All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too be fair I doubt Amazon is a good judge, they often run out of stock of this or that SKU which may affect the ranking.

I would think keeping a sku with a physical disc in stock would be harder than a digital insert sku?! As far as I can remember (could be wrong), the Uncharted Collection Bundle has lead the digital sku month after month on Amazon. Actually at one point in time (November I believe) it was sold-out, and the digital sku was only available.

Anyone still think making a console digital download only this generation would not of been a mistake?
cue angry anectdote's 'but I only download games' (btw the last time I physically brought a game was 2004)

Part of that is going to also be limited by how many units Sony manufactured and shipped. Wish I could look at it back in November when those charts were made but right now for example.

Amazon has stock of the PS4 Uncharted bundle (physical disk), but no stock of the PS4 Uncharted bundle (digital download code). The version with the digital download code is only available from 3rd party resellers at the moment.

Another consideration is how many did they order.

For example, Best Buy doesn't even have the physical disk version, they only sell the version with the digital download voucher. Walmart also only carries the digital download version of the Uncharted bundle. I believe Gamestop also only carries the digital download version of the bundle. The physical disk version isn't even "out of stock" or on back order at any of those retailers. So it's doesn't appear like they were selling them before and ran out of stock.

It actually looks like Amazon may be the only large retailer in the US that has the PS4 Uncharted physical disk bundle.

So, ummm, yeah. That says absolutely nothing about the viability of a DD only release on console.

Regards,
SB

I wanted to buy the uncharted dd bundle but it had ran out by the time I decided to order. I got the battlefront bundle from amazon instead.

Mary Jo Foley, a trusted analyst who focuses on Microsoft was told by an unverified source that 'around 18 million' Xbox One's were actively running Windows 10 (based on the 200 million W10 number that MS said end of 2015).

So here is what you need to know about the 18 million number.

1. It is from an unverified source
2. It is trusted by Mary Jo Foley who is a trusted analyst who doesn't usually report incorrect information.
3. It is the number of active Xbox One's running Windows 10.
4. Microsoft force updated all users to W10 I believe this number should include all active Xbox One users
5. The official definition of this 'around 18 million' is active devices used at least once in the last 28 days.

It's a very sketchy number. There can not be 100% active xo users. It should be much less than that (+ consoles in the shops).

MS always had own "activations" definition. Maybe it includes Live users on the same console.

It seems too high if anything, if my guess is 22m XBO shipped, then that's maybe 19-20 sold, and 18m active seems quite high. Although XBO being new maybe the active number is very high compared to 360?

Here is what Mary said herself.

BjcuGKK.jpg

Like I said above, it's not an official number or anything and therefore should not be treated as such.

Yeah 18M would be a good guess based on all the 'data' we have.

MS said that the XB1 is outpacing the X360 at the same point, which was at 17.7M sold-in. EA/Ubi estimated a combined 52-53M install base by the end of 2015 (which could be off by a million or two since it was made early December), and we know the PS4 sold-through 35.9M. And now this source is saying that there are ~18M active XB1s (which could also be off by a bit). None of these points really argue against one another so 18-19 sold-through is probably a good guess (maybe slightly more).

Last edited:
A bunch of UK year end charts surfaced today. I'll post a few of the biggies. And some text.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-year-that-was-2015-in-numbers/0161201

The headline news from this year’s GfK report is this: There were fewer games sold last year, there were fewer consoles sold last year, but accessory sales continue to rise.

Yet there are some significant victories to be found in the data from 2015, and those triumphs are largely centred around anything to do with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The combined install base for these machines – according to retail reports – now sits at 5.5 million. GfK Entertainment’s data shows that over £700 million was generated from physical software sales on both of Sony and Microsoft’s latest platforms. That’s over 75 per cent of all physical game revenue from last year.

If you look at the Top 50 on page nine, you’ll notice that almost every single game was
a PS4 or Xbox One title. The single exception being Mario Kart 8 on Wii U (there were no 3DS, Vita or PC games in the Top 50). And in terms of accessories, nine of the Top Ten were for PS4 or Xbox One.

PS4 was the dominant platform of the year once again, with the highest software and hardware sales. However, Microsoft did have the largest number of exclusive games in the charts with seven, whereas Sony just had two.

In terms of new IP, it was a relatively poor 2015. Only three new IPs released last year made the Top 50: Evolve from 2K Games, Bandai Namco’s Project CARS and Warner Bros’ Dying Light.

Speaking of Warner Bros, the company has not just broken into Top Five physical publishers, but it is now in the Top Three. There were eight Warner Bros-published games in the Top 50 (and four LEGO games): Batman: Arkham Knight (No.6), LEGO Jurassic World (No.10), Dying Light (No.19), LEGO Dimensions (No.25), Mortal Kombat X (No.26), LEGO Batman III: Beyond Gotham (No.31), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (No.38) and Mad Max (No.45).

As a result of fewer releases, Ubisoft, Nintendo and Sony slipped down the publisher rankings. However, all three have significantly stronger release slates for 2016, so they’re likely to be back up amongst the leaders this year.

PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 software sales continue to tumble. PS3 software revenue, for instance, was down 61 per cent versus 2014. Although that’s not quite so severe when you consider that PS3 software sales also dropped 59 per cent between 2013 and 2014.

1UQOXZx.png

rguHOh6.png

YUlx1s2.png

7mxvHLg.png

PcfpB8h.png

ddCylS5.png

Some thoughts on the data:

It's amazing how big franchises dominate. The same ones every year.

Xbox remains very strong in UK, if you add up XBO and 360 (29.7+12.5=42.2%), Xbox software share is basically equal to Playstation (PS4+PS3=36.3%+7.1%=43.4%)) software share even in year 3 of a very bad generation for Microsoft. Xbox remains strong in the USA/UK, preventing them from being wiped out this gen.

I can try to glean a bit of hardware info, 5.5 million PS4+XBO, if you break it down and assume hardware share is exactly the same ratio as software share for each console (in other words a 55/45 split in favor of PS4, using 36.3/29.7), You get roughly 3 million PS4 hardware and 2.5 million XBO hardware in UK. Which is probably close to correct.

Market continues to basically be down according to the text. I need to find some very damning UK annual software numbers that were posted on GAF, they basically showed since around 2007-8 IIRC, the UK packaged software market is down by like HALF. 50% decline or so in a few years. I am sure digital makes up some of that of course

Last edited:
Using that 2.5m XBO UK estimate we can do our usual XBO world sales guesstimate since that seems to be a hot topic lately. It might look roughly like

USA after Dec=~11m
UK ~2.5m
Canada~up to 1m (using the old assumption Canada~10% of USA)

So there ~14.5m, then Brazil, Mexico, Australia, the rest of Europe/Russia, plus any other markets in the world, =??? Take your guess...but yeah 18 million plus doesn't seem hard to get too.

German sales awards for December

Black Ops 3 - 500k (PS4)
Fallout 4 - 500k (All platforms)
The Witcher 3 - 500k (All platforms)
AC: Syndicate - 200k (PS4) [digital included]
FIFA 16 - 200k (PS3)
Need for Speed - 200k (PS4)
Battlefront - 100k (PS4)
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 100k (3DS)
Black Ops 3 - 100k (Xbox One) [digital included]
FIFA 16 - 100k (Xbox One) [digital included]
Just Cause 3 - 100k (PS4) [digital included]
Mario Maker - 100k (Wii U)
Yoshi's Wooly World - 100k (Wii U) [digital included]

Updated 100k+ sellers for PS4

FIFA 14 - 200k
Assassin's Creed 4 - 100k
Battlefield 4 - 100k
CoD: Ghosts - 100k
Killzone: Shadow Fall - 100k
Watch_Dogs - 200k
inFamous: SS - 100k
TLoU: Remastered - 200k
Destiny - 200k
FIFA 15 - 500k
CoD: Advanced Warfare - 200k
GTAV - 500k
AC Unity - 200k
Far Cry 4 - 200k
Shadow of Mordor - 100k
NFS Rivals - 100k
DRIVECLUB - 200k
The Evil Within - 100k
Dragon Age: Inquisition - 100k
Battlefield: Hardline - 100k
The Crew - 100k
The Witcher 3 - 200k
Minecraft - 100k
The Order - 100k
Batman: Arkham Knight - 100k
FIFA 16 - 500k
Bloodborne - 100k
Project CARS - 100k
MGSV: TPP - 100k
AC: Syndicate - 200k
CoD: Black Ops 3 - 500k
Fallout 4 - 200k
Need for Speed - 200k
Star Wars: Battlefront - 200k
Until Dawn - 100k
Just Cause 3 - 100k

Updated 100k+ sellers for Xbox One

GTAV - 100k
FIFA 15 - 100k
FIFA 16 - 100k
Black Ops 3 - 100k

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...n-computer-und-videospiele-im-dezember-1.html

Some sales hardware in Germany. All more than 100k games sales

Here is the post from GAF sales ager about decline in UK packaged software...(dont have a source for every year but I trust it's official as a trusted sales ager)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191282447&postcount=56

Code:

UK physical software sales

2015 - 28,000,000 units / £928m
2014 - 30,200,000 units / £948m
2013 - 34,500,000 units / £1,015m
2012 - 39,600,000 units / £1,046m
2011 - 55,400,000 units / £1,420m
2010 - 63,000,000 units / £1,530m
2009 - 74,600,000 units / £1,620m
2008 - 82,800,000 units / £1,905m
2007 - 75,900,000 units / £1,720m
2006 - 65,100,000 units / £1,360m
2005 - 61,300,000 units / £1,350m
2004 - 59,700,000 units / £1,350m

Forget 50%, decline since heyday is much larger than that...

But I wonder how much digital, not just triple A digital on console but all the smaller $15 and indie digital titles on console, MMO's, MOBA's on PC, all those things are cutting into it.

Wonder what the hardware numbers in the UK are like over the years? Seems like while hardware still does well, software doesn't sell nearly as well there as it used to. 2008 as a high makes some sense as X360 was established, PS3 sales were picking up, and PS2 sales while on the decline were still solid.

While 2014-2015 will have a significant impact from digital sales that won't really account for previous years that much as DD wasn't that big on PS3/X360. 2011-2012 drop was huge. If it was 2012-2013, it'd be easy to blame the drop on anticipation for the new console generation, but 2011-2012 was still 1-2 years away.

I'd be willing to bet that overall software (Physical + Digital) sales are likely better for 2014 and 2015 than it was for 2012 or 2013. Either that or people just aren't interested in PS4 or XBO games.

Regards,
SB

Wonder what the hardware numbers in the UK are like over the years? Seems like while hardware still does well, software doesn't sell nearly as well there as it used to. 2008 as a high makes some sense as X360 was established, PS3 sales were picking up, and PS2 sales while on the decline were still solid.

While 2014-2015 will have a significant impact from digital sales that won't really account for previous years that much as DD wasn't that big on PS3/X360. 2011-2012 drop was huge. If it was 2012-2013, it'd be easy to blame the drop on anticipation for the new console generation, but 2011-2012 was still 1-2 years away.

I'd be willing to bet that overall software (Physical + Digital) sales are likely better for 2014 and 2015 than it was for 2012 or 2013. Either that or people just aren't interested in PS4 or XBO games.

Regards,
SB

I mean the way people play is changing. How many are playing League Of Legends? Hearthstone? Dota 2? H1Z1? Minecraft? (all PC know)

How many are playing indie or small releases on XBO and PS4 downloaded digitally? Stuff like Ark, smite, is big on XBO.

And then mobile on top of that.

And in triple A, the trend is definitely to open world games that people can explore and play forever in, and "make their own fun" like Fallout 4 and GTA V.

And then there is perennial sports games as a different entity...

I see gaming becoming more "from the ground up" rather than a packaged, $60, Halo (and even that Halo will be a multiplayer/forge focused, long lived, almost MMO). I kind of prefer the latter though. It's what I grew up with.

Last edited:
One projection from Playstation India 100k PS4 in India beginning of April 2016.

Rumoured number of 50k to 60k PS4 end of 2015 and 2000 to 2500 Xbox One in India.

http://asidcast.com/bleak-future-xbox-one-in-india/

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/games/fea...k-friday-deals-gets-dominated-in-india-628766

While there are no official reports detailing the number of Xbox Ones sold across India since Microsoft will never go on record to say it out loud, industry veterans have told me that (Yes, I’ve gaming industry veteran contacts flexes arm) the Xbox One has sold about 1500 units last December and has probably sold around 2000-2500 units till now while the Playstation 4 has about 50,000-60,000 units circulating in India, according to PlayStation India head Atindriya Bose, and will have about 100,000 units by April 2016.

Last edited:
If X1 is going to turn it around, they have to win this year, to begin with, right?

Otherwise, the sales data are going to be moot.

But it still needs good sales for MS to decide to continue with the next generation, instead of bailing on the video gaming space.

If X1 is going to turn it around, they have to win this year, to begin with, right?

Otherwise, the sales data are going to be moot.

But it still needs good sales for MS to decide to continue with the next generation, instead of bailing on the video gaming space.

To be fair Microsoft do have good sales. They definitely should continue into the next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back