Sunset Overdrive: From Insomniac Games [XO]

This may be a bit late to mention, but at the time R&C came out for the PS2 I always felt that despite it being a native 60fps game, it never felt as snappy as J&D that came out more or less at the same time and was perhaps the most similar in style and gameplay. Someone that wants to play a snappy-oh-god-this-is-how-a-platformer-should-feel-like should play J&D (the first one). No idea of course how SO will play, given it's 30fps, but it's something that I felt all Insomniac platformer games suffered a bit. No idea why, maybe design choice... never really thought too much about it at the time and just loved the games for what they were - brilliant entertainment and a very solid platformer.

My thoughts exactly

The rail grinding is a hard one. I understand the mechanic is important to keep the constant movement idea Insomniac went for. I see they want to incentive players to use it often, and don't want it to be too hard to control so they can aim and shoot and think about where they want to hop to next while at it.
One of the differences between playing and watching is that, when playing, you don't care how something looks. Sometimes a game looks fairly boring, but when your brain is engaged in the process of playing it, it find amusement. In this case, possibly when one's on the rails trying to aim the weapons, the feel of the rail grinding takes a back-seat and you won't even notice it?

From the videos I've watched it looks very much like a reskinned Ratchet and Clank.

Theres nothing wrong with that I love me some Ratchet and Clank.

From the videos I've watched it looks very much like a reskinned Ratchet and Clank.

Theres nothing wrong with that I love me some Ratchet and Clank.

Yup, thats what me thought too. A next-gen open world Ratchet game with Eff words to make it seem its not a Ratchet kiddie game and for teh 'grown ups' ! Sad that one has to got that way these days, but frankly, its an RnC game. I like RnC, but it would be even better it WAS RnC instead of this foul mouthed "mature" game.(Mature is such a "weirdly" used word in the world of video games.)

I watched some streams. Decided I'm going to preorder. It's kind of like Ratched and Clank mixed with Borderlands (the zany characters, the way they're introduced). I'm ok with that.

It actually reminds me more of dead rising 3 with Ratchet and Clank guns and Tony hawk traversal.
It isnt exactly breakthrough gameplay but it has never been done before.
The graphical aesthetic reminds me of colorful Dreamcast games but with modern assets and effects.
I cant wait until the 28th

Yup, finally Insomniac hits gold ! Although Nexus was awesome too.
I am seeing 9s everywhere. Hope it sells well, we need Insomniac around for long times !

Just pre-ordered now based on reviews, I was on the fence about it at first but the reviews have removed my most of my concerns. It being not sure if this has the depth to be really fun.

Just pre-ordered now based on reviews, I was on the fence about it at first but the reviews have removed my most of my concerns. It being not sure if this has the depth to be really fun.

Yah. I tend to hate spoilering games, but i watched the full intro of this game on some live streams because I wanted to see enough to make a decision. I was on the fence, but I think it should be pretty good.

$350 XB1 with this game is soo tempting. I must resist. must resist. resist...

I like the look of the white xbox one. I normally like black electronics, but it looks pretty cool. Would kind of stick out awkwardly from the rest of my stuff.

$350 XB1 with this game is soo tempting. I must resist. must resist. resist...

Don't forget about the $100 tradein offer by MS Store for any base unit XB360!

Wow, great reviews, Insomniac is back! :D

Were they ever gone? I know I've pretty much enjoyed all the games they've brought out in the last ~12 years (I started playing their games with R&C and have pretty much bought all their games since then). Some of their games might have been criticized by fans, but only because their constant high quality created a high benchmark. At the end of the day, they've always made brilliant games. Sunset Overdrive being good, IMO was pretty much a certainty. It's great that Xbox gamers get to enjoy their games too now. Here's hoping it will sell reasonable at the very least (though the egoistic part of me would like to see them return to the PS, or at least be multiplatform :p).

Just started playing at 5am this morning. Wow great fun, friggen jokes this game. I'm really happy with the purchase.
Conversations are pretty funny, really funny for a game. Foul language in this game doesn't irk me it's not common and it's used fairly right. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Technical side of things:
IQ is quite sharp during cutscenes very close to the cutscene press shots I think. Hard to tell without being able to take my own photos. Frame rate is great haven't noticed any noticeable drops yet.
City is massive no loading screens to separate areas, iQ in game aliasing issues become noticeable immediately. Wondering now as I write this if cutscenes run at 1080 and game runs 900.

edit: and the whole game is 900p. [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-sunset-overdrive]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back