videos of Next-Gen Sonic, AfterBurner, Virtua Fighter, HotD

Vysez said:
jvd said:
yea and vf3 tb is all we play . My sister has vf4 for the ps2 but we wont touch it , we tried but the controls were bad .
Choosing to play VF3tb over VF4Evo is criminal.

I, just like most of the VF fans, act as if VF3tb never existed (especially the shoddy DC port made Genki).
what good is a game if the controller sucks ?

vfs3tb is a solid port and once u get used to it its fine esp with the arcade sticks . Its the vf4 that is criminal to play on a ds 2 controler

The games look great -- the kind of effort Sega Sammy like to put into their own proprietary systems. They've been working with well-developed PowerVR prototype hardware longer than the next generation consoles. The Sonic demo ran at full speed and was actually played during the presentation -- a strange thing to look so good and complete when every real-time X360 game was running on ~30% hardware. The game was being played with a SEGA Saturn controller. No specific console target was labeled; the presentation was simply a next-generation Sega Sammy demonstration entitled 'Sega's Next Level'. They said the games were running on an undisclosed "hardware" as opposed to "console". They said the games were coming sooner than expected, and SEGA wouldn't likely be talking about a surprise X360 launch nor trying to differentiate between PS3 and some X360 exclusivity deal.

How was the anti-aliasing?

well if its coming sooner than expected i would say an arcade launch for all but sonic (Tahts not really and arcade type game ) and then mabye an x360 launch for most of them ? I 'd think it be a waste if they waited till next year to put them on a system

jvd said:
vfs3tb is a solid port and once u get used to it its fine esp with the arcade sticks .
The port is awful, even the timings are botched. Genki screwed up big time with VF3tb DC.
jvd said:
Its the vf4 that is criminal to play on a ds 2 controler
You can play it with an Hori pad. Or even with the Saturn PS2 pad.
Lazy8s said:
How was the anti-aliasing?
:LOL:

The port is awful, even the timings are botched. Genki screwed up big time with VF3tb DC.
the timings are fine when u get used to them . You just didn't play enough. I felt the timings of virtual fighter remix on the saturn was off but i got used to it

You can play it with an Hori pad. Or even with the Saturn PS2 pad.
bah i'm not going to waste money on it !!!

amk said:
TEXAN said:
I was right the demo's were indeed running on the Lindbergh

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8760
Even assuming Spong isn't talking rubbish, there's no reason to conclude the demos are on the PowerVR arcade machine. PS3 and X360 will surely have arcade versions - perhaps Gamespy and Spong are both correct, and VF5 and HOTD were on X360 arcade hardware?

Anyway, I think they're both wrong. Clearly Chrome Hounds is running on the next gen N-Gage ;)

No, there shall be no arcade hardware based on home consoles this time around -

Says Hiroshi Yagi, Corporate Officer in AM Product R&D Division, SEGA CORPORATION: “The inherent benefits of PowerVR, which are well known to SEGA, will be utilized to deliver interactive experiences that will amaze gamers worldwide and continue SEGA’s legacy of innovation and excellence. SEGA’s new arcade platform, which will be at the forefront of Sega’s current board strategy across all video game genres, will deliver cutting edge gaming, exceeding any other videogame system in the world.â€￾

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?ID=194

Yes, i didn't see any jaggies in those next level demo's meaning that whichever hardware the games were running on was capable of atleast 16x MSAA4FREE.

TEXAN said:
Yes, i didn't see any jaggies in those next level demo's meaning that whichever hardware the games were running on was capable of atleast 16x MSAA 4FREE.

Sure. I mean it's easy for Sega to do something that it probably won't be done on any other architecture (PC or consoles) for 5 years or more.
Why are ATI and NVIDIA still in business i wonder!! :rolleyes:

Not sure if I got this right, but isn't it less expensive to do AA on a TBDR than a IMR? Isn't this one of the reasons why MBX has FSAA4Freeâ„¢?

PC-Engine said:
Not sure if I got this right, but isn't it less expensive to do AA on a TBDR than a IMR? Isn't this one of the reasons why MBX has FSAA4Freeâ„¢?

Yeah.. but 16xMSAA? For free? I'll believe it when i see it. Many times. Less expensive, probably. Free? Nothing's free.

TEXAN said:
Yes, i didn't see any jaggies in those next level demo's meaning that whichever hardware the games were running on was capable of atleast 16x MSAA4FREE.
The video was so small and blurry you'd struggle to see jaggies with no AA.

That's not true london-boy. Lot's of things are free.

The Saturn pad is the best controller ever for fighting games period. No more arguments over that.

Speaking of Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle, it is a botched port that has quite a few glitches. It's an excellent title in its own right but does not come close to the Model 3 version. The graphics are slightly worse in some areas and better than others. The fluidity of movement isn't the same and there are a lot of changes. The port was not what I expect in a home version of one of the greatest fighting games of all time. If someone wants to compare then let me know.

jvd, I am surprised at you. You sound like you love the Virtua Fighter series. And if you are an avid player then you would know that an arcade pad is really the only way to go and not a controller.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Yeah.. but 16xMSAA? For free? I'll believe it when i see it. Many times. Less expensive, probably. Free? Nothing's free.
Activating MSAA on ATi or NVidia hardware hits performance as the subpixels consume bandwidth. On a TBDR, the MS subpixels can be kept in on-chip tile cache, so activating MSAA does not hit performace. Presumably this is what PowerVR MBX's FSAA4Free does.

It is not, of course, free in terms of transistors.

IMHO free 16x RGMS on PowerVR S5 is at least possible even if very unlikely. It would certainly comprehensively eliminate jaggies, as can be seen in pages 4 and 5 of Beyond3D's Wildcat III and SuperScene AA review. [Edit: SuperScene AA is stochastic, not rotated grid. Well, close enough.]

No, that isn't free. Well, at least not in terms of performance. We still have a long way to go with features such as AA when we will be able to truly eliminate jaggies. I'm dissapointed with the current level of ATI cards when it comes to FSAA. That could be because I'm a big fan of 8x and higher, especially when it is usable in some type of 3d form.

jvd, I am surprised at you. You sound like you love the Virtua Fighter series. And if you are an avid player then you would know that an arcade pad is really the only way to go and not a controller.
I do , i have the saturn arcade pads that i use on my dc . I don't own a ps2 so i don't own any pads for it (neither does my sister )

Sure. I mean it's easy for Sega to do something that it probably won't be done on any other architecture (PC or consoles) for 5 years or more.
Why are ATI and NVIDIA still in business i wonder!!

Well l-b how much does an arcade board cost ? 10 grand ? 5 grand ? How much more is that than a console ? So is it hard to assume that if the x360 can do 4x fsaa for almost free that a console that costs many many times more than a console and costs more than double that of a high end pc can't do it ?

I don't think 16x but I can see them easily doing a 8x or a hybrid just fine

jvd:
Well l-b how much does an arcade board cost ? 10 grand ? 5 grand ? How much more is that than a console ?
Even at the same cost, a TBDLR processor could have better anti-aliasing than a conventional processor because it moves intensive operations like sampling off of both the off-chip bus and the framebuffer. Even ATi's Smart 3D Memory approach only does the former but not the latter.

Arcade boards aren't close to $5,000 by today's standards. I think the beefed up Xbox board was only around $400 to produce. The cabinets are still a bit pricy, but that isn't saying much.

jvd said:
Well l-b how much does an arcade board cost ? 10 grand ? 5 grand ? How much more is that than a console ? So is it hard to assume that if the x360 can do 4x fsaa for almost free that a console that costs many many times more than a console and costs more than double that of a high end pc can't do it ?

Arcade boards might cost the arcade owner that much, but the board itself does not cost that much to produce, not even close, like Sonic said.

I don't think 16x but I can see them easily doing a 8x or a hybrid just fine

Well then you agree with me.

Back