Europe for US and UK markets.

Still surprising how well GTA 5 continues to sell in Europe. NA has gotten over it, but Europe just can't get enough of that gangsta action. :p

Regards,
SB

Still surprising how well GTA 5 continues to sell in Europe. NA has gotten over it, but Europe just can't get enough of that gangsta action. :p

Regards,
SB

This is the top 20 december 2022 PSN and GTA 5 is 3rd in Europe and 4th in US.

I don't know who buy the game but this is crazy for a 2013 game.:)

It's cheaper to buy the Game+MegaShark Cards than to just buy the MegaShark Cards separately, so folks buy the combo instead.

It may still be popular on PlayStation for downloads in NA, but as a whole in NA, GTA5 is non-existent anymore. It still sells, but nowhere near enough volume to get onto the top 20.

We don't yet have NPD for Dec. But while it "might" hit the top 20 for the month of December, there is virtually no chance for it hitting the top 20 for 2022 (not on the chart for 2022 through Nov.) much less number 4 as it did for Europe.

Regards,
SB

Very interesting UK study
Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass offering has proven very popular among consumers, and has redefined – and continues to shape – the games content subscription landscape, but it has not yet radically disrupted the usage dynamics of the UK console market it appears. Competing with Sony’s brand allegiance and content portfolio remains a challenge even with Microsoft’s first-party games entering Game Pass at launch

By linking this article, Do you realize what you have done here ?

By linking this article, Do you realize what you have done here ?

This is just the truth at least until now. With Bethesda games beginning to release this year with Starfield maybe it will begin to change. The problem of Xbox is not the number of studios and IP but they need to release game. ;)

EDIT:
The effect of buying Bethesda is not visible for the moment, it will not be the case anymore when Starfield, RedFall, future Arkane game like Prey, Doom, Wolfenstein and later bigger franchise like Fallout 5 and Elder Scroll 6 will release exclusively on Xbox.

Last edited:
This week's Famitsu numbers.
This one is covering a two week period from 12-26-2022 - 01-08-2023

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 142,789 (3,714,801)
PlayStation 5 – 75,296 (2,135,241)
Switch – 58,941 (19,107,282)
Switch Lite – 48,988 (5,152,682)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 9,860 (327,304)
PlayStation 4 – 4,128 (7,846,172)
Xbox Series S – 1,539 (227,523)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 419 (1,190,130)
Xbox Series X – 200 (172,611)

Graphics be expensive.

I do wonder how many AAA devs/publishers will tap out of the video game industry during this console cycle as the need to graphically compete with other AAA development houses outstrips the ability of some developers to find funding or some publishers to be able to provide funding.

Regards,
SB

Graphics be expensive.

I do wonder how many AAA devs/publishers will tap out of the video game industry during this console cycle as the need to graphically compete with other AAA development houses outstrips the ability of some developers to find funding or some publishers to be able to provide funding.

Regards,
SB
I think being their first AAA they probably didn't get the memo from every other dev house in the 7th gen. 😔

I think devs will have to come to some kind of balance. Or just be bought out by others once they hit trouble. A very dark time opponents of extreme consolidation.

The 162 millions dollars guess by analysts seems not accurate. They are a little AAA studio and the game was developed in three years. They outsource some of the job to Playstation Malaysia.

EDIT:
The effect of buying Bethesda is not visible for the moment, it will not be the case anymore when Starfield, RedFall, future Arkane game like Prey, Doom, Wolfenstein and later bigger franchise like Fallout 5 and Elder Scroll 6 will release exclusively on Xbox.
Microsoft have not made any statements on the non-Bethesda Zenimax games yet. Acquiring multiplayer IP and removing it from other consoles will go one of two ways over the long-haul:

1) non-PC gaming PlayStation and Nintendo owners might be incentivised to buy an Xbox or PC as well, or even switch from PlayStation
2) some of the now Microsoft IP released only on PC/Xbox will become irrelevant to non-PC gaming PlayStation and Nintendo owners. Much like Sony's stable of exclusives will be to some Xbox owners.

Didn't help that it came out broken on anything but PS.
So bad may have even dampened PS sales if people just thought it was broken in general.

Exactly my thoughts. I wonder how much broken state influenced sales or is it horror genre not so popular niche? I kinda doubt looking at RE success. The game received mixed reviews as well.

The 162 million dollars number is true directly from Krafton financial report. This is crazy and it is without the marketing budget. This is cray for a new ip and a survival horror game. They were believing it will have nearly the same success than a Resident Evil game.

According to Krafton's business report and quarterly report, the company paid about 196 billion won, including 5.4 billion won in 2020, 77 billion won in 2021, and 113.6 billion won from January to September last year, to the US-based subsidiary 'Striking Distance Studio' (SDS), a developer of Callisto Protocol.

Exactly my thoughts. I wonder how much broken state influenced sales or is it horror genre not so popular niche? I kinda doubt looking at RE success. The game received mixed reviews as well.

RE is an established franchise. This is pure incompetence from Krafton management. If the game was working perfectly on all platform it would have never reach this number.

Seems like IOI is doing well with Hitman series. Some interesting tidbits from the report over at InstallBase forums (text below copied from the XE forum):

Key highlights:
  • Hitman 3 overperformed against expectations in its first year
  • Hitman 3 continues to sell well in its second year so far, thanks to the releases on Steam and Game Pass
  • Revenue was higher than expected thanks to a content deal with Microsoft for Game Pass, which included a minimum guarantee and a performance bonus

Looking ahead
  • FY23 revenue expected somewhere between DKK 450m and 500m, with expected profits before tax somewhere between DKK 250m and 300m.
  • Management expects big drops in revenue and profit in FY24 and FY25, due to lack of releases.
  • IO Interactive aims to diversify its product line-up through new platforms, namely mobile gaming, and publishing opportunities for the games of other studios.

The 162 million dollars number is true directly from Krafton financial report. This is crazy and it is without the marketing budget. This is cray for a new ip and a survival horror game. They were believing it will have nearly the same success than a Resident Evil game.
I've had this opinion for a while, but when I voice it, Dead Space fans get a little upset and accuse me of being an EA simp or something. But I totally understand why the Dead Space franchise took the turn that it did. Pure survival horror isn't really blockbuster content. Sure, there have been some hits, but but by and large most of the larger franchise have either been either fazed out of existence, or have reinvented themselves into something completely different. Modern RE games, for example, have totally different gameplay than classic RE, and even different from the series reinvention in RE4. Silent Hill tried a bunch of things to stay relevant but there are 10 games in the series with a combined total of 9 Million units sold, iirc.

What I'm saying it, survival horror isn't a genre that's sales match the passion of it's fans. And the changes made to the Dead Space games were an attempt to take that franchise to a larger market. Even though those attempts failed, they were only necessary because the early games failed to find their market. And Dead Space had a multi-pronged franchise launch. IIRC they had a graphic novel, an animated movie, and the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back