3D SsTcEoRpEiOc GAMES A comprehensive list; [PS3,PS4,XO,X360,WU,3DS]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
True 3D stereoscopic games have been slowly but steadily making their way into consoles and PCs. The experience is totally worth it and in some ways it can be a game changer when 3D stereoscopic gameplay is supported! In order to understand what I mean just try Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 in both 2D and 3D stereoscopic mode, and compare… (take into account I have very little experience with 3D but even so it is easy to see that the difference is quite significant)

I decided to create this thread in order to keep up to date about the games which support 3D stereoscopic as those games come out. So let’s get started.

In this excellent webpage you can find a great guide to get you started with 3D.

http://www.3dtested.com/getting-started-with-3d/

Getting Started With 3D

Why is 3D Better?

An introductory explanation of conventional (2D) TV and how 3D works is beneficial in understanding what 3D adds to your viewing experience. This is explained in the following sections. If you’re unsure if 3D is right for you try it out at your local TV retailer.

Conventional TV

Our natural real-world vision is stereoscopic, meaning that each of our two eyes sees everything from a slightly different position and angle. This allows us to perceive the world in three dimensions, horizontally, vertically, and with depth.

When we watch a conventional (two dimensional) video both eyes see the same picture. We see the objects shown in the video as flat due to the lack of a different perspective for each eye. After watching for a minute or two we “zone in” to the video, subconsciously forgetting about the TV and other objects around us. In this state our brain can make up for some of the loss of depth perception by using visual cues in the picture such as the size, angle, position and movement of objects and relate them to our real-world three dimensional vision experience but the missing critical stereoscopic component of vision cannot be overcome.

3D TV

A 3D television makes it possible to display different images to each eye. This provides the facility to display the same picture from two different perspectives, one for each eye, thereby restoring stereoscopic vision.
The most common technique used by 3D TV’s in the home is through the use of active-shutter glasses which block the vision of one eye by making the lens in the glasses opaque while the image for the other eye is displayed on the screen. The same is performed for the alternate eye and the process repeats, typically 60 times per second. This happens so quickly that we don’t notice that each eye is being blocked, similar to how we don’t really notice when we blink our eyes (which is much slower at around a third of a second).

Benefits of 3D

3D provides a more immersive experience when watching movies, sport and documentaries by providing true depth perception. 3D also enhances computer games, and in some games, particularly those involving driving or sports, 3D can give you an advantage by allowing you to better judge distances and therefore the timing of certain actions such as cornering or hitting a ball.

In the console space the PS3 is the console which supports more 3D games. There are around 100 3D games on the PS3 as of currently.

Please note that Gran Turismo 5 gets the best 3D score of the whole list.

http://www.3dtested.com/3d-ps3-games-list/

Xbox 360 does officially support 3D via a dashboard update from early 2011 and it has 50 3D games for now.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, Avatar: The Game, de Blob 2: The Underground, and Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao (XBLA, multiple 3D formats) are the games which score higher at 3D on the Xbox 360.

http://www.3dtested.com/3d-xbox-360-games-list/

Halo Combat Evolved also supports 3D. I hope 3D support becomes a reality in the Halo series now that 343 Studios have experience with it.

In regards to Xbox 360, Microsoft have said that they are going to increase the support for 3D games as the consumer interest grows.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/231405/xbox-360-is-fully-3d-capable/

As consumer interest for 3D grows, we'll grow with it," says MS.

Xbox One is fully 3D compatible since day one, Major Nelson has confirmed.

Sony have been always supporting 3D games, so the trend is going to continue in the future.

PC gaming is always on the cutting edge, and there are almost 800 games confirmed to support 3D using Tridef and there are another 400 games supporting 3D with NVidia 3D Vision (please note that many of them aren't natively programmed for 3D by their original developers, so there might be artifacts and so on and so forth).

Thanks to Davros for the links.

On the pc side heres a list of 790 games confirmed to work with tridef
(note its the driver in nearly all cases that enables 3d support so every pc game can run in 3d although some may have issues)
http://www.tridef.com/user-guide/supported-games

400 games confirmed to work with nvidia 3d vision
http://compreviews.about.com/od/PC-Gaming/a/NVIDIA-3D-Vision-Games-List.htm

In regards to Nintendo, this is the list of 3DS games with 3D support.

http://www.3dtested.com/3d-nintendo-3ds-games-list/

This is another list of 3D games, which goes over the years since the very early days of the technology and includes a broader amount of platforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stereoscopic_video_games

For now I am just going to focus on PS4, Xbox One and PC games which are going to be released in the future and have been confirmed to support 3D.

THIS LIST OF GAMES IS GOING TO BE COMPRISED OF REAL 3D GAMES ONLY!! :) This means that the developers originally conceived them with Stereoscopic 3D in mind.

PS4 3D GAMES:
Trine 2
Zen Pinball 2

Xbox One 3D GAMES:

PC 3D GAMES:

Last edited by a moderator:
I :love: the 3D in Ico and KZ3. Played the entire game in 3D. It's a very different experience.
I am just enjoying the original Crysis in 3D -Xbox 360 version- and I agree with you.

In fact from now on it is a critical deciding factor to buy a game or helping me to choose between games of the same genre.

For instance, I am not into BF or CoD, but CoD: Ghosts has been confirmed to feature 3D native support, which means that I am probably going to buy it and won't buy BF4 if it doesn't support 3D.

Those 3D-converted games may look weird, like cardboards in 3D. The developed from ground up for 3D games should look more interesting (though potentially headache inducing).

On the pc side heres a list of 790 games confirmed to work with tridef
(note its the driver in nearly all cases that enables 3d support so every pc game can run in 3d although some may have issues)
http://www.tridef.com/user-guide/supported-games

400 games confirmed to work with nvidia 3d vision
http://compreviews.about.com/od/PC-Gaming/a/NVIDIA-3D-Vision-Games-List.htm
Thanks for sharing, I am going to add your links to the original post of this thread.

Could a mod help me to edit the title and type Stereoscopic correctly? I missed a letter and I can't edit the title of the thread now.

Those 3D-converted games may look weird, like cardboards in 3D. The developed from ground up for 3D games should look more interesting (though potentially headache inducing).
My only experience with unsupported games was trying to convert them into actual 3D by using the 2D to 3D conversion setting of the TV and the experience isn't bad, but it's not even close to the real thing.

I haven't experienced headaches in Crysis, but I can see why it can happen because it feels like you get into a world within your real world. The experience can be amazing and it makes your senses more aware of everything. It's hard to describe with words.

By the way, since yours is a reply to Davros' post, I gotta say that I have both Age of Empires 3 and Age of Empires 3 Asian Dynasties for the PC -as a hardcore fan of the series-, although I don't have a NVidia graphics card though. :cry:

As you can see above, it's not so difficult to find so-called 3D games, but it's not so obvious which are the "real" 3D games.

IMHO, it's more valuable to highlight them in this thread.

3D suffered somewhat in Hollywood because after a while people can't tell what's the benefits of going 3D when they watched 3D converted movies. There were visual sacrifices and the 3D glasses in the cinema are not exactly comfortable. :)

I am just enjoying the original Crysis in 3D -Xbox 360 version- and I agree with you.

I'd be curious what Crysis is like in 3D on the 360 with obviously nothing to spare in terms of frame rate and very little to spare in terms of resolution. What do they compromise to achieve the 3D effect? Or is it using the Crysis 2 style 3D which doesn't really impact framerate but doesn't have the full effect of re-rendering the entire scene in each frame from a different perspective?

3D isn't built into the engine of Crysis 1 on PC's like it is on consoles so we have rely on the driver implementation which on the one hand gives a much better 3D effect but on the other produces artefacts unless your turn several settings down to medium.

I would significantly narrow the list based on whether the 3D is natively rendered or if it's "converted" using depth-based reprojection.

You mention Assassin's Creed. AC3 on PS3 was perhaps the single worst implementation of 3D that I have ever had the gut-churning horror to play. I have zero faith in their ability to do it correctly.

None of the previous versions of AC on PC have supported 3D (including the ones that claimed to do on PS3), so I don't know where you're hearing that AC4 will suddenly support it completely, and I haven't heard a thing one way or another.

AC would absolutely benefit from this, moreso than just about any other franchise, but they've really got to do it correctly instead of that crap they shoved on us with AC3.

Now that that's out of the way, my only immediate hope for 3D on PS4 at launch is for Resogun. There's some hope, since these are the guys that did Super Stardust HD, and that's absolutely one of the best 3D titles on PS3.

I don't know about consoles, but Tomb Raider supported stereo 3D on the PC. I also enjoyed Skyrim with Tridef.

None of the previous versions of AC on PC have supported 3D (including the ones that claimed to do on PS3), so I don't know where you're hearing that AC4 will suddenly support it completely, and I haven't heard a thing one way or another.

The AC2 'trilogy' supports 3D on the PC (through driver). I haven't tried AC1 but I know for certain AC3 doesn't.

As you can see above, it's not so difficult to find so-called 3D games, but it's not so obvious which are the "real" 3D games.

IMHO, it's more valuable to highlight them in this thread.

3D suffered somewhat in Hollywood because after a while people can't tell what's the benefits of going 3D when they watched 3D converted movies. There were visual sacrifices and the 3D glasses in the cinema are not exactly comfortable. :)
That's an interesting suggestion. I will add only real 3D games to the list, and I am going to write a little notification in the original post.

Cheers.

I'd be curious what Crysis is like in 3D on the 360 with obviously nothing to spare in terms of frame rate and very little to spare in terms of resolution. What do they compromise to achieve the 3D effect? Or is it using the Crysis 2 style 3D which doesn't really impact framerate but doesn't have the full effect of re-rendering the entire scene in each frame from a different perspective?

3D isn't built into the engine of Crysis 1 on PC's like it is on consoles so we have rely on the driver implementation which on the one hand gives a much better 3D effect but on the other produces artefacts unless your turn several settings down to medium.
My experience with 3D is still quite limited but I can tell you that the effect is really convincing. I am playing the game using active 3D glasses -passive is just as appealing to me, because each method have advantages and disadvantages- and as you say the game's resolution is nothing to write home about, be it in either 2D or 3D.

I didn't notice a single difference between 2D and 3D when it comes to resolution.

Additionally, the game lets you choose the 3D strength and when you enable 3D the screen splits and the game asks you to enable the 3D Side by Side setting of your TV. When you enable that setting the image isn't split anymore and you have to wear glasses to see the full effect.

I didn't notice artifacts, it works really well and the HUD gives you the impression of being outside of the screen, in front of your eyes. When you use the binoculars the effect is quite awe-inspiring. If anything there can be some ghosting at times, but it's not annoying and it might happen because of the TV, the game, the glasses....

The 3D effect is well done, perhaps not the best ever but just fine Once you set your TV's settings to "3D side by side" it actually makes it 1 image. That's when you have true 3D.

I shall test more games as time goes on, but the experience has been great for me. Perhaps other games have even more depth.

Think of playing Crysis in 3D for the Xbox 360 as a diorama. I hope you get the idea.

The TV seems to extend behind its flat surface, the HUD looks as if it was there somewhere and you could reach it by extending your hands. The gun in first person view with 3D has a lot more depth and it floats in the air very naturally.

Picking up ammunition or other weapons feels like you are picking them up yourself, the grass and the vegetation both have depth -which means that it doesn't feel like the typical 2D game when walking between the vegetation has no effect on you, it seems "flat"-, which helps you to know exactly where you are or when you are actually hidden and whatnot.

In the end they didn't compromise anything to achieve the 3D effect. The framerate is exactly the same for me, the resolution is the same too -with passive 3D you might notice a drop, but passive 3D glasses have other advantages over active 3D, so it all depends-.

I see no difference between 2D and 3D in that sense --I mean, resolution and framerate-.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the PC list or not but everything done via 3DVision is "true" 3D, i.e. the entire scene re-rendered from a different perspective for each eye. 3D doesn't get any better outside of VR.

Games like Crysis 2/3 that are built to support 3D natively in the engine using reprojection actually come out looking less impressive. Although they obviously have the big advantage
of having little to no performance hit as opposed to halving the frame rate in the 3DVision method.

nVidia categorized those 3D games into different classes:

NVIDIA designates games as NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready, Excellent, Good, and Poor.

Perhaps these games also use different techniques to achieve 3D.

No, just different rendering techniques that cause artifacts when rendered in stereo 3d
like shadows that have the wrong z values

Back