The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats your problem? You know just aswell as me that there are plenty of arcade racers that run on 30fps and go for better graphics instead.

Just because a few arcade racers that do run on 60fps, doesn't change the fact that there are plenty that dont.
My problem (?) is you ignoring all the franchises I just listed, and giving no examples to support your assertion that 30fps is standard and 60fps arcade racers are few. The best-selling arcade racer of this generation (Mario Kart Wii) is 60fps.

I dont think there is a standard framerate for arcade and sims. We get 30 and 60fps in boh worlds depending on what the developers what to achieve. GT and Forza though are 60fps as standard for obvious reasons

Yeah, but those who don't are crap and unsuccesful.

Yeah, PGR, NFS, Grid, Dirt, ++++ all of those titles had crappy sales :rolleyes:

My problem (?) is you ignoring all the franchises I just listed, and giving no examples to support your assertion that 30fps is standard and 60fps arcade racers are few..

My originial statement was related to graphics. I said That there is no reason for why an arcade title shouldn't be able to have those kind of graphics, simply because arcade racers tend to run at lower framerates than 60fps.

You mentioning a couple franchises that run at 60fps doesn't change that fact. There are plenty of very well selling arcade racing franchises that dont run at 60fps. NFS, Grid, Dirt, PGR to mention a few. (maybe pgr now runs at 60? i dunno i never got into pgr4)

All of those can probably reach the level of graphics that GT has (there is no reason why not at 30fps).

That was the whole point of my post. You mentioning a couple titles that focus on 60fps doesn't really add anything to that topic. Also, im quite sure that if you actually start counting, you will find that there are plenty plenty more arcade racers that are 30fps than 60fps this generation (not that this changes anything)

The best-selling arcade racer of this generation (Mario Kart Wii) is 60fps

So what? How is this possibly related to the topic at hand?

The more interviews we get, the less we know about the game...
Either they're cooking something big under wraps, or GT5 has endured a tortured development process...

Arcade, to me, has always implied 60fps, because the original arcade game loops were tied to the 60 Hz refresh rate of NTSC. Even the first 3D games (Atari's Hard Drivin'g, Sega's Virtua Figher) that stretched the hardware at the time had graphics simplified in order to maintain 60fps. The first non-60fps arcade games that I can recall were Midway's (Mortal Kombat, SF Rush), and they were quite jarring to me.

Back when Sega was ruling arcades with Model 2 and Model 3 hardware, those 60fps games caught the eye from across the room, and drew people in. There's an attractive appeal to screens refreshing at 60fps, and Criterion, Sega, Namco, and Nintendo swear by it in their racers. Most of these arcade-style racers would probably play fine with lower framerates, but when games like WipEout, F-Zero, and Ridge Racer are moving the scenery by too quickly to scrutinize, you've got to appreciate what the 60fps refresh rate does for their aesthetics.

Arcade, to me, has always implied 60fps, because the original arcade game loops were tied to the 60 Hz refresh rate of NTSC. Even the first 3D games (Atari's Hard Drivin'g, Sega's Virtua Figher) that stretched the hardware at the time had graphics simplified in order to maintain 60fps. The first non-60fps arcade games that I can recall were Midway's (Mortal Kombat, SF Rush), and they were quite jarring to me.

Virtua fighter ran at 30? VF2 ran at 60.

GT5 3D was highlighted in the 3D Gaming Summit:
http://www.gamerlive.tv/3d-gaming-summit

It's a little tricky to find the video.

In the list of video below the video panel, look for the entry that says:
"3D Gran Turismo 5 Preview".

It looks like SCEA GT5 Producer, Taku Imasaki, is confirming that GT5 will have 3D support.

[Look around for Sony Ninjas and official denial to appear]
[size=-2]Any time now.[/size]

Gah. i was hoping to play this during the summer. Doesn't look like this is going to happen

Maybe you can. Just not this years summer. :???:

Is there any official release date yet or have they been taken back? I thought this was coming out in April in Japan...

I thought the game was pretty ugly when I played the time trial demo, but playing in 3D would be pretty darn cool. Can't afford to buy all the hardware right now, and I'm a little skeptical about what it'll do to my vision/brain, but it's definitely something I'd like to try out. Racing games are the perfect genre for 3D. A flight sim would also be real nice.

I thought the game was pretty ugly when I played the time trial demo

That's probably why SCEA refused to acknowledge it as a demo. It was meant to support GT5 Academy when it's not completed yet.

I'm really curious to see what they need to sacrifice to push so many features.

The time trial demo had a track that wasn't visually the most exciting, as actual race tracks seldom feature beautiful scenery or buildings at trackside.

The time trial demo had a track that wasn't visually the most exciting, as actual race tracks seldom feature beautiful scenery or buildings at trackside.

I agree, i almost felt insulted that they made me download that junk, i didn't even finish the lap. Turned it off and deleted it straight away. Waste of time and bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back