The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are. Saying, 'this is ugly,' is not the same as saying, 'a different product is ugly,' so such remarks shouldn't been taken to mean as much. Similar if one sees a screenshot of a closeup of a poorly lit low-res texture in a game, one can remark that screenshot is ugly without that being a judgement on the entire game with a more realistic view. I get tired of people complaining about other's personal observations.

Except none of that has happened in this thread, or many others. People said GT5 was ugly based on the demo, they didn't say the demo was ugly. Also, I think we all know that more often than not, people don't say "That screenshot is ugly" they say "what an ugly game" (see: Killzone 2 first screen).

That said, I'm excited to see some more of the game at E3, I just hope it won't be a silly teaser trailer again.

I agree with patsu. Billboard trees, billboard smoke, billboard dust... these will look quite cheap in stereoscopic 3D.

I agree with patsu. Billboard trees, billboard smoke, billboard dust... these will look quite cheap in stereoscopic 3D.

Have you not seen stereoscopic 3D? Everything looks like it's a billboard. It is basically taking a bunch of pieces of an image (which are all 2D) and then giving them "depth" but essentially it's still 2D images on different "planes" so to speak. I don't think it'll really matter at all.

Have you not seen stereoscopic 3D? Everything looks like it's a billboard. It is basically taking a bunch of pieces of an image (which are all 2D) and then giving them "depth" but essentially it's still 2D images on different "planes" so to speak. I don't think it'll really matter at all.
Not true 3D, rendering the same scene from two viewpoints; only the faked 3D where a single view is converted into image+depth.

I agree, i almost felt insulted that they made me download that junk, i didn't even finish the lap. Turned it off and deleted it straight away. Waste of time and bandwidth.

It was for people who wanted to enter the competition - nothing more nothing less. It made that very clear on PSN - so your complaint is void of value.

Not true 3D, rendering the same scene from two viewpoints; only the faked 3D where a single view is converted into image+depth.

I think the closer you are to something the more true 3D the effect will be, for instance the planet in stardust is supposed to look great. The further in the distance something is the less information you get from looking at it from each angle and so your eyes rely more and more on visual cues like how an object is lit instead. If things in S3D are not lit properly the futher away they are the more they will look like cardboard cutouts rather than solid 3d objects. The good news is that current 3d games use lighting, shadows etc as there only tools to create a 3D effect and thus have got quite good at it, so it shouldnt be an issue. If an object looks 3D in 2D it should still look 3D in 3D, and the closer it is the more benefit it will recieve from the added information from S3D too look even better.

That's not true for billboard or simple-mesh trees. GT has always got away with simple tree models, but they will look like pieces of flat card stuck together in 3D, if the 3D is at all effective. Like a wardboard cutout of a person. Viewed from a distance it'll look convincing, but up close you know it's flat. Anywhere this gen that flat sprites have been used, such as crowds, will break in 3D if the player can get close enough.

It was for people who wanted to enter the competition - nothing more nothing less. It made that very clear on PSN - so your complaint is void of value.

Gee chill out! Sorry for not reading the small print - i saw "GT5 Demo", downloaded it, and thought it was rubbish. That's all. Only later i found out that it was all a scam... i mean... not really a demo.

That's not true for billboard or simple-mesh trees. GT has always got away with simple tree models, but they will look like pieces of flat card stuck together in 3D, if the 3D is at all effective. Like a wardboard cutout of a person. Viewed from a distance it'll look convincing, but up close you know it's flat. Anywhere this gen that flat sprites have been used, such as crowds, will break in 3D if the player can get close enough.

Yes, i was more agreeing with you that not everything will look like a billboard unlike tha_con suggested, ie 3D models shouldnt look like cutouts at distance if they are lit correctly and should look much better the closer they are. Obviously bilboards and other 2D object will look like 2D aswel in 3D, though even worse because of the aditional information you are getting from having two views, getting worse the closer they are. Essential 3D will bring out a games true colours, 3D objects will look more 3D and 2D objects will look more 2D with the strength of effect tied to distance for better or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually something of a problem. How do you get convincing 3D trees when they are such costly geometry to do right? I wonder is some sort of randomised displacement in the depth with maybe a second layer of billboard will work?

Have you seen MotorStorm 3D ?

I've seen MotorStorm, GT5, SSHD and some Blu-Ray footage in 3D at a Sony Style store.

In short, nothing had "real" depth, i.e. the ship didn't look like a 3D object. Having seen it first hand, I can tell you it will make no difference in 3D if the tree is "billboard" or not.

Certainly you guy's have to have been to a 3D movie within the last two years, right? Even Avatar, one of the best 3D movies yet still has the "billboard" look to it. Certainly no one here is confusing stereoscopic 3D with something more advanced...

In short, nothing had "real" depth, i.e. the ship didn't look like a 3D object. Having seen it first hand, I can tell you it will make no difference in 3D if the tree is "billboard" or not.

:oops: I thought the MotorStorm track is expansive and has good depth to it. When the buggy "flew" in the air, you can see stuff around it. I believe a part fell off in mid-air. All these look 3D to me.

I'd admit I didn't pay much attention to the MotorStorm trees. I'll go check it out again.

Certainly you guy's have to have been to a 3D movie within the last two years, right? Even Avatar, one of the best 3D movies yet still has the "billboard" look to it. Certainly no one here is confusing stereoscopic 3D with something more advanced...

Not all has billboard look to it though. What is "something more advanced" ? ^_^

Gee chill out! Sorry for not reading the small print - i saw "GT5 Demo", downloaded it, and thought it was rubbish. That's all. Only later i found out that it was all a scam... i mean... not really a demo.

It wasn't written "GT5DEMO" but "GT Academy 2010 Time Trial",your mind has read GT5 DEMO...:LOL:

That's not what we've read. Such as Super Stardust - the globe looks like a globe - they're not on levels. And I don't believe Avatar has a billboard look at all - Alice in Wonderland does - but not Avatar.

Chill out? I was making a calm correction. It was titled "GT5 Academy Time Trial" - nowhere on PSN was it said that it was a demo. Maybe you could have played it and enter a fast time, noticing the new physics system...which is what really mattered.

I think there was a mention of GT5 demo somewhere (SCEE or SCEI). As I recall, only SCEA refused to acknowledge it as a demo. Anyway, what difference does it make ? The event is over, and people have seen better screens/trailer/gameplay since then. ^_^

I think there was a mention of GT5 demo somewhere (SCEE or SCEI). As I recall, only SCEA refused to acknowledge it as a demo. Anyway, what difference does it make ? The event is over, and people have seen better screens/trailer/gameplay since then. ^_^

Or before then...Prologue looked better.

Umm... We see stereoscopic 3D every time we look at the work through both our eyes...

Like shifty says, the "billboard" effect is the result of fake/inferred stereoscopic 3D.

Shifty Geezer said:
GT has always got away with simple tree models, but they will look like pieces of flat card stuck together in 3D, if the 3D is at all effective. Like a wardboard cutout of a person. Viewed from a distance it'll look convincing, but up close you know it's flat. Anywhere this gen that flat sprites have been used, such as crowds, will break in 3D if the player can get close enough.

I'm most concerned with the billboards used for cloud and smoke in the game, since the player can get very close to, even drive through, them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back