House Of The Dead 4 arcade - on test in Japan

It's Series 5, but not the newest implementation, Eurasia.

If any current MBX were actually capable of running the graphics in the Lindbergh Next Level presentation, mobile graphics technology would've just time traveled years into the future. So... definitely not MBX.

By early next year, product which PowerVR will be offering will apparently come from one of two processor families: MBX for the power restrictive markets, and Eurasia for everything else. MBX is supposedly getting a new generation later in 2005, and Eurasia is the updated Series 5 architecture that'll be offered from now on. This will make the earlier implementation of Series 5 in use by Sega Sammy the odd processor out of the families, not actually a part of any continuing line.

Sega Sammy will possibly link multiples of their boards together and potentially even change over to Eurasia, with a hopefully painless update of dev tools, sometime down the line when they want to upgrade their set-ups.

I think come 2010 SEGA SAMMY will release it's own console based on Lindbergh 2 or Lindbergh 3. If MushiKing really takes off and becomes as huge as Pokemon if not bigger then I'd say it'll only be a matter of time.

PC-Engine said:
This is all fine and dandy, but WTF happened to NAOMI 3 and VF5??? :rolleyes:

VF5 is gauranteed to be on the way. Naomi is related to Series 2 whereas Lindbergh is related to Series 5.

PC-Engine said:
NAOMI 2 is comparable to GCN and Xbox, however, since the PowerVR GPU is older technology, it may have difficulty matching the former at water effects. Does anybody know how good N2 is at water effects? I know it has a very good fixed function TnL unit, but that's probably not enough to compete with GCN and Xbox when it comes to water effects.
The Virtua Striker series improved considerably graphically when it moved from Naomi 2 to Triforce Hardware. I dont think they would have changed to Triforce if it wasnt more powerfull than Naomi 2.

Nightz said:
PC-Engine said:
NAOMI 2 is comparable to GCN and Xbox, however, since the PowerVR GPU is older technology, it may have difficulty matching the former at water effects. Does anybody know how good N2 is at water effects? I know it has a very good fixed function TnL unit, but that's probably not enough to compete with GCN and Xbox when it comes to water effects.
The Virtua Striker series improved considerably graphically when it moved from Naomi 2 to Triforce Hardware. I dont think they would have changed to Triforce if it wasnt more powerfull than Naomi 2.

What? SEGA uses all three arcade boards based on the three home consoles GCN, Xbox, PS2 so the console ports would be easier. It has nothing to do with more powerful or not. I'd say N2 is comparable to GCN and Xbox.

PC-Engine said:
Betamax said:
PC-Engine said:
This is all fine and dandy, but WTF happened to NAOMI 3 and VF5??? :rolleyes:

VF5 is gauranteed to be on the way. Naomi is related to Series 2 whereas Lindbergh is related to Series 5.

But NAOMI 2 games still look leagues better than Lindergh...

There is no doubt that Lindbergh will outperform Naomi 2 in terms of graphical performance. If it did not outperform Naomi 2 then Sega would have stuck with Chihiro instead -at least until an X360 board was available.

The liquid effects in VF4 look fine to me. It also depends on what you mean when you talk about "water effects" as this could be just randomly undulating water or water that is reacting to objects in a realistic way (like in the PS3 demo for example). There's also always many tricks, both ahrdware and software that can be implemented to improve any graphical effect. I for one liked the water effect in Tekken 4, though I can't really think of any examples on the other consoles right now.

Lindbergh = PS3 or XBox360 based???

System Special = Custom PowerVR based???

HOTD4 = Lindbergh

VF5/Sonic/Afterburner = System Special

That would definitly explain the visual disparity between the HOTD4 and the rest (Sonic/VF5/Afterburner) in the vid we saw at E3.

If this is true then that would mean Sega Sammy will reveal 3 new systems on September the 1st.

Aurora - Low End
Lindbergh - Mid End
System Special - High End

TEXAN said:
Lindbergh = PS3 or XBox360 based???

System Special = Custom PowerVR based???

HOTD4 = Lindbergh

VF5/Sonic/Afterburner = System Special

That would definitly explain the visual disparity between the HOTD4 and the rest (Sonic/VF5/Afterburner) in the vid we saw at E3.

If this is true then that would mean Sega Sammy will reveal 3 new systems on September the 1st.

Aurora - Low End
Lindbergh - Mid End
System Special - High End

System Special? Do you mean future configurations of Lindbergh? I think most of this Lindbergh = X360/PS3 stuff is just wishful thinking. There's significant evidence that Lindbergh is the Series 5-based board, though I wish Sega would just make that absolutely clear. I still consider the current crop of screenshots (not the photos) as 'in development' shots, as indicated by the lack of arcade stats and the fact that 2 of the shots appear on the arcade flyer for the game (indicating that they were produced at least a while before the game went on show).

I watched Shog's E3 vid again and this is what the female announcer says between the end of the Chrome Hounds demo and the start of the VF demo: "OK, now for something even more exclusive; from our world-class Sega [inaudible] developemnt studios comes a little surprise; an exciting technology demonstration that is not a pre-rendered movie (I don't know whether or not this was implying that Chrome Hounds et al were not realtime) that will blow your mind. So without further ado, let's begin."

Then follows VF, AfterBurner, HotD4 and Sonic, until the announcer says: "What you are seeing is being controlled in realtime." during the Sonic demo.

At the end she says: "In fact I want to remind everyone that this entire performance was done without prerendered graphics. This "Next Level" that you've just witnessed may be coming sooner than you think. This concludes bla bla..."

Now who can't wait until September?

Sega Sammy trademarked the name System SP for an arcade system last year.

I'm assuming the SP stands for Special.

TEXAN said:
Sega Sammy trademarked the name System SP for an arcade system last year.

I'm assuming the SP stands for Special.

I'd forgotten about System SP -whatever it is. My uninformed guess: the new internet arcade system; integrating both cards and arcade-online play.

Complete speculation, though Sega do need a new system to replace vfnet.

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=55221

This proves it, Lindbergh is X360 based.

If you watch the E3 Next Level demo you will see that Virtua Fighter , Sonic and Afterburner have this CG Pixar/Dreamworks quality about them, all being done in realtime, but then when you look at HOTD4 in the same demo it looks more in line with high end PC or the sort of graphics that we have seen in X360 games such as Condemned, Full Auto.

Again nobody knows for certain but I am willing to bet that Lindbergh is 360 and that the PowerVR solution is System SP. Lindbergh being unvieled at Jamma on Sept 1 and releasing in arcades in November. And System SP may be unveiled at AOU in Jan/feb and first games[vf5?] released in the Spring.

Back