The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, that demo loses its purpose right after the GT5 Academy competition. It's only released to run the racing event.

I thought the game was pretty ugly when I played the time trial demo, but playing in 3D would be pretty darn cool. Can't afford to buy all the hardware right now, and I'm a little skeptical about what it'll do to my vision/brain, but it's definitely something I'd like to try out. Racing games are the perfect genre for 3D. A flight sim would also be real nice.

It's a stretch to call the game ugly. A big stretch.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Pretty sure that talk has run its course in this thread already.

Well, I look forward to seeing you call tons of next generation titles (especially ones I know you're a big fan of) "ugly".

Look, it's one thing to critique a game, it's another to be completely jaded. The game isn't ugly. If GT5 is ugly, then I guess every visual block buster on consoles this generation is ugly.

I wouldn't call the academy demo ugly, but it was a little bland. That said, the purpose wasn't to show off GT5, it was for a competition and to show off the new physics. We've seen huge improvements to the visuals since then, and from what I've seen, it is easily the best looking racer I've seen (IMHO).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I look forward to seeing you call tons of next generation titles (especially ones I know you're a big fan of) "ugly".

Look, it's one thing to critique a game, it's another to be completely jaded. The game isn't ugly. If GT5 is ugly, then I guess every visual block buster on consoles this generation is ugly.

I really agree with Scott here...for me the graphics in the demo was an ultra shock, worse than I remember GT5 Prologue graphics.

As I did not have seen GT5 final graphics yet, I won't judge it...but I saw the demo, and it was ugly (IMO of course)!

PS: I did the same as london-b.

Hey guys,do you really think this ridiculous 200Mb file is representative of what's gonna be the game finally??Come on,you're smarter than that...;)

I really agree with Scott here...for me the graphics in the demo was an ultra shock, worse than I remember GT5 Prologue graphics.

As I did not have seen GT5 final graphics yet, I won't judge it...but I saw the demo, and it was ugly (IMO of course)!

PS: I did the same as london-b.

Is just the contrast between promox bullshots and realtime ingame play graphics. Heh! :smile:

Not in this case. Again, the academy was not a good representation of what GT5 is going to look like. Recent footage blows the academy out of the water as far as visuals, plus there's still months until release. Those promo shots, while obviously touched up, is probably a better representation of what GT5 will look like.

Not in this case. Again, the academy was not a good representation of what GT5 is going to look like. Recent footage blows the academy out of the water as far as visuals, plus there's still months until release. Those promo shots, while obviously touched up, is probably a better representation of what GT5 will look like.

It was good enough for me, but yeah, it's not meant as a showcase piece. Environments mean a lot. Like this stuff I shot off-screen from GT5 Prologue.

It's good to remember there's only so much you can do in 1280x1080p at 60fps with HDR and 4xMSAA and 16 cars on screen though. ;)

For me personally, some tracks in Motorstorm 2 are visually more exciting than GT5 Prologue is ever going to be, but that's also a matter of taste. For me in GT5 it's good enough as it is - more important to have the features in place (online 16 player), and above all, getting the damn game out!

Still I'm really curious how well they manage to pull off that 3D and at what price (apart from delaying the game one or two years, probably).

Hey guys,do you really think this ridiculous 200Mb file is representative of what's gonna be the game finally??Come on,you're smarter than that...
Yes, they are. Saying, 'this is ugly,' is not the same as saying, 'a different product is ugly,' so such remarks shouldn't been taken to mean as much. Similar if one sees a screenshot of a closeup of a poorly lit low-res texture in a game, one can remark that screenshot is ugly without that being a judgement on the entire game with a more realistic view. I get tired of people complaining about other's personal observations.

Is just the contrast between promox bullshots and realtime ingame play graphics. Heh! :smile:

He he...I just thought about this: it would be quite cool, if a publisher decided to show bad "anti-bullshot" pics...with a lot of stuff missing the actual game features :oops:
Because then, when people see the actual demo, reviewer judge the graphics...they would all go nuts and automatically say that the graphics is much improved and it looks good now - i.e. positive press :smile:

Yes, they are. Saying, 'this is ugly,' is not the same as saying, 'a different product is ugly,' so such remarks shouldn't been taken to mean as much. Similar if one sees a screenshot of a closeup of a poorly lit low-res texture in a game, one can remark that screenshot is ugly without that being a judgement on the entire game with a more realistic view. I get tired of people complaining about other's personal observations.

Specifically, the Academy demo had very poor environment. A later revision showed a much improved track:
http://www.ps3blog.net/2010/02/12/track-detail-in-gt5-vastly-improved-over-gt-prologue/

The Colisseum shot also showed a different but very sophisticated track:
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5-will-be-totally-different-from-prologue/

Plus, the Academy demo was only a time trial. So I didn't see any other cars on the track at all. In a nutshell, there was nothing to gawk at. The only attraction was the new driving model and physics engine.

Like Arwin, I am curious how they are going to squeeze so many things into GT5 in so little frame time. I thought some of the backdrop are 2D sprites, so what will happen if they go stereoscopic 3D ? ^_^

Like Arwin, I am curious how they are going to squeeze so many things into GT5 in so little frame time. I thought some of the backdrop are 2D sprites, so what will happen if they go stereoscopic 3D ? ^_^

Nothing. They will only have depth according to their distance., And if they are TOO far away it wont make a difference if they are sprites or polygons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back