Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

Almost all 1080p HDMI TVs have optical or digital out. So, connecting the TV to the Amp is all you need if your amp does not support HDMI.
Besides, S/Pdif does not support HD audio, and you need HDMI for that.

London-Boy wrote "optical audio", most probably for multi-speaker surround using Dolby Digital AC3 or DTS.
I'm not so sure that most TVs have an optical out (my 50" 1080p plasma doesn't AFAIK) and I'm also not sure all the ones with optical can pass-through those compressed proprietary signals or if it's just for stereo PCM.

oBpVct8.jpg

I really don't get why people think this is ugly. I think this is the best looking slim in par with PSone.

it doesn't look 'ugly' or cheap to me.It looks slick,handy and I like it. Its possible some people expected shiny black/white on top.

I really don't get why people think this is ugly.
It's not ugly at all. I think it looks great, tbh. The buttons could have been capacitive, and the logo should have lit up like the light bar of OG PS4, but other than that it's a nice console. Way better than PS2, whose guts I hated for the longest time, until the shape finally grew on me. ;)

PSOne was too doughy-lumpy IMO to really look good. It had the appearance of a cheap toy to my eyes (which it basically was, tbh). This is way better.

The only thing that would make it a bit nicer is if that PS logo had an led backlight. Yeah it would be kinda apple-ish but I think it would look awesome.

If SONY decides to increase GPU clock, then it is for marketing reason. The clock should go to 868 MHz (or higher ), then PS4 slim will have > 2TF performance, which can differentiate Xb1s enough.

But AMD only has three new design wins. If PS4 slim is not a design win of AMD, how can SONY change the process to 16/14nm to clock higher?

London-Boy wrote "optical audio", most probably for multi-speaker surround using Dolby Digital AC3 or DTS.
I'm not so sure that most TVs have an optical out (my 50" 1080p plasma doesn't AFAIK) and I'm also not sure all the ones with optical can pass-through those compressed proprietary signals or if it's just for stereo PCM.
This.

If SONY decides to increase GPU clock, then it is for marketing reason. The clock should go to 868 MHz (or higher ), then PS4 slim will have > 2TF performance, which can differentiate Xb1s enough.

Better to increase CPU clock if they have the headroom.

But AMD only has three new design wins. If PS4 slim is not a design win of AMD, how can SONY change the process to 16/14nm to clock higher?
The slims for either console may not even be part of the new design wins - covered in the original contracts.

Perhaps simply Neo, Scorpio, and unnamed Arm chip.

The NSA group :runaway:

And flanking that bulge are extra vents that don't exist on the current PS4.
As I mentioned in the thread, I'm greatly curious to see the inside to see how they've routed the airflow. As it stands, it's quite obvious that all of the air is unlikely to be exhausted purely out of the rear of the device. Depending on how they designed it, those could either be air intakes or air exhausts.

With the clearer picture of the front right side of the machine that you posted. I'm now speculating that the front right added vents will be air intake, while both the right rear and left rear added vents will be for exhaust. So likely a single fan design again. A shame then, the PSU will again be cooled with hot air from the CPU, a cheaper but noisier solution.
Imagine anything you want, but the intuitive assumptions you rely on have no basis in reality. Each part needing cooling have very different requirement so it's not nearly as simple as "the PSU gets hot air". What's happening is the opposite of your claims.

Power supply mosfets/rectifiers are 175C max temp. Caps are rated 105C and they have an inconsequential thermal resistance (because they don't generate much heat, and have a lot of area). Transformers also have high thermal limits. Having 60C air means the caps are around 60C operating, which is perfect as long as caps don't touch a hot heat sink, and as long as there's some flow preventing the mosfet/xformer heat from accumulating. Very high efficiency PS is another way to take the PS out of the equation. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Some are wasteful and some are ideally balanced.

What dictates the design is the die-to-air thermal resistance of the SoC because of it's thermal density. It's the most difficult part to cool and the most sensitive to air temperature at the highest wattage because the deltaT is significant. If the power supply is creating 10% of the system heat, feeding this additional heat to the SoC reduces the cooling efficiency. It's also exponential.

TL;DR
At high wattage, the die will reach it's thermal limits before the outlet air is too hot for the power supply. The PS4 design rely on this, and balancing this correctly means the power supply is cooled "for free".

Close up of the power button
Cqjxl3rWIAAkY6j.jpg

This guy also says that new DS has same 1000mah battery, but he haven't changed it yet during 48 hours of owning the console, and there are still 2 power bars

The slim power supply input label is 220-240v @ 0.8A
In comparison the PS4 fat power supply was 100-240 @ 2.5A

Making it somewhere around a 175W power supply specs... If they designed with similar margins for efficiency, the ballpark would be 105W peak versus the fat peaking at 151W (from it's 250W PS).

Slim will be lower than that. I expect it to land at around 65-80W.

According to Digital Foundry, CUH12xx console peaks at around 116W.

Why increase the clock? It serves no real purpose other than potentially introducing more bugs. The only reason to consider it IMO is because MS did it with their slim, but historically consoles haven't been upgraded when they've been shrunk, ensuring the same experience for all customers. Any gains would likely be too small to be worth it, yet large enough to annoy existing recent purchasers of the old model who'll feel short changed.

Ps4 fat matte is faster than PS4 fat glossy though. Specifically in boot time, wake up time, and menu responsiveness

Back