The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

They listened, the game now supports a new RT performance option that is equivalent to console settings.

• Added a new performance mode for ray-traced global illumination, which can be toggled by players with compatible hardware. It improves frame rate by prioritizing performance over range and precision.

Last edited:
They listened, the game now supports a new RT performance option that is equivalent to console settings.

• Added a new performance mode for ray-traced global illumination, which can be toggled by players with compatible hardware. It improves frame rate by prioritizing performance over range and precision.

This is something tons of PC players have been asking for. I'm happy cdprojectred actually took the requests to heart

I am also curious as to the console performance now.

Thank you for your support and feedback on the Next-Gen update for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Following Patch 4.01, we wanted to take a moment to talk about some of the issues the team is currently working on and to give a better understanding of what’s ahead. We are working on patches for the game and investigating all the reports you’re sending our way – please keep them coming!

We are currently investigating the following issues:
  • CPU core utilisation.
    We are working to improve how the game handles CPU core utilisation.
  • Performance of the DirectX 12 version.
    We are continuously working to improve the overall performance and stability of the DirectX 12 version of the game, and hope that you'll see improvements with the coming patches.
  • Performance on next-gen consoles.
    We’ve received reports from players who have noticed a decrease in frame rate while playing in Performance Mode on next-gen consoles. This is especially noticed in more demanding areas of the game like Novigrad and Beauclair.
  • Ray traced global illumination improvements.
    We’re working on reducing global illumination lighting leaks.
  • Ray traced shadows improvements.
    We’re investigating an issue with vegetation shadows “popping” depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle.
  • Restoring horizon-based ambient occlusion on PC.
  • Game crashes.
    We are continuously investigating game crashes that are reported to us via telemetry and tech support tickets.
  • Battle Preparations quest still not working after the patch for some players.
    We are aware that some players who experienced an issue where it could be impossible to interact with Avallac'h before patch 4.01, may now experience an issue where there are no dialogue options that can progress the quest after the fix. We're working on the underlying cause and steps to reproduce it.

Time to shelve it for a while I guess.

Very glad I got in my replay of TW3 last year before this new update hit.

Playing it with the Ghost Mode overhaul is pretty much the definitive experience, in my opinion. It fixed so many of the more fundamental systemic flaws in the game, while fully retaining a faithful, vanilla feel.

That said, there's good news on this front - the Ghost Mode author is apparently working on converting the mod for the new version, though it will take some time. Along with CDPR having to fix up the base game, it seems like this even more definitive version of the game will exist at some point in the future.

Personally, I'm very glad I didn't wait, though. It's still a game that looks like it's from 2015 even with ray tracing, and the actual systems/gameplay enhancements from Ghost Mode were FAR more worthwhile than some slightly enhanced visuals. It genuinely makes it a much better game, not just a slightly better looking one.

Been playing with my RAM after seeing @pjbliverpool post about the performance he seen on his own system and gained 20fps!

I only have 3200Mhz DDR4 and I've been toying with the idea of getting another 16GB for 32GB total but I might just get a 3600-3800Mhz 32GB kit now.

This game is now locked to 60fps 90% of the time, it also feels loads better to play with an Xbox One controller rather than a KB/M 🤷

Patch 4.02 for The Witcher: Wild Hunt is being rolled out and will soon be available on PC, PlayStation and Xbox! Among various fixes, it also improves the overall stability and performance of the game.

Below you can find a list of the most notable changes to come in this update.

PC-SPECIFIC

• Improved CPU core utilization in the DX 12 version.
  • Restored horizon-based ambient occlusion. Players who had previously turned Ambient Occlusion off will need to do so again. You can find it in Options → Video → Graphics.
  • Fixed an issue where the "My Rewards" section was not localized in REDlauncher.
  • Fixed an issue with a flickering landscape in Toussaint that occurred when NVIDIA HairWorks was disabled.
  • Fixed an issue related to particle optimization which could result in temporary stuttering.
CONSOLE-SPECIFIC

• Improved Performance Mode on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where characters could become slightly blurry during dialogues and cutscenes on PlayStation 5.
  • Fixed an issue related to memory usage in Ray Tracing Mode which could result in crashes on Xbox Series X.
  • Whatsoever a Man Soweth... - The game will no longer crash if Geralt runs away from Shani after starting the conversation on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where quicksaves couldn't be loaded when using cross progression on Xbox One.
  • Added two missing "Top notch swords!" on previous-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue with overwriting manual saves where in some circumstances the oldest gamesave was deleted on PlayStation 5.
  • Addressed performance issues in Beauclair and Novigrad that occurred after loading a gamesave.
VISUAL - PC and Next-Gen Exclusive

• Improved immersion of water appearance by adding refraction to SSR and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed a visual issue with brick textures where black artifacts covered stone arches.
  • Added a Motion Blur slider. It can be found in Options → Video → Graphics.
QUESTS & GAMEPLAY - Available on all platforms

• Battle Preparations - Fixed the lack of a dialogue option that would progress the quest during the objective "Let Avallac'h know everything's ready."
  • Reason of State - Fixed an issue where the door to the warehouse could become permanently locked if the player knocked, entered and then immediately left the building.
  • Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear Upgrade Diagrams Part 1 - Fixed an issue where the quest could stay active even after the diagrams were looted.
  • Fixed an issue where trying to start a New Game+ on an incompatible save would block the player from starting the expansions in standalone mode until the game was restarted.
LOCALIZATION - Available on all platforms

• Fixed an issue with the Korean localization of Ciri's and Geralt's Gwent card descriptions.
  • Fixed punctuation issues in Arabic localization.
  • Updated Traditional Chinese font.
Please note: these are only the most notable changes. The patch contains other minor fixes that didn't make it onto this list.

Wow they added ray traced reflections and on consoles too. Didn’t expect that. Nice to see the continued investment in features while they’re fixing the bugs.

CPU performance seems significantly improved for me. In that central square in Novagrad that DF used in their videos I'm now seeing over 30fps with everything maxed out. Previously it could dip into the low 20's. So I'm getting 60fps+ in that square now with FG on. Awesome stuff!

Back