Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

So no led on the playstation logo, that moves to the power button. I'm interested to see how cheap they'll go on the pricing.

Last edited:
Except it wasn't either sloppy or lazy. It had a different design goal than the PS4 [edit: oops meant PS4, had PS3 in there before the edit]. Extremely low acoustics to fit a potentially quiet living room to enable media playback without the intrusion of sounds from the device. To that end the design was brilliantly executed, marred by only one thing. The small fan used in the external PSU meant that quality control was exceedingly important. It wasn't quite up to what it should have been and some few people got external PSU's with noticeable sounds from its tiny fan.

The XBO-S follows the exact same design principles, except that they included the PSU in the case. And unlike many systems where the PSU is included, the PSU is cooled by cool air from outside the case.

Contrast this to the PS4 where the PSU is cooled by the hot air from the CPU cooler. However, the Slim PS4 design seems to address this, as it appears that the air cooling the Slim PS4's PSU is unpolluted by the hot air from the CPU cooler. That likely helps with the reduction in internal volume as you can use 2 smaller fans (lower in height) versus one larger fan. As the airflow required will be less for the PSU (cool air versus hot air) and presumably less for the SOC (assuming SOC is on a smaller process).

Regards,
SB
What? 2 fans? Where did that come from?

We can see the (usual) bulge of the fan on the side near the USB ports, exactly where it's already on original PS4. Based on the width of the slim, the fan looks just slightly smaller than OG PS4, so quite big for a 2 fans device, but perfectly enough for a 16nm APU.

jpg

It's the usual Sony design, the air is coming from the sides and is expelled at the back, cooling the PSU. We can see a big vent on the back under the output ports, just where the PSU would be, like on PS4, near the power input.
jpg

Make fake Indonesia psn. a year is only 25 usd. But it have very little psn discounts.

Best discounts still on PSN us.
A year of PSN games and the instant game library is worth the $60 asking price, no? Plus is it discounted at stores? Official UK price is £40 but you can get it for £35 at some places. £35 for a couple dozen games (and way more if you play Vita and PS3) is actually ludicrously good value. Should also start to see the older big name titles appearing before too long.

Is there a way to directly transfer your old data to a new PS4, or do you still need to have a detachable HDD to which you first backup the old PS4 and then restore to the new?
I know just downloading everything from your library and saves from the cloud is now easier than it was with PS3, but for example if I want to keep my copy of P.T. I need to do it via a backup.

First I wonder if SONY will continue to use the brand "PSVITA"^^. Maybe the handheld will be re-branded.

Talking about the SOC of PSP Neo (?), we know that vita's SOC is quad-core A9+ SGX543 with very low frequency @ 45nm. What will sony do about next SOC? Do nothing? Or shrinking it to cheap process like 28 nm and clocking at higher frequency?

Of course I wish SONY can design a new SOC but they have to pay license fee for new POWER VR, right?

Is there a way to directly transfer your old data to a new PS4, or do you still need to have a detachable HDD to which you first backup the old PS4 and then restore to the new?
I know just downloading everything from your library and saves from the cloud is now easier than it was with PS3, but for example if I want to keep my copy of P.T. I need to do it via a backup.

FW 4.0 feature:
20160823123446uexz9.png

That'd be great! But are you sure it still doesn't ask for an external HDD if you start that transfer?
Edit: apparently as there is still the old Backup and Restore selection, the Transfer Data from Another PS4 does just that, no extra HDD needed, Yay!!

Last edited:
What? 2 fans? Where did that come from?

We can see the (usual) bulge of the fan on the side near the USB ports, exactly where it's already on original PS4. Based on the width of the slim, the fan looks just slightly smaller than OG PS4, so quite big for a 2 fans device, but perfectly enough for a 16nm APU.

And flanking that bulge are extra vents that don't exist on the current PS4.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...eculations-and-news.58324/page-2#post-1936810

Using pictures from that post.

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2...legedly_leak_online/attachment/8/original.jpg

Extra ventilation slots added at the right rear directly over the HDD cage.

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2...egedly_leak_online/attachment/10/original.jpg

Shows the ventilation slots added by the bulge. It's hard to see as the picture is quite dark but there are also ventilation slots added exactly where the PSU is located.

Those are, of course, needed as there is massively less exhaust ventilation at the rear of the device compared to the current PS4.

No one outside of Sony having seen the interior of the device yet, means I'm purely speculating about the existence of a second fan, of course. Just like speculation exists that there is only 1 fan. Both are equally valid until we get a look inside the device. The first picture you have with the bulge does change my view a bit. The picture I was using, which I linked, was too dark for the bulge to be evident.

As I mentioned in the thread, I'm greatly curious to see the inside to see how they've routed the airflow. As it stands, it's quite obvious that all of the air is unlikely to be exhausted purely out of the rear of the device. Depending on how they designed it, those could either be air intakes or air exhausts.

With the clearer picture of the front right side of the machine that you posted. I'm now speculating that the front right added vents will be air intake, while both the right rear and left rear added vents will be for exhaust. So likely a single fan design again. A shame then, the PSU will again be cooled with hot air from the CPU, a cheaper but noisier solution.

Regards,
SB

Those are, of course, needed as there is massively less exhaust ventilation at the rear of the device compared to the current PS4.
The size of the rear vent is difficult to accurately tell from these poorly lit images, but IMO, it does not seem so small it would be a hindrance. Airflow through even a launch PS4 like mine is fairly small, so a possibly evolved fin-fet version could likely do with much less.

A shame then, the PSU will again be cooled with hot air from the CPU, a cheaper but noisier solution.
Blah. It's either cool the PSU with exhaust air, or pre-heat intake air with it, thus making the SoC run hotter and rev the fan harder that way. It's a zero-sum game.

@Shifty Geezer

The games that give for PS plus most of the time are ganes thst I would never buy.

ages ago PS plus have lots of nice games for Ps vita. But most of the times, they don't.

It is a good value for those that like small games though.

That'd be great! But are you sure it still doesn't ask for an external HDD if you start that transfer?
Edit: apparently as there is still the old Backup and Restore selection, the Transfer Data from Another PS4 does just that, no extra HDD needed, Yay!!

Hopefully this is true. And hopefully this menu also allows for easy transfer to external USB, just like xbox 360.

they better show some games at that conference (running on the neo and not PC) I hope they play smart and 1080P screen owners will benefit as much as 4K set owners.I still think targeting highest possible resolutions is dumb in a way that,better visuals at solid 30 or 60fps is what i would like to see.(Yes I understand that higher resolution also means a more detailed picture but you'll probably sacrifice some beautiful effects/physics that would've been possible at 1080P and I do care about that because these effects can give you better immersion)

Last edited:
And flanking that bulge are extra vents that don't exist on the current PS4.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...eculations-and-news.58324/page-2#post-1936810

Using pictures from that post.

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2...legedly_leak_online/attachment/8/original.jpg

Extra ventilation slots added at the right rear directly over the HDD cage.

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2...egedly_leak_online/attachment/10/original.jpg

Shows the ventilation slots added by the bulge. It's hard to see as the picture is quite dark but there are also ventilation slots added exactly where the PSU is located.

No one outside of Sony having seen the interior of the device yet, means I'm purely speculating about the existence of a second fan, of course. Just like speculation exists that there is only 1 fan. Both are equally valid until we get a look inside the device. The first picture you have with the bulge does change my view a bit. The picture I was using, which I linked, was too dark for the bulge to be evident.

As I mentioned in the thread, I'm greatly curious to see the inside to see how they've routed the airflow. As it stands, it's quite obvious that all of the air is unlikely to be exhausted purely out of the rear of the device. Depending on how they designed it, those could either be air intakes or air exhausts.

With the clearer picture of the front right side of the machine that you posted. I'm now speculating that the front right added vents will be air intake, while both the right rear and left rear added vents will be for exhaust. So likely a single fan design again. A shame then, the PSU will again be cooled with hot air from the CPU, a cheaper but noisier solution.

Regards,
SB
Clearly you don't have a PS4, do you? The OG PS4 doesn't need those small vertical vents on the left and right side of the bulge because it already has 2 big horizontal rows of vents 'up' and 'down' inside both the 'hamburger' sides. And those sides seem larger than on Slim too.

ibnlIl4.jpg

pQFvH5t.jpg

Back