SEGA shows off next gen Virta Fighter, Sonic and more

Sindre

Regular
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59216

SEGA today unveiled a quartet of exciting next-generation technical demonstrations in its Next Level cinema on the E3 show floor, giving us a glimpse of how Virtua Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, what we think was Afterburner and what plainly was House of the Dead will look like on future console systems.

The company also showed off From Software's Xbox Live-enabled mech combat title Chrome Hounds, which looks extraordinary, detailing mech units right down to the individual joint movements and sniper-style cannons poking through rubble. But more on that later. First, those tech demos.

SEGA's commitment to the next generation of gaming consoles isn't in any doubt, with Xbox 360 titles Condemned (Monolith) and Full Auto (Pseudo Interactive) built upon previously unseen levels of visual detail as well as enticing gameplay principles, but today at E3 the publisher took things a little further, showing off what it called real time "Next Level" technical demonstrations.
Advertisement

The Virtua Fighter demo featured a pair of characters simply showing off their moves in isolation through a variety of backdrops, and the level of detail was astounding. Completely lifelike, with legs and arms moving freely and believably, with clothing that caught and kept or reflected the lighting around them exquisitely.

The demo we've described as Afterburner (forgive us if we're wrong; your young correspondent isn't particularly "up" on that franchise) saw the player tagging up multiple enemies Rez-style then raking across them with missiles, and diving through highly detailed valleys, sun bouncing off the water and fuselage, and every last piece of foliage or wreckage on the ground articulated to a degree simply unseen on current generation machines.

Likewise House of the Dead, which featured enormous numbers of decrepit looking zombies lurching after the two main characters, looked more impressive than anything on current gen, and probably did more for us than Capcom's Dead Rising zombie-'em-up; untold zombie hordes clawing at the other side of cracking glass as anxious player faces reflected off it. It ended as an enormous towering beast stormed through an archway and dangled its oozing tongue in the player's face.

Saving its most popular character for the last, SEGA concluded on a Sonic demo, which the demonstration MC was keen to emphasise was being controlled in real time. The sense of speed and detail levels as Sonic raced through the foliage were reminiscent of the CG seen in past Sonic titles, and there were no shortcuts - you could really see the blue blur's legs spinning as he pelted along. The demo ended as an army of robotic adversaries descended upon Sonic and blew him away, only for the little hedgehog to spring into the air and go Super Sonic; the curtain falling as he propelled himself Neo-in-The-Matrix-like Superman-style toward them.

Although none of the demos were confirmed as full games in development, and a specific platform wasn't mentioned either, the implication was clear, and the visual quality on display was enough for us to rush out here and write it all up immediately.

:oops: Can't wait to see Virtua Fighter in action! Not THAT impressed by the short Tekken teaser, it would be nice to see what VF can do :)

They have Sonic and VF next-gen demos, and they show us Condemned and this 5Th Phanthom crap? Well, it's Sega...

hey69 said:
so was it realtime or CGI ? 8)

Every portion of the video looked impressive, but Sega representatives were adamant that none of the visuals were pre-rendered (possibly in response to the controversy over Sony's PS3 demos).

1Up

Check out that link and this for more details on the video.

- Z

http://www.playmagazine.com/blogger/index.php?id=26

Today was great for many reasons: talking to Starbreeze about their upcoming 360 game The Darkness for Majesco, meeting Aeon Flux creator Peter Chung, interviewing Dee Lee, producer of the amazing Kingdom Under Fire Heroes and Yoshinori Sasaki on Ys PSP (which smashes the PS2 version) but none so eventful—nay—life altering as seeing Sonic in real-time on Xbox 360. The lines between consoles really begin to blur when you throw a game like Sonic into the mix. The bottom line is that content is what drives hardware and we’re so early into this it’s crazy to call it for anyone. Nintendo, wisely, is practically on an island so, we all win there regardless. I’m super excited about the Micro and the Revolution.

PS3 is certainly all powerful but seeing a game like Sonic—not to mention Afterburner (which will simply blow your mind) Virtua Fighter, and House of the Dead—really puts things in perspective. On the PS3 front I was surprised to here skeptics speculating over how much of what we saw was “real-timeâ€. Clearly most of the demos were scripted sections of real-time in-game visuals; however, The Getaway demo and UbiSoft’s impressive FPS Killing Day alone (both obviously live in-engine) prove the PS3 is all that and a serious dose of reality. Back to Sonic though…Imagine a perfectly rendered Sonic zooming through photo realistic forest and relics bursting with Naka design, letting out into vast open areas surrounded by mountains so real you’d swear they were 100% real. It was like the anime opening from Sonic CD in the real world: Absolute euphoria. I seriously nearly wept. There’s really no way I can describe it. Hopefully Sega will release the footage to the public in the near future.

Two more days and then we get to begin putting all of this madness into perspective in print where we live. I’m really looking forward to buttoning up the July issue after the show. I know there’s a ton of stuff all over the web so, hopefully our spin on E3 will bring some fresh perspective. I just had to tell who ever is listening that Sonic is (unofficially) coming to 360 and, for anyone who grew up playing Sonic games , it’s going to feel like the first time all over again.

The House of the Dead, Virtua Fighter, and Afterburner are arcade properties, and the demos appear to have quite a bit of work put into them already. Perhaps they come from Sega Sammy's development work with their next-generation high-end PowerVR arcade board.

Button_NextLevel.gif

:cry: Can it be my sega is coming back to me ? :cry: Can it be the era of crappy games is gone and sega will rise from the ashes

I have such high hopes for sonic and vf . Hopefully they come out on more than one system

Back