What can we reasonably expect from next gen graphics?

I agree, I want a damn circle damnit!!!

I thought we where past the days when a circular object consisted of 16 sides, nothing irretates me more then seeing a wheel in todays games that has the same amount of polygons as last generation. Or a elbow with a sharp edge, a pointed chin, a 8 sided muzzle..etc etc.

I understand to create a perfect circle would take a heck of a lot of poly's and that they need to balance their budget but certain objects stick out like a sore thumb and negate any other placement of poly's dedicated it to instead.

Next generation I'm hoping the amount of poly's or other tech allows for round objects to appear round...damnit!

The Nvidia presentation somehow forgets to mention other, performance related considerations with tesselation and displacement mapping, or how complicated it can be to author for two separate paths (disp enabled and standard)...

The Nvidia presentation somehow forgets to mention other, performance related considerations with tesselation and displacement mapping, or how complicated it can be to author for two separate paths (disp enabled and standard)...

I think these issues are only a problem with lazy developers.

If that Unigine demo is what to be expected of the nextgen graphics, then I would be very disappointed judging from its features. Sure it's got FP32 HDR but so did some current gen games, sure it has high quality SSAO but they aren't that much more noticeable than the ones used in current gen games neither.

Well it remains to be seen in games using the engine. As one can see with engines is that the visuals differ greatly as to how they are used. It still stands that Unigine has many advanced tech features and liighting yet to be found in anything but console techdemos and then only a handfull of the effects. Btw I think it said 64bit HDr so that means FP16 not FP32 which is 128bit. FP16 alone is already nice and to think barely any consoel game has 64bit HDr if any. MOSt are some 32bit solutions or better with other compromises. Ofcourse higher HDr like 128bit (FP32) is not a formula that will magically make any game prettier but it being used in the best looking titles says quite a bit though (Crysis, Arma2, Far Cry 2 (PC version, console use 'HDr hack' or 'fake HDr') etc).

I'm more impressed by Cryengine 3.0 to be honest and specifically the "Nextgen ready" features .
http://tinypic.com/r/2r40r5f/6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNmeKp6CxXI
If this is what nextgen would look like on consoles or PC for that matter, then we are already there more or less.

That is true as the 'Nextgen ready' parts already looks like Crysis with custom TODs. Even on high settings with godrays like below. Though it will be interesting to see if next batch of console hardware will be able to acheive this depeding on what budget they have.

Im working on it j/k, well sorta I was last night looking at making some glowing trees. Dont know if Ill go with it though
http://www.zedzeek.com/junk/KEA_2010-01-15_0.jpg

Is that the Megatron game or demo with some new assets by you? Think I saw this or something similar back in 96 for 3DFX Voodoo chip, looked quite OK then.

EDIT: CE3..CE2 whatever it only needs to look like this. Even budget hardware will run it smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nvidia presentation somehow forgets to mention other, performance related considerations with tesselation and displacement mapping, or how complicated it can be to author for two separate paths...
Well on consoles, they can target displacement. That's one issue addressed at least.

Back