I have managed to get a hold of the specs to SEGA SAMMY'S next arcade board

SH-7 3.5Ghz + FLOATING POINT ACCELERATOR
POWERVR SERIES-5 700Mhz + ELAN 2
1GB GDDR4 UMA

Capabilities-

2.5 Billion polygons per second gameplay sustained
100Gpixels [deffered]
100Gtexels [deffered]

The board shall be unveiled on the first day of Jamma 2005 on the 1st September.

Elan 2? GDDR4? 2.5 Billions PPS? SuperH-7?

Let me guess this is pure invention, isn't it?

And if it's true, why would ImgTec continue to have a separate chip for the TnL.

TEXAN said:
Found this link over at opa-ages

http://s12.invisionfree.com/UNOFFICIAL_UKR_FORUM/index.php?showtopic=13

1GB GDDR4 UMA

Capabilities-

100Gpixels [deffered]
100Gtexels [deffered]

The board shall be unveiled on the first day of Jamma 2005 on the 1st September.

I say fake, until we see some official press releases from Sega-Sammy and or ImgTec.

besides, there would be no need for an "ELAN 2", a seperate geometry processor, since PowerVR5 would have advanced vertex shaders / geometry engines, on-chip - as would the older cancelled PowerVR4.

TEXAN said:

1GB GDDR4 UMA

Capabilities-

100Gpixels [deffered]
100Gtexels [deffered]

IS there a Super H-7? At that speed?
What floating point accelerator, unless it means the PPU sega licensed.
2.5 billion polys per second sustained? I'd say probably not, maybe that's the system's theoretical max transform rate.
100GPixels and Gtexels? Even with 5 times overdraw, 20GPixels and 20Gtexels would still be a very fast part without overdraw.

TEXAN said:

1GB GDDR4 UMA

Capabilities-

100Gpixels [deffered]
100Gtexels [deffered]

LOL...with that much capability and that is all Sega could come up with? If that is true, then Sega doesn't deserve to be in this business anymore.... :devilish:
That spec looks so fake that it is not even funny.

Megadrive1988 said:
TEXAN said:

1GB GDDR4 UMA

Capabilities-

100Gpixels [deffered]
100Gtexels [deffered]

I say fake, until we see some official press releases from Sega-Sammy and or ImgTec.

I am not saying the spec is true, but this spec isn't too far fetch and isn't mind blowing either. It looks like a 16 pipe solution with 10x overdraw being quoted. Maybe it has a really beefed up triangle setup engine enabling 2.5 b pps figure *shrugs*

SH7 is the elusive multicore part from the SuperH, but there has been no progress report since its announcement of its development. But not many processors have progress PR either.

besides, there would be no need for an "ELAN 2", a seperate geometry processor, since PowerVR5 would have advanced vertex shaders / geometry engines, on-chip - as would the older cancelled PowerVR4.

It might be what they call their vertex shader, they can't use vertex shader because that's a DirectX term.

Or maybe its a solution like 3DLabs one. With seperate vertex and pixel processor on different chip. PVR5 spec was never revealed AFAIK.

V3 said:
It might be what they call their vertex shader, they can't use vertex shader because that's a DirectX term.
Vertex Shader is not a trademark of MSFT, ImgTec could use it.
V3 said:
Or maybe its a solution like 3DLabs one. With seperate vertex and pixel processor on different chip.
On an embedded system like an arcade, where pixel processing is more important than geometry, I don't really see the immediate usefulness of such a setup.

amk said:
<ignorant oik>Is that HDR lighting in sega12.jpg?</ignorant oik>
No, that's not HDR.

I know it's not fair to compare RE4 to this game but I'm going to do it anyway. RE4 kills the graphics in this game so either Lindberg isn't that powerful or SEGA didn't put that much attention into the graphics either because of talent or cost. :?

PC-Engine said:
I know it's not fair to compare RE4 to this game but I'm going to do it anyway. RE4 kills the graphics in this game so either Lindberg isn't that powerful or SEGA didn't put that much attention into the graphics either because of talent or cost. :?

I agree those shots look terrible.

Let's wait untill the arcade board is properly revealed in the near future before we break or praise. But I do agree these shots look not good for a next-generation high-end board, it might be a very early work in progress...

If it is a Xbox 360 based arcade board it could very well be like the alpha games we've seen running on Xbox 360 in May.

Evil_Cloud said:
Let's wait untill the arcade board is properly revealed in the near future before we break or praise. But I do agree these shots look not good for a next-generation high-end board, it might be a very early work in progress...
The game is already beta testing, the only progress possible at this stage see are gameplay related, with some bug tracking here and there.
There won't be new models, new textures or new shaders now.

Vysez said:
Vertex Shader is not a trademark of MSFT, ImgTec could use it.

Fair enough.

On an embedded system like an arcade, where pixel processing is more important than geometry, I don't really see the immediate usefulness of such a setup.

Sega is probably more at home with vertex processing. They are not up to the West anyway in term of pixel processing used in their games. These shots of HOTD4 probably tells the story quite well.

Beside their Arcade games are mostly Racing, Fighting and Sports. They probably could use higher polygon rate.

Lazy8s said:
Being ready since early in the year as it is, it's already over at least one generation in graphics release before X360 and two before PS3.
I think you have your generations crossed between the X360 and PS3. The Xenos' unified shader architecture is the unavoidable future of PC gaming graphics tech, whereas the RSX is based on an existing PC architecture. The G70 (RSX-alike) was launched recently and the R600 (unified shaders) won't be out until next year/generation. So if the PVR5 was ready early this year, it's one (or more like half) generation behind the PS3 graphics technology and 2 generations behind the X360 tech.

That reference was not to architectural generations, but to product generations. With a realtime public debut timed for E3, Lindbergh has been running full speed games for some time now while X360 hardware was still at only a small fraction of its final speed. With even the initial Lindbergh titles getting a full development cycle, they wouldn't start coming out until mid-2006 had they instead waited to use X360 arcade hardware (putting their debut after the release of both the PS3 and X360), assuming Sega Sammy could even secure sufficient supply of the custom X360 parts from Microsoft and their partners during their launch.

I doubt that Lindbergh = X360. Sega have to at least have something different to ensure success in the arcades. Then again it's funny how peoples' 'impressions' of screenshots will change according to what platform they believe the game is running on. I still regard these as 'in developement'
screenshots and will judge the game on its technical merits when I see the finished version in motion.

even though it is remotely possible that Lindbergh is based on Xbox360, I highly doubt it, I really do.

It's probably an early version of PowerVR Series 5.

way back in the mid 1990s, were there not a few arcade boards based on early PowerVR Series 1 technology with seperate ISP and TSP chips? (Simon F might remember) ??

another explaination for HOTD4 graphics, is, maybe its not Series 5 at all, but a really beefy implementation of a MBX derivate. but I know that Lazy8s would disagree with that (and I would tend to myself) because the lowend Aurora board is meant to be using a beefy MBX chip.

Back