Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Nice!

The game looks great and based on the reputation of past Insomniac games it should be a blast to play. The short pan of the city with the flying cars was very impressive, and the scene with the giant robot was hectic. The game seems to be running very smooth with a boat load of objects on screen, combined with its unique style and excellent lighting it looks like Ratchet and Clank Future is going to be one hell of a pretty game.

I wonder if the city will be an actual world / hub that the player uses access other environments in the game? I hope most of the world is accessible to player as it would be a shame for all of those pretty backdrops to go unused.

Hmm... actually I'm more drawn to their game mechanics...

Disco-ball grenade ? :LOL: Would love to see the enemies dance to the disco light in unison.

Disco-ball grenade ? :LOL: Would love to see the enemies dance to the disco light in unison.

Wasn't that done like 20 years ago in SEGA's MJ Moonwalker? :LOL:

Anyway the game's visual style tries to be too much like that Robots CGI movie IMO.

Well I am going to lynch you! Why are shooters the only triple-A system sellers in the world? How the hell does Nintendo sell consoles without a big showing of these? Or is it that only shooters are system-sellers above $400? If so, where's your research which shows that? AFAIK systems selling at $500+ are pretty much an unknown, so quite how anyone can know what single title will sell that to people is beyond me.
I think PC gamers, who are mostly FPS players, are more used to expensive upgrades so shooters may very well be the only "heavy system" sellers.
I am curios though, whether early xbox buyers included many PC gamers or not. That said, I used to play a lot of FPSes and didn't see anything special in Halo (PC).

(On topic,) I am just glad they have self-shadowing in R&C, but by far the real seller for me is the disco ball weapon :).

I was talking about the look for game. Did R&C 1 look like Robots movie? Did 2? Did 3?

1. Okay, we got that.
2. Yeah it did.
3. Uhuh, sure did.
4. And another nodd.

So what you're saying is Ratchet and Clank - Future: ToD tries to be visually too much like a movie, that tried to look visually too much like Ratchet and Clank 1 did two or three years before said movie came out? Riiight.

Makes sense.

Seriously, this has been the style of R and C since the first iteration - Quipping over how this game so totally coppies a movie that ripped off a few of its prequels is just pointless, and grasping at straws.

That's probably because there's more to all the games than one tiny little section - The movie in question, however is pretty homogeneous throughout.

You can't just rely upon a few videos. You have to actually go out and play these games before you can say a handful of videos are indicative of the entire experience.

I urge you to do just that. The games are not the be-all end-all experience, but they're good titles. Go rent em or something, and you'll see they're not trying to copycat anything, they're just trying to keep with the theme they began with around five iterations ago. "Robots", on the otherhand, appears to be atleast a little inspired by the Ratchet and Clank series, so if anything, IT is the guilty copycat.

It looks great! This could very well be a system seller for me when it comes out. I can't see me not playing this through. R&C series has always had great humour, gameplay and funny gadgets and according to 1up show it's going back to it's roots with more platforming than in it's direct predecessors which is...Super awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, 3DO? Neo-Geo? :)
And which of those systems did anyone sell? Selling's not the same as releasing :p

@ Eagle-Vision : Can you please explain what you're seeing in the textures that's so bad? I'm not seeing any problems. Detail is a little soft (as seen in the rocks for example) but that's neceesary for the art style. Highly sampled textures would look wrong in that situation. Things like the trees look very good to me.

And having this confirmed as realtime in the 1UP movie is pretty :oops: . Also the humour is wicked!

And which of those systems did anyone sell? Selling's not the same as releasing :p

3DO sold 6 million consoles. Not bad a for a console primarily in the US at a price that, adjusted for inflation, would've come close to around $1,100 today. ;)

Neo Geo around 1 million consoles. Also not too bad considering you were basically buying the arcade hardware, with each cartridge being an arcade board. :)

Art style or not, all textures lack detail.
But highly detailed textures wouldn't look right. Even if it's a technical limit, given an infinitely powerful console you wouldn't throw super-detailed textures into this game. It has a soft look, like hand-painted textures as used in a CG rendering, and it needs that. The textures that are there aren't obviously pixelated or showing filtered texels in these pics. There's no texture shimmer/aliasing that I noticed in the footage, and it doesn't appear to be in want of AF either. So apart from not being highly detailed, which I put down to being an art choice though you might disagree, technologically speaking it seems to me as strong in the texturing as elsewhere.

Back