NPD December 2015 Sales Results

PS4 Top Selling Console

Software

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  3. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  5. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  8. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  9. Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  10. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
The 10 best-selling games of the year
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  3. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  8. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/d...f-duty-star-wars-fallout-end-the-year-strong/
http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/2015-npd-the-10-best-selling-games-of-the-year/

PS4 sold the most third-party software for the year.

I think Zhuge is saying that his predictions were close, and he predicted >1.7M PS4, <1.5M XB1, <0.5M Wii U.

edit: XB1 - 1,380,000
PS4 - 1,587,000
Wii U - 464,000

Last edited:
This is crazy I didn't realize it had progressed this far, but last gen is truly dead (like in, not carried in many stores dead)

360+PS3+Wii did 510k December 2014. Combined they did 148k this December.

For top 10, at least MS must be happy with software sales. They beat PS4 on several (5 wins for XBO, 5 for PS4 overall). And for Battlefront where you can say PS4 bundle cause XBO to win, possibly the XBO bundle caused PS4 to win Fallout 4 the same way.

For top 10, at least MS must be happy with software sales. They beat PS4 on several (5 wins for XBO, 5 for PS4 overall). And for Battlefront where you can say PS4 bundle cause XBO to win, possibly the XBO bundle caused PS4 to win Fallout 4 the same way.
Sony also released a standard 349 Black Ops bundle in December. But yeah, XB has always been strong software wise.

I guess Blops 3 and Battlefront can be explained by Sony bundles, although I find it meaningful regardless of any caveats.

Battlefront was big, I'm not sure the status of the Blops 3 PS4 bundle in December.

Fallout 4 could go the other way for Xb, but I'll wager it's far less likely than the above two (it wasn't the "main" XBO bundle, which I guess was Gears UE, and it was only one of several second tier bundles).

And the Minecraft games, which are 2 of the top 10, traditionally do better on Xbox. Plus, they are what, 15-20 dollars? Not as big revenue generators.

That leaves Rainbow 6 as a legit straight up win. That sold better on XBO in UK too IIRC, I guess the franchise is associated with Xbox.

I guess Blops 3 and Battlefront can be explained by Sony bundles, although I find it meaningful regardless of any caveats.

Battlefront was big, I'm not sure the status of the Blops 3 PS4 bundle in December.

Fallout 4 could go the other way for Xb, but I'll wager it's far less likely than the above two (it wasn't the "main" XBO bundle, which I guess was Gears UE, and it was only one of several second tier bundles).
Amazon has the BO3 PS4 bundle at 88 for the month and the Fallout XB1 bundle is out of the top 100, so neither seemed to sell particularly well (at least compared to everything else). They seemed to sell A LOT of Battlefront PS4 bundles though.

That leaves Rainbow 6 as a legit straight up win. That sold better on XBO in UK too IIRC, I guess the franchise is associated with Xbox.
The only things worth mentioning are that MS had marketing rights for R6: S, and the XB1 version included the last gen R6 Vegas games.

Last edited:
“Thanks to our fans, continued support for the most critically-acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history made December 2015 the best month yet for Xbox Live global engagement and Xbox One sales in the U.S. The total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide nearly doubled compared to December 2014 and Xbox One exclusive game sales in the U.S. between July and December 2015 were up 61 percent compared to the same period in 2014. Revenue from Xbox Store’s Countdown, the biggest Xbox Store sale ever, broke records with 69 percent growth year-over-year when compared to results from last year’s sale. Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015.”

Xbox PR.

So that best sales month ever means over 1.3 million if there was any doubt.

Where is NPD George? I hope he doesn't leave...it was nice having exact numbers for a couple months rather than pie estimates.

"Xbox Live global engagement" has to be the best PR metric yet. It's like "user hours spent crying", but on turbo chillies.

Sony taking both November and December NPD in the US is bit of blow to MS... though XB1 put up some great numbers both months. I have hard time believing MS will take any of the months during 2016. In 2014 they won 4 months (?) and 2015 only 2 months (?)... so it doesn't look all that PR bright for MS this year (hardware wise).

NPD George to the rescue! Hot off the presses

U.S. December 2015 Video Games Console Hardware Unit Sales:

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4': 1582K units (+48.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One': 1376K units (+6.1% year-over-year)
Nintendo's 'Wii U': 463K units (-19.5% year-over-year)
Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox 360': 139K units (-55.0% year-over-year)
Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 3': 29K units (-83.3% year-over-year)

wtd8KbK.png

This really tells the tale IMO

PS4 was up 85% in Nov YoY IIRC. It wasn't anything MS did wrong, Sony just took the holidays by storm this time. Not sure whether it was more the price drop, improved supply, marketing, or what. They proved MS doesn't own the holidays.

And all that with a much weaker exclusive packaged software lineup. Proving once again that has little effect.

To me the interesting question next year is if Xbox goes to 299 and if Sony follows suit or gives them a year at $50 cheaper like last time. And I guess just still what chance Xbox has at taking USA for the gen.

Last edited:
Here's another interesting numbers credit Gaffer welfare

Rounded to nearest 10k.

YTD 2015

PS4 - 5740K (+23% YoY)
XB1 - 4940K (+13% YoY)
WIU - 1340K (-14% YoY)

Lifetime totals should be about 12.4 million for PS4, 11.1 million for Xbox by my book. And creamsugar I think said the lifetime gap was 1285k, so it checks out perfectly.

One positive shred I found for MS is in December NPD is they are up a little more month over month from November 2015, about +6% vs about +3% for PS4.

Last edited:
So basically, XBO continues to do well (better than X360 launch aligned, which no one would say sold badly), but PS4 is just hitting it out of the park right now. Good to see for both companies.

I just wish Nintendo were doing better.

Regards,
SB

I kind of at least admire Nintendo is able to have a viable, essentially core console that doesn't even come close to competing on power. That's hard to do. I walked in a Gamestop the other day and Wii U is out there on a display station like all the other toys. It's not defunct or anything. They even have games generating buzz like Xenoblade, though few and far between.

The other thing is those UK charts from Neogaf? The top ten for Wii U, it's 9/10 Nintendo published (dont recall the 10th). So at least that "helps" Nintendo, they have near 100% software share on their console which likely helps profit.

This really tells the tale IMO

PS4 was up 85% in Nov YoY IIRC. It wasn't anything MS did wrong, Sony just took the holidays by storm this time. Not sure whether it was more the price drop, improved supply, marketing, or what. They proved MS doesn't own the holidays.
I've said this before, but I think that Sony played it safe last year and MS caught them off guard with their aggressive pricing.

This year they were prepared and they really did a masterful job this holiday season IMO. They partnered with two huge third-party titles in Battlefront and Black Ops. They dropped the price just before the holidays. They made The Nathan Drake bundle the star of Black Friday opening the doors for new Uncharted fans in time for Uncharted 4. And knowing that Star Wars was coming out in December, they made the Battlefront bundle the star of December.

I believe Abdiel at GAF said that Sony made sure that stores had a bunch of Battlefront bundles before December, probably in preparation for the 299 sale, so they were definitely planning ahead, and it was a strategic move to not include the Battlefront bundle as part of their Black Friday sale.

And the icing on the cake was the standard 349 Black Ops bundle that is now the top selling PS4 SKU and should carry the PS4 for months.

One positive shred I found for MS is in December NPD is they are up a little more month over month from November 2015, about +6% vs about +3% for PS4.
The reason that the PS4 had a smaller MoM increase from November -> December is because the PS4 had a massive YoY increase in November, thanks in large part to the price drop and carryover sales from pre-orders of the Battlefront and Black Ops bundles from previous months.

Last edited:
What's the current PS4/Xbone gap in the US?

I don't see what MS can do to push their sales over PS4 in the 1st half of 2016, so the gap will continue to get bigger.

Back