videos of Next-Gen Sonic, AfterBurner, Virtua Fighter, HotD

Sonic said:
Arcade boards aren't close to $5,000 by today's standards. I think the beefed up Xbox board was only around $400 to produce. The cabinets are still a bit pricy, but that isn't saying much.

Yea its a beefed up xbox board . A cutting edge platform for aracdes can still go up to 10k in price for the boards

An arcade board costing 10K to manufacture with mass production parts, especially PowerVR parts, would be generations ahead of the consoles in performance, but Sega Sammy have been pursuing a focus on relative affordability for their arcade systems even at the high-end.

Evil_Cloud:
So these demo's were running on a modified dual core G5 system...
PowerPC swept the console and now the arcade market?

From a time standpoint, I think PowerPC chips hit arcade hardware first, then home systems. Arcades, with the Arcade Model 3 boards (PowerPC 603E, I think) and Konami's board that was released a few years later (can't remember it's name... only had a fighter and a racing game AFAICR), then the consoles with the 3D-O M2 hardware (two PowerPC 602C? CPUs). Since that was never formally released (it does exist and there are games for it, but very few) we'll move on to the GameCube... so chronologically PowerPC CPUs reached arcade before home machines as far as I know.

Later

sunscar said:
From a time standpoint, I think PowerPC chips hit arcade hardware first, then home systems. Arcades, with the Arcade Model 3 boards (PowerPC 603E, I think) and Konami's board that was released a few years later (can't remember it's name... only had a fighter and a racing game AFAICR), then the consoles with the 3D-O M2 hardware (two PowerPC 602C? CPUs). Since that was never formally released (it does exist and there are games for it, but very few) we'll move on to the GameCube... so chronologically PowerPC CPUs reached arcade before home machines as far as I know.

Later

There was Pippin.

sunscar:
Konami's board that was released a few years later (can't remember it's name... only had a fighter and a racing game AFAICR)
That was the Cobra arcade system, linkable with up to five boards each rated at 1M-tri/sec. The games were Fighting Wushu/Bujitsu and Racing Jam.

the quality and credibility of the Cobra board all fell through when it became known that it was using 3Dfx chips.

1 million polygons per second on Cobra is not on par with 1 million polygons per second on Model 3. either in realworld quantity, or quality.

Back