Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

I bet this thing will look even better in a vertical position since it is so compact in terms of it's "thickness".

That'd be great! But are you sure it still doesn't ask for an external HDD if you start that transfer?
Edit: apparently as there is still the old Backup and Restore selection, the Transfer Data from Another PS4 does just that, no extra HDD needed, Yay!!

It must be like ps3. In some later ps3 firmware updates it got the network transfer feature.

oBpVct8.jpg

I really don't get why people think this is ugly. I think this is the best looking slim in par with PSone.

What are the chances PS4 slim is using smaller transistor size like 14/16nm?

If that's the case I don't see how this wouldn't have even a slight gpu boost. Even if the Sony just went 50MHz from 800 -> 850 that would put it at 1.95TF.

What are the chances PS4 slim is using smaller transistor size like 14/16nm?

If that's the case I don't see how this wouldn't have even a slight gpu boost. Even if the Sony just went 50MHz from 800 -> 850 that would put it at 1.95TF.
Why? It's meaningless. Sony has Neo.

oBpVct8.jpg

I really don't get why people think this is ugly. I think this is the best looking slim in par with PSone.
well, if you look upon it favourably... I think PS coolest design was the PS1 overall. By a large margin, in fact. PS2 was okay. After that, every PS console got uglier

Why increase the clock? It serves no real purpose other than potentially introducing more bugs. The only reason to consider it IMO is because MS did it with their slim, but historically consoles haven't been upgraded when they've been shrunk, ensuring the same experience for all customers. Any gains would likely be too small to be worth it, yet large enough to annoy existing recent purchasers of the old model who'll feel short changed.

I think this slim leak smells awfully like a marketing stunt. I think they're getting much more coverage and chatter by slowly dripping information versus one day of coverage at the event and overshadowed by Neo.

Generates interest. "That vid got pulled? What was it?! Where can I see a copy? (all over the web)"

Not saying it's true, but it'd work. However, I don't think it's a fake leak because of the circumstances. The story scans like a Joe Shmoe buying something and telling the world. I don't think it'd be safe for Sony to pay a Joe Shmoe, unless this was an elaborate set-up involving a marketing firm and professional 'actor'. Sony could have got the same attention with factory or developer leaks.

I think it looks fine.

Why increase the clock? It serves no real purpose other than potentially introducing more bugs. The only reason to consider it IMO is because MS did it with their slim, but historically consoles haven't been upgraded when they've been shrunk, ensuring the same experience for all customers. Any gains would likely be too small to be worth it, yet large enough to annoy existing recent purchasers of the old model who'll feel short changed.

PS2 saw a minor increase in clock in a later revision. There was a paper about how they achieved a better design methodology, so maybe that case was simply engineering pride. XD

Anyways, it's probably worth keeping in mind that the Xbox GPU overclock also increased the scratchpad bandwidth.

Last edited:

I thought MS did it for a specific reason that when playing a HDR game they needed extra compute to also render out a non HDR image for screen shots and DVR. Turning on hdr mode should not have a negative effect on performance and because of legacy requirements there was a cost to HDR outside the game.

The change is they allowed this boost mode to run all the time as they found it did not interfere with existing games , probably simpler and a win all round other than slightly difficult messaging at the outset.

Lack of optical audio out is very odd. That's how millions of people still get surround sound.
Almost all 1080p HDMI TVs have optical or digital out. So, connecting the TV to the Amp is all you need if your amp does not support HDMI.
Besides, S/Pdif does not support HD audio, and you need HDMI for that.
I know, it´s a loss, but i dont consider this a catastrophe.
Unfortunatly those who really need, will have to buy something like this.

Back