All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this opinion for a while, but when I voice it, Dead Space fans get a little upset and accuse me of being an EA simp or something. But I totally understand why the Dead Space franchise took the turn that it did. Pure survival horror isn't really blockbuster content. Sure, there have been some hits, but but by and large most of the larger franchise have either been either fazed out of existence, or have reinvented themselves into something completely different. Modern RE games, for example, have totally different gameplay than classic RE, and even different from the series reinvention in RE4. Silent Hill tried a bunch of things to stay relevant but there are 10 games in the series with a combined total of 9 Million units sold, iirc.

What I'm saying it, survival horror isn't a genre that's sales match the passion of it's fans. And the changes made to the Dead Space games were an attempt to take that franchise to a larger market. Even though those attempts failed, they were only necessary because the early games failed to find their market. And Dead Space had a multi-pronged franchise launch. IIRC they had a graphic novel, an animated movie, and the game.

RE Remake reach 9 million sales but this is Resident Evil. RE7 sold 10 million unit. A pure survival horror can probably sold 2 to 4 million not more and launch a new survival horror IP and expecting it to sold 5 million unit this is just dumb.

I expect Sillent Hill 2 Remake to sold around 2 to 4 million unit too but I am sure the budget is not 162 million dollar.

Last edited:
As expected. MS made great inroads this generation though. They are almost neck and neck with Sony in NA and only 35% behind in Europe. Japan is still a blood bath though...

As expected. MS made great inroads this generation though. They are almost neck and neck with Sony in NA and only 35% behind in Europe. Japan is still a blood bath though...
They usually are around the same spot as sony in NA iirc. Only exception was 360 gen where they were selling double PS3 for the entire gen in NA

It's good that both Sony and MS are both doing well globally though, that means market is expanding. Can they both get to 100 million this gen?

Maybe. PS4 outsold Xbox One by about 20% in NA and 200% in Europe. At this time it's about 10% in NA and 80% in Europe. That's a decent change in MS fortunes.

This week's Famitsu numbers

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 44,147 (3,758,948)
PlayStation 5 – 39,468 (2,174,709)
Switch – 17,957 (19,125,239)
Switch Lite – 12,586 (5,165,268)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 4,645 (331,949)
PlayStation 4 – 1,099 (7,847,271)
Xbox Series S – 785 (228,308)
Xbox Series X – 267 (172,878)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 93 (1,190,223)

PlayStation and Switch doing well. In the case of the Xbox...I wonder if there are stories like the stories like we have in the west that there are Series S everywhere. Last week was a week that Xbox had good Japanese support. This week will be another week with good support. The question is has the Xbox peaked in the country or is Microsoft failing to capitalize off of the support they are getting?

PlayStation and Switch doing well. In the case of the Xbox...I wonder if there are stories like the stories like we have in the west that there are Series S everywhere. Last week was a week that Xbox had good Japanese support. This week will be another week with good support. The question is has the Xbox peaked in the country or is Microsoft failing to capitalize off of the support they are getting?
It wouldent be Ms if they didn't fail to capitalize on Japanese support. They seem content with trying to market traditionally Sony oriented franchises which won't actually win them anything over there. Plenty of places to play those now

Why would the Japanese buy an Xbox Series S for title release years before? And Japanese gamer won't buy a hardware where not all Japanese games release and if it was the case why would they buy it instead of a PS5? Microsoft need to do like with the 360 and create Japanese games not available on other hardware. It cost lot of money for a market shrinking.

Why would the Japanese buy an Xbox Series S for title release years before? And Japanese gamer won't buy a hardware where not all Japanese games release and if it was the case why would they buy it instead of a PS5? Microsoft need to do like with the 360 and create Japanese games not available on other hardware. It cost lot of money for a market shrinking.
They started bankrolling Japanese games in the 7th gen. Got cold feet after a few tries and went hard into western market and never looked back. Which left the already small traditional Japanese market on Xbox to languish and erode. If they had continued what they started they would have a lot more trust in general at this point

If you take a look at Amazon.jp the XBS-X are completely sold out while there are still some XBS-S Gilded Hunter bundles available. However, what is interesting is that MS are pushing XBS-S consoles bundled with Game Pass and every single one of those offerings (GP ultimate 1, 2, and 3 bundles) are sold out.

I guess the market there is just far more interested in GP with an XBS-S than they are getting Fortnite, Rocket League or Fall Guys in game money with their XBS-S.

Regards,
SB

I think MS should continue to pretend that they care about Japan and then not care about Japan. :)

Sales wise that is. They should still court developers and publishers..
In my opinion they need to stick with it. Bailing out for a second time won't fly. The effort they made on the 360 should have been focused on making the Xbox seem like a safe console to buy system that would get support but they bailed on it so why would anyone purchase it. This time around they can't bail or they should settle for the fact that a considerable number of games with always be absent on their platform. Microsoft will always be third without full world wide dev/publisher support.

Can we trust those numbers or not

They're likely not the full picture as Microsoft has not reported numbers to anyone, and NPD is wired in to participating retailers. So while not completely accurate, they're the best we're going to get. Just keep in mind to allow for some allowances because Microsoft is not reporting numbers.

They're likely not the full picture as Microsoft has not reported numbers to anyone, and NPD is wired in to participating retailers. So while not completely accurate, they're the best we're going to get. Just keep in mind to allow for some allowances because Microsoft is not reporting numbers.
We are going to trust even more that leak exactly because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back