All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2023 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just France though. Another piddling little irrelevant backwater market like Estonia and Albania. I suppose you'll be blaming that on a 'lack of marketing' as well!

Exactly! Why would anyone care about pile of Estonias and friends. Just in November they collectively made three times the userbase compared to our result in the country which only matters. oh wait...

Exactly! Why would anyone care about pile of Estonias and friends. Just in November they collectively made three times the userbase compared to our result in the country which only matters. oh wait...

Wait, this side thread (joke side thread?) is getting me confused, which countries are we talking about? It's certainly not US vs. X since the US alone sells (has a userbase) almost as many PS5s as the rest of the world combined.

Regards,
SB

I meant November sales of 0.58mln Xboxes sold in US vs estimates of 1.7mln Playstations in Europe. Don't underestimate power of Albania and friends:yep2:

I meant November sales of 0.58mln Xboxes sold in US vs estimates of 1.7mln Playstations in Europe. Don't underestimate power of Albania and friends:yep2:

I mean that's not terribly comparable? How many PS5's were sold in the US? That would at least give a rough ratio of US:Europe. You could then apply that to Xbox's numbers to find out how much they maybe could have sold in Europe with the same level of advertising (possible) and brand recognition (much harder to change, but obviously starts with aggressive advertising). In order to change perceived brand quality, MS would likely have to spend at least 2-4x as much as Sony spends for advertising in Europe. That's obviously part of the problem as while MS slacked off on advertising in Europe during the XBO and now XBS console generations, Sony hasn't.

However, even when MS was spending more on advertising than Sony during the X360 era, they were at best only able to get it somewhat close to PS3 sales numbers.

One problem with any analysis of how well Xbox is doing relative to PlayStation in any given region is that Microsoft and Sony are going after consumers in different and divergent ways. Sony is still all in on its console business. Microsoft is heavily attempting to diversify (with some success) away from a reliance on consoles.

That's why revenue and profits remain similar between PlayStation and Xbox yet PlayStation consoles heavily outsell Xbox consoles.

Regards,
SB

I mean that's not terribly comparable? How many PS5's were sold in the US? That would at least give a rough ratio of US:Europe. You could then apply that to Xbox's numbers to find out how much they maybe could have sold in Europe with the same level of advertising (possible) and brand recognition (much harder to change, but obviously starts with aggressive advertising). In order to change perceived brand quality, MS would likely have to spend at least 2-4x as much as Sony spends for advertising in Europe. That's obviously part of the problem as while MS slacked off on advertising in Europe during the XBO and now XBS console generations, Sony hasn't.

However, even when MS was spending more on advertising than Sony during the X360 era, they were at best only able to get it somewhat close to PS3 sales numbers.

One problem with any analysis of how well Xbox is doing relative to PlayStation in any given region is that Microsoft and Sony are going after consumers in different and divergent ways. Sony is still all in on its console business. Microsoft is heavily attempting to diversify (with some success) away from a reliance on consoles.

That's why revenue and profits remain similar between PlayStation and Xbox yet PlayStation consoles heavily outsell Xbox consoles.

Regards,
SB

The estimated number after November of PS5 sold in US is a bit more than 17 millions. Rest of the world sold at least two times more than US only.

The estimated number after November of PS5 sold in US is a bit more than 17 millions. Rest of the world sold at least two times more than US only.

Whoops, for PS5, I was looking at just Europe + Japan (~21 million) versus US (~19 million). It should be US (~19 million) vs. rest of world (~30 million). So a little over 1.5:1 for rest of world vs US (NA).

Regards,
SB

Hold on mister thats only running joke as answer to some poster insinuated how allegedly European countries don't matter. yeah they do. FWIW If we are geting off the point form console sales to lumping other things to revenues . Lately total console market size on both sides of pond are comparable. worldwide PS is leading 3;1 in recent months. Uncle Phil mentioned two times lower profits than competition in activison hearings.

Hold on mister thats only running joke as answer to some poster insinuated how allegedly European countries don't matter. yeah they do. FWIW If we are geting off the point form console sales to lumping other things to revenues . Lately total console market size on both sides of pond are comparable. worldwide PS is leading 3;1 in recent months. Uncle Phil mentioned two times lower profits than competition in activison hearings.

Sure, but I think part of the point is that MS are not as interested as Sony are in how many consoles are sold. That is not to say that it's not still important to MS, just that it is not as important and MS are actively working to make itself less reliant on console hardware sales.

This is likely at least partially due to the rapidly increasing costs for silicon fabrication, among other rising costs. IE - how long can consoles remain "affordable" in the facing of silicon cost scaling issues due to the increasing difficulty of scaling silicon to smaller nodes?

Basically, without some sort of breakthrough move to something other than silicon fabrication for electronics, consoles (computing in general) are looking at a very steep silicon wall that may bring alot of progress to a virtual standstill without exhorbitant increases in cost.

MS are diversifying their gaming away from reliance on a single weakpoint (consoles) while Sony are still heavily entrenched/reliant on console hardware sales.

In other words, you can't just say, "Oh, MS aren't advertising which is why they are selling less consoles." when part of Microsoft's strategy is to reduce their reliance on console hardware. NOTE: Not to eliminate it, consoles are still an important part of their strategy, but it's just one part of their strategy for Xbox.

So, they are still reaching just as many gamers as Sony, but they are doing it differently. So yes, Microsoft are losing the hardware numbers race to Sony. Part of that is lack of advertising. However, part of it is a strategy for console hardware to only be one part of Microsoft's gaming (Xbox) portfolio which is likely one reason that advertising spend on consoles isn't significantly higher than it is because their advertising budget for Xbox isn't being used soley for console hardware.

Regards,
SB

Yeah but thats beyond scope of this thread. BTW I wouldn't be so sure what to call fragile

-same silicon will need to be scaled for server blade and powered.
-If rumors of "more elastic attitude" to console next time ( read.. something akin to steam machines / surface line) and that would obviously involve more price overhead given less integrated solution.
- many studios fate hanging on success of subscription service. More and more we hear about consumer subscription cutting trend.

- many studios fate hanging on success of subscription service. More and more we hear about consumer subscription cutting trend.

It's not just subscription. That's one part. Here's the most obvious bits that I see as various pillars of Microsoft's strategy.
  • Diversification of platforms.
    • Console
    • PC
    • Mobile
    • Streaming
  • Lower reliance on exclusivity - related to the above.
    • Bring in more revenue across more platforms.
    • This means embracing releases on competing platforms to an extent.
      • Exclusivity where it makes sense
      • Multiplatform (competing platforms) where it makes sense.
  • Subscription services
    • Expand games available to consumers.
      • Purpose get consumers to try genres and titles they would otherwise not consider due to the cost of purchasing a game.
      • Ancilliary benefit, allows for exploration of new IP without needing to justify cost of development in terms of convicing consumers to buy into a new IP.
    • Recurring revenue that is somewhat predictable.
      • Effect - Risk mitigation.
      • Benefit, allows exploration of new IP without as much risk.
  • Other things that don't immediately come to mind as I write this.
If you look at it, it's all about minimizing exposure to risk at the most basic level. If you can minimize risk, you can then attempt to once again explore investing in new IP. If you can establish a new IP, you now have have the ability to further monetize it in the future.

Is it guaranteed to succeed? No, nothing in game development is guaranteed. But it's all about not putting all of your eggs in once basket.

NOTE: This doesn't mean that Sony aren't also preparing for a future where console hardware may no longer be a profitable way to generate revenue from gaming. Investment into PC gaming (including acquiring developers with experience in specifically porting to PC) as well as investments into BC and cross generation game development are all steps in slowly reducing their reliance on console gaming hardware.

If you think about it, all PC gaming related development is basically cross generational for almost the entire history of PC gaming. Crysis itself is a poster child of cross generational game development on PC while at the same time arguably represents the most cutting edge title ever developed as it targetted hardware that did not yet exist.

Continuing on from that, the rumored PS5-Pro is another stepping stone in cementing cross-generational game development. It's basically another generation of consoles. The end result is that it further prepares Sony's internal development studios for the realities of deploying (developing) games to PC and potentially other platforms where you need to be able to scale your game to the performance of varying levels of hardware.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
H6Wmzjw.png

Not up to date data but sales for Insomniac title. They made much more money with Sony than anyone else. They gain nothing from Fuse development qnd only 567 dollars after Sunset Overdrive.

H6Wmzjw.png

Not up to date data but sales for Insomniac title. They made much more money with Sony than anyone else. They gain nothing from Fuse development qnd only 567 dollars after Sunset Overdrive.
These numbers confuse me. What's IG share? It's lower than cost. The highlighted numbers imply earnings have been half costs since forever!

These numbers confuse me. What's IG share? It's lower than cost. The highlighted numbers imply earnings have been half costs since forever!

The publisher pay the cost of development and give a share of the profit to Insomniac. For Fuse no profit and for Sunset Overdrive the profit were so low they received 567 $.

Basically profit were much higher on Sony project. Higher too than VR project with Meta…

Last edited:
Microsoft were also selling 360s in far fewer territories than Sony were selling PlayStation 3. Microsoft sold 360 in 44 territories, and Sony were selling PS3 there as well as Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Albania, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Jordan, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Mexico, Philippines, India, Malaysia, Israel, Indonesia - which include some of the most affluent countries.

Every single hotel I've stayed in Dubai and Saudi had a PlayStation in the hotel room. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Microsoft were also selling 360s in far fewer territories than Sony were selling PlayStation 3. Microsoft sold 360 in 44 territories, and Sony were selling PS3 there as well as Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Albania, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Jordan, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Mexico, Philippines, India, Malaysia, Israel, Indonesia - which include some of the most affluent countries.

Every single hotel I've stayed in Dubai and Saudi had a PlayStation in the hotel room. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I should have clarified for that specific quote, I meant in the EU/Europe where they basically sell to almost the same countries. Limited to the EU, the smaller countries (in Europe) likely represent a small single digit percentage advantage in sales over not including the European countries that MS didn't officially sell their consoles, although they were still easily purchased in those countries.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back